I know this is kind of irrelevant to this game, but why in the yewt did Nebraska get rid of Solich? Didn't he win at least 10 games per year? Anyway I think you got a good coach now and will make some waves in the Big 10 the next few years.

There were a lot of factors involved in Frank's dismissal, not all of them football-related. Some had to do with Athletic Dept. politics, some had to do with behavioral concerns, some had to do with football. It's telling that nobody has hired Frank away from Ohio in the intervening years. He's a good football coach. He's not a great football coach.

What's the general feeling in Husker land about the Riley hire? I think he's a solid hire. Maybe not glamorous, but a diamond in the rough.

BYU Fan here. Just what I think about the game and maybe some things that you may be interested in knowing about BYU. I am not sure what I think of the game or any prediction I can make. For the most part I think it will be a higher scoring game.

The past several years BYU has had pretty stout defenses. Even though they have played a lot of yard trash, their defense has held traditional rushing teams to low yardage. Ole Miss had two 1000+ rushers on their team and the BYU defense was solid. They have performed well against decent running teams from P5 conferences. Bronco, the head coach, is a genius when it comes to defense. However, last year was a big change for the BYU defense. Bronco turned the defense over to Nick Howell who was promoted to DC. Nick Howell, never played college ball and coached high school football where he had 3 wins and 30+ losses. I think at one point he had 24 losses in a row. He is not College Coach material, technically he isn't high school coach material. Half way through the year, Bronco took over play calling duties from Nick, who still ran team meetings and practices. BYU still had some terrible losses. This year Bronco is keeping play calling duties, but NIck is still in charge of practices, meetings and drills. The same situation for the last half of the year last year. When it comes to defense, BYU will be sorely under prepared and coached. Technically the only reason, Nick has a job is that he is Bronco's best friend.

Even though Riley is 1-2 vs BYU as a coach, his last win was very impressive and he did it with a back up QB. What Riley did was went Max protect and let the receivers get open. BYU has a very weak pass rush, trouble disguising blitz's and the CB's are lacking. Unless something has changed, if Riley has problems running against BYU, expect him to use this tactic. Even if your QB isn't that great, I would say he is probably, at least, on par with Oregon States back-up.

BYU's strength this year is their offense. Taysom Hill is a stud. He has several very tall receivers and some experienced OL people. The major running back is out for the year due to a possible Honor Code violation (probably something stupid like swearing in public). The back up running back has some skill and isn't too bad, but it drops off after that. Anae the OC has created potent offenses in the past and will probably have a pretty potent offense that can score pretty easy.

There will probably be several players suspended because of the brawl last year. Many of the players are defensive players. The combination of bad coaching, suspended players, little pass rush, and weak DB's suggests you guys should probably score at will.

I don't know who will win. As a BYU fan I will say BYU, but wouldn't bet money on it. I think it will be a close, high scoring game.

It'l be a high scoring game. Taysom will run all over Nebraskas D, but unfortunately Nebraska will run over our D. BYU 43 Nebraska 41.
Not sold on that. We're just gonna put a spy on Tasom and have our D-Line eat his lunch. This isn't Utah state, Nevada, UCF, Middle Tenn, or Savannah State you are playing.

BYU Fan here. Just what I think about the game and maybe some things that you may be interested in knowing about BYU. I am not sure what I think of the game or any prediction I can make. For the most part I think it will be a higher scoring game.

The past several years BYU has had pretty stout defenses. Even though they have played a lot of yard trash, their defense has held traditional rushing teams to low yardage. Ole Miss had two 1000+ rushers on their team and the BYU defense was solid. They have performed well against decent running teams from P5 conferences. Bronco, the head coach, is a genius when it comes to defense. However, last year was a big change for the BYU defense. Bronco turned the defense over to Nick Howell who was promoted to DC. Nick Howell, never played college ball and coached high school football where he had 3 wins and 30+ losses. I think at one point he had 24 losses in a row. He is not College Coach material, technically he isn't high school coach material. Half way through the year, Bronco took over play calling duties from Nick, who still ran team meetings and practices. BYU still had some terrible losses. This year Bronco is keeping play calling duties, but NIck is still in charge of practices, meetings and drills. The same situation for the last half of the year last year. When it comes to defense, BYU will be sorely under prepared and coached. Technically the only reason, Nick has a job is that he is Bronco's best friend.

Even though Riley is 1-2 vs BYU as a coach, his last win was very impressive and he did it with a back up QB. What Riley did was went Max protect and let the receivers get open. BYU has a very weak pass rush, trouble disguising blitz's and the CB's are lacking. Unless something has changed, if Riley has problems running against BYU, expect him to use this tactic. Even if your QB isn't that great, I would say he is probably, at least, on par with Oregon States back-up.

BYU's strength this year is their offense. Taysom Hill is a stud. He has several very tall receivers and some experienced OL people. The major running back is out for the year due to a possible Honor Code violation (probably something stupid like swearing in public). The back up running back has some skill and isn't too bad, but it drops off after that. Anae the OC has created potent offenses in the past and will probably have a pretty potent offense that can score pretty easy.

There will probably be several players suspended because of the brawl last year. Many of the players are defensive players. The combination of bad coaching, suspended players, little pass rush, and weak DB's suggests you guys should probably score at will.

I don't know who will win. As a BYU fan I will say BYU, but wouldn't bet money on it. I think it will be a close, high scoring game.

It'l be a high scoring game. Taysom will run all over Nebraskas D, but unfortunately Nebraska will run over our D. BYU 43 Nebraska 41.
Not sold on that. We're just gonna put a spy on Tasom and have our D-Line eat his lunch. This isn't Utah state, Nevada, UCF, Middle Tenn, or Savannah State you are playing.

Please do. Ask Texas how tough it is to contain him. He'll run around a linebacker and through a DB.

I know this is kind of irrelevant to this game, but why in the yewt did Nebraska get rid of Solich? Didn't he win at least 10 games per year? Anyway I think you got a good coach now and will make some waves in the Big 10 the next few years.

There were a lot of factors involved in Frank's dismissal, not all of them football-related. Some had to do with Athletic Dept. politics, some had to do with behavioral concerns, some had to do with football. It's telling that nobody has hired Frank away from Ohio in the intervening years. He's a good football coach. He's not a great football coach.

What's the general feeling in Husker land about the Riley hire? I think he's a solid hire. Maybe not glamorous, but a diamond in the rough.

Guarded optimism. The first reaction was a collective, "Who?!?!" Then people did some research, found lots of good, lots of bad, and there was a lot of mental arithmetic trying to extrapolate the difficulties of coaching & recruiting at Corvallis compared to Lincoln.

Everyone likes Riley's personality. He fits in really well here that way. We'll see how it goes after the first couple of losses.

• Fire 2

Nobody eats Taysom's lunch. That's a pipe dream

Nobody eats Taysom's lunch. That's a pipe dream
Makes sense with that patty cake schedule you guys played last year. Tell Nevada, UCF, and Utah state hello.

/Welcome to the board. A little trash talk makes the games come faster!

I'm glad that a fellow Aggie has jumped in, my first memory of the Huskers is them playing Utah state the week that we moved to Lincoln from Logan. With what I have read to be a struggling o-line and not much of a running back that does not bode well for a QB (even a good one) who is injury prone and in what I hope will be a tough road game. I assume BYU will be careful to try and keep him healthy.

I am really looking forward to the game I'm sure it will be a blast.

I'm a Husker fan from and living in Utah. I get my fair share of BYU info as they and Utah are the only thing that is on sports radio (sometimes Utah St.). However. being realistic, Taysom Hill is legit, the dude is a flat out baller and can run and pass (his running is what scares me). I'm actually pretty nervous about this first game for Nebraska, new coach, new system on both offense and defense. BYU has experience advantage, and their system will be more familiar to their players than Nebraska's. Luckily Riley has coached against BYU enough to know their tendencies so I think that bodes well for us. What I do know is I can't wait to make the road trip out there for my very first Husker game after being a life long fan. Go Big Red!!!

• Fire 2

I'm glad that a fellow Aggie has jumped in, my first memory of the Huskers is them playing Utah state the week that we moved to Lincoln from Logan. With what I have read to be a struggling o-line and not much of a running back that does not bode well for a QB (even a good one) who is injury prone and in what I hope will be a tough road game. I assume BYU will be careful to try and keep him healthy.

The biggest concern with Taysom is injuries. His style of play makes it hard to stay healthy the whole season. If he goes down we may be in trouble. Hopefully they keep his running somewhat under control.

Please do. Ask Texas how tough it is to contain him. He'll run around a linebacker and through a DB.

Yeah it's good to compare Nebraska to a 6 wins, 7 losses Texas from last year. Seems legit. I'd like to see him run through this DB:

NLqBOvZ.jpg

That's a high school picture of our starting Safety. He's in his 2nd year in the program and ran a 10.3 100 Meter Dash in high school. I'm pretty sure he won't run through him.

Is he the one on the left or right? I've never seen him without his helmet on.

• Fire 1

The biggest concern with Taysom is injuries. His style of play makes it hard to stay healthy the whole season. If he goes down we may be in trouble. Hopefully they keep his running somewhat under control.
Forget the coach speak, forget the hopeful speculation.

How healthy is he legitimately going to be?