What exercise did you do today?

NUance

I think I did personal best tricep extensions and skullcrushers today. 42.5 pounds with a curlbar. I know I've had 10 pound plates on it for them before but I don't know how much heavier I got. I'll just have to add 6.25 more pounds to each side and then I'll know I've beaten it. That should only take me about... 6 weeks.

I assume you're counting the weight of the bar in ,yes?

Chest day. Tried floor press after regular bench as an accessory movement. Can already tell I'll be really sore tomorrow.

Chest day. Tried floor press after regular bench as an accessory movement. Can already tell I'll be really sore tomorrow.

I have never tried floor presses...I have been doing a lot of pause work when it comes to bench and squat. On bench, I would set my safety bars where they are an inch above my chest. I would then proceed to start benching and would lower the bar till it rested on the safety bars, count a 3 Mississippi and then press back up. It's an ass kicker. I do the same for squats.

Floor press is a bitch! Rest and Pause I do all the time now.

What's the purpose of the floor press (over doing other chest exercises)? It's all I did before I got a bench (but didn't realize it had a name until now). I always assumed I was missing out on range of motion and thought that was bad, so I stopped doing them.

Nothing really...It is just a variation of bench that works on the top part of your bench. A lot of people will get stuck about halfway up while doing bench and this will help you over come that. You can do more weight also which in turns will help when you do a full motion bench. I have never tried floor presses but have done towel bench and have used the safety bars on the power rack to stop the bar half way. It is a good way to increase your bench numbers and to get stronger.

I think I did personal best tricep extensions and skullcrushers today. 42.5 pounds with a curlbar. I know I've had 10 pound plates on it for them before but I don't know how much heavier I got. I'll just have to add 6.25 more pounds to each side and then I'll know I've beaten it. That should only take me about... 6 weeks.

Mmhm

• Fire 1

Mmhm

That's pretty good! Keep plugging away. I don't count bar weight with the EZ bars and such, mostly because I never knew what they weighed and was too lazy to care.

Anyways, skull crushers were one of my favorites. I could make progresd on those every week till I got bad elbow pain and switch to DB skull crushers. I've been stuck using 30 to 35lb DBs in each hand ever since. Hopefully I can get 40s next week.

Floor press is a good accessory for someone who has a tough time with the top portion of the bench movement. It also really works your core and lats if it's done correctly.

Deadlift day. Did deficit deads as the accessory and incorporated other pull movements. Back day is best day imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I started running a couple years ago, and started at 250 lbs. I've gotten down to 210 (at 6'2"). I've been stuck at this weight for a year, and since January I amped up my running from 6 miles a week to about 12 miles a week, with zero change. and after a bad case of shin splints, I've had to take a hiatus. I'm cutting down to running to either a single 5K weekly (after a hiatus to let my shins heal) or two 2 miles sprint intervals, and have started the Stronglifts 5x5 program. Since I hate going to gyms, I got all the equipment and put it in my garage. Wish me luck!

• Fire 1

After 4 years of running and hitting a recent plateau (6'2, 210) along with a bad case of shin splints, I'm cutting down to running a single 5K weekly (after a hiatus to let my shins heal), and have started the Stronglifts 5x5 program. Since I hate going to gyms, I got all the equipment and put it in my garage. Wish me luck!

Shin Splints are no bueno. Holy crap I got them really bad 3 years ago due to jump roping every day. At least I think that's what did it. Couldn't even pitch a softball for slowpitch without feeling like shins were gunna fall apart. I had to start taking 6 ibuprofen before every game. So basically twice a week.

Good Luck! I loved having the gym equipment in a shed back when I had roommates, it made it so much easier to do what you need to do in the short amount of time.

For me, I have been doing 7 lifts, at 30 second rest between sets, and 45 second rest moving from lift to lift. I get in and out in about 50 mins. No matter the lift, I do 10x10x8x6 for the sets.

After 4 years of running and hitting a recent plateau (6'2, 210) along with a bad case of shin splints, I'm cutting down to running a single 5K weekly (after a hiatus to let my shins heal), and have started the Stronglifts 5x5 program. Since I hate going to gyms, I got all the equipment and put it in my garage. Wish me luck!

Shin Splints are no bueno. Holy crap I got them really bad 3 years ago due to jump roping every day. At least I think that's what did it. Couldn't even pitch a softball for slowpitch without feeling like shins were gunna fall apart. I had to start taking 6 ibuprofen before every game. So basically twice a week.

Good Luck! I loved having the gym equipment in a shed back when I had roommates, it made it so much easier to do what you need to do in the short amount of time.

For me, I have been doing 7 lifts, at 30 second rest between sets, and 45 second rest moving from lift to lift. I get in and out in about 50 mins. No matter the lift, I do 10x10x8x6 for the sets.

I hit 30 last year, and I'm done with dadbod. I have a desk job, so I needed to change things up. I don't eat bad at all, so I needed to add more exercise and strength training. Other than doing one of those beach body programs with my wife for a couple months, I haven't really lifted since high school, so I figured 5x5 was a good start so I don't hurt myself. I figure a mix of that with some HIIT sprints one or two days a week should help me reach my goal of 190 (really shooting for 200 by Thanksgiving).

Good goals! I'm not far behind you in age. Will be 28 in January. Lifting will REALLY make a difference in your results. Doing a ton of cardio will actually start to break down muscle (protein) for energy, especially for long runs.

After all, more muscle = more energy burn through out the day and at rest. I'll be curious to see how things end up for you by thanksgiving!

As of right now, I'm not doing any cardio, just lifting, but after I get a solid 5 weeks (On week 2 now) in of lifting, I will start to put in 10-15 minutes of stationary bike 2-3 times a week. I'm not as much worried about the number on the scale as I am about the percentage of body fat I'm carrying around. I'm 6'2 and 275, with about 25% BF. I am a PE major at UNK so it's time to finally get serious about "looking the part". I figure by next March/April/May (Interviewing time) I can look a lot different and feel a lot different than I do now

Being consistent with my workouts have always been my issue. So I've got a better plan in place to help me get my workouts in than before. Consistency is key!

I started running a couple years ago, and started at 250 lbs. I've gotten down to 210 (at 6'2"). I've been stuck at this weight for a year, and since January I amped up my running from 6 miles a week to about 12 miles a week, with zero change. and after a bad case of shin splints, I've had to take a hiatus. I'm cutting down to running to either a single 5K weekly (after a hiatus to let my shins heal) or two 2 miles sprint intervals, and have started the Stronglifts 5x5 program. Since I hate going to gyms, I got all the equipment and put it in my garage. Wish me luck!

I've got the same issue but from the opposite approach. I lost 45lbs lifting, with almost no cardio. I'm 6'1" and between 215-220 at the moment (was at 220 all last year). Now I am struggling to lose the fat I have left. I'm going to try and amp up my cardio, and be much more strict with diet. Don't forget your caloric needs are changing as you lose weight. Less mass means less calories to maintain.

I hit 30 last year, and I'm done with dadbod. I have a desk job, so I needed to change things up. I don't eat bad at all, so I needed to add more exercise and strength training. Other than doing one of those beach body programs with my wife for a couple months, I haven't really lifted since high school, so I figured 5x5 was a good start so I don't hurt myself. I figure a mix of that with some HIIT sprints one or two days a week should help me reach my goal of 190 (really shooting for 200 by Thanksgiving).

I think that you will find that these make all the difference. I advise everyone to incorporate them and other variants into their workouts.