BYU wants to be in a power 5 conference.

The Big 12 needs to expand back to at least 12 to live.

I see no reason the two sides can't make it work. The Mountain West was a nice fit until it lost TCU and Utah. I would much rather see them in the Pac 12 but yeah, religous diferences and what not.

I'm thinking Nebraska and here is why. BYU suspensions, talent gap and home field advantage. I think their #1 RB will be out as well with injury.

I also have issue with the fact that BYU is a mid major program, and they stunk it up last year with five losses to other mid-major schools, while only beating three P5 schools. To get out of mid major status, they need to join a conference. Play 9 P5 schools plus an additional one or two in the non-con. Even an independent schedule like that will get BYU out of "mid major" classification.

"I'm thinking Nebraska and here is why. BYU suspensions, talent gap and home field advantage. I think their #1 RB will be out as well with injury."

I agree with you about the game, but there isn't a talent gap at lots of positions. BYU's 8th linebacker is a good player. All the WR on the roster are good players, and our 2nd string QB is a potential All American in a couple of years. When you say talent gap it sounds like you think BYU is a Sunbelt team with a couple nice players.

It sounds that way because that's the way you wanted it to sound. All he said was "talent gap" and you read everything else into it.

Fact is, BYU's average recruiting rank the past 4 years on rivals is 67.75. That's a talent gap, even if the ratings aren't perfect. But it doesn't mean Nebraska's going to win.

I would agree that BYU's talent is down from what it has been in the past, doesn't mean they don't have some talent though. The maturity level due to mission work is also a factor in making their team stronger. I see BYU trying to reduce their lack of elite athletes with size. Having receivers that big is to try and make up for a lack of speed/jumping ability. I am sure they are great receivers that catch the ball well, but no one is going to accuse them of being speed demons.

You have to be realistic BYU recruits in a pretty narrow window, they don't get a ton of non Mormon players because there isn't that many kids that are elite that want to live under the code of conduct that they are expected to live under. So that limits the pool that they are drawing from.

BYU wants to be in a power 5 conference.

The Big 12 needs to expand back to at least 12 to live.

I see no reason the two sides can't make it work. The Mountain West was a nice fit until it lost TCU and Utah. I would much rather see them in the Pac 12 but yeah, religous diferences and what not.

The Mountain West would have been a really strong conference if it still had BYU, TCU, Utah, and Boise St. Throw in Fresno St, Nevada SDSU, CSU and Wyoming and you have a really nice football conference.

I'm thinking Nebraska and here is why. BYU suspensions, talent gap and home field advantage. I think their #1 RB will be out as well with injury.

I also have issue with the fact that BYU is a mid major program, and they stunk it up last year with five losses to other mid-major schools, while only beating three P5 schools. To get out of mid major status, they need to join a conference. Play 9 P5 schools plus an additional one or two in the non-con. Even an independent schedule like that will get BYU out of "mid major" classification.

"I'm thinking Nebraska and here is why. BYU suspensions, talent gap and home field advantage. I think their #1 RB will be out as well with injury."

I agree with you about the game, but there isn't a talent gap at lots of positions. BYU's 8th linebacker is a good player. All the WR on the roster are good players, and our 2nd string QB is a potential All American in a couple of years. When you say talent gap it sounds like you think BYU is a Sunbelt team with a couple nice players.

It sounds that way because that's the way you wanted it to sound. All he said was "talent gap" and you read everything else into it.

Fact is, BYU's average recruiting rank the past 4 years on rivals is 67.75. That's a talent gap, even if the ratings aren't perfect. But it doesn't mean Nebraska's going to win.

I would agree that BYU's talent is down from what it has been in the past, doesn't mean they don't have some talent though. The maturity level due to mission work is also a factor in making their team stronger. I see BYU trying to reduce their lack of elite athletes with size. Having receivers that big is to try and make up for a lack of speed/jumping ability. I am sure they are great receivers that catch the ball well, but no one is going to accuse them of being speed demons.

You have to be realistic BYU recruits in a pretty narrow window, they don't get a ton of non Mormon players because there isn't that many kids that are elite that want to live under the code of conduct that they are expected to live under. So that limits the pool that they are drawing from.

Yeah, but what you forget is that their 8th LB could start at NU. Their WR's are 8 ft tall + run 4.40s, AND they have a 2nd string QB that's an all American in waiting.

I'm all about smack talk but the majority of the visitors to our board seem to have lost all semblance of perspective. Its growing old.

Lets tone down the hyperbole.

• Fire 1

Who in the heck is referring to BYU as a mid major? I've seen that mentioned quite a few times in this thread. I sure as heck don't view them as a mid major. Those guys can play football and they won't be intimidated by anybody. We can't just show up to win this one. (well, that actually hasn't been a thing for awhile but just sayin). However, I do expect a Husker victory by about 2-3 touchdowns. That's not a lack of respect, that is just maybe a little too much preseason Kool-Aid on my part.

Who in the heck is referring to BYU as a mid major? I've seen that mentioned quite a few times in this thread. I sure as heck don't view them as a mid major. Those guys can play football and they won't be intimidated by anybody. We can't just show up to win this one. (well, that actually hasn't been a thing for awhile but just sayin). However, I do expect a Husker victory by about 2-3 touchdowns. That's not a lack of respect, that is just maybe a little too much preseason Kool-Aid on my part.

JJ I completely agree with what you are saying.I would never expect BYU to be intimidated by anyone and any team that takes them lightly will get burned. I do think NU gets it done though. It being the first game I expect NU to be ready to go and play a good game. I think TA has a good game and won't be surprised to see him approach or even top the 300 yard mark in passing. If they stay + in the turnovers I just don't see Nebraska losing. Hill will have his moments, but make sure he is the only one that does. I see at least a 10 pt victory, more like 35-17

Haha. "Let them eat cake."

The Pac X won't let BYU in because they don't want a Mormon school in the conference. It's referred to as "cultural differences". BYU's geography and refusal to play Sunday games are probably deal breakers for the Big 12. BYU would love to join a P5 conference.

BYU is playing the best games they can get right now. They can't just make a few calls and fill the whole schedule with H:H's with anyone they want all season long. The schedule shows the challenges BYU faces, getting late season games, and getting home games. They are playing the best schedule they can find and still get 6 home games.

Away games in 2015: Nebraska, UCLA, Michigan, Missouri ("Neutral"), San Jose State, and Utah State.

Home games in 2015: Boise State, Connecticut, East Carolina, Cincinnati, Wagner (part of the deal to play Missouri), and Fresno.

The program has been down for a few years, but still wins plenty of games in down years. I think you would have a hard time saying BYU's facilities and on the field performance are not at least on par with a middle of the pack P5 school.

There is a talent gap. Nebraska has been consistently recruiting above BYU for quite some time.

2011:  Nebraska 16th ranked class, BYU 68th  (9 Four Star players in Huskers class...0 in BYU's) 
2012:  Nebraska 30th ranked class, BYU 72nd (8 Four Star players in Husker class....2 in BYU's)
2013:  Nebraska 22nd ranked class, BYU 64th (7 Four Star players in Husker class....1 in BYU's)
2014:  Nebraska 36th ranked class, BYU 66th (2 Four Star players in Husker class...1 in BYU's)
2015:  Nebraska 29th ranked class, BYU 64th (4 Four Star players in Husker class...0 in BYU's)
I used 247's composite team rankings.

So over the course of the past 5 years (should cover most players still on rosters of both) Nebraska has had 30 four star players enter into its program and BYU has seen 4. Let that sink in for a minute. That's a considerable gap. In order to show talent on the field, you have to recruit talent. Coaching up only goes so far. Maybe you're not convinced...let's go with 3 star players...

2011:  NU: 11 Three Stars, BYU: 10 Three Stars
2012:  NU: 9 Three Stars, BYU: 6 Three Stars
2013:  NU: 16 Three Stars, BYU: 15 Three Stars
2014:  NU: 22 Three Stars, BYU: 12 Three Stars
2015:  NU: 16 Three Stars, BYU: 15 Three Stars
Once again used 247's composite team rankings. Over 5 years, Nebraska has had 74 three star recruits, BYU has had 58.

So, where does that leave us? It leaves us with BYU getting most of recruits from the unranked and 2 star area. Nebraska gets its chunk from the 3 and 4 star area. That translates to a talent gap on the field. That is not to say that there are not talented players on BYU's team...there are. But overall depth will NOT be as talented as what Nebraska can field. Whether any BYU fan wants to admit it or not...there is a talent gap. Just like there is a talent gap between Nebraska and other Big Ten members who have recruited better over the past 5 years (read: Ohio State).

There is the Hoke-affect of course. This is a very odd phenomena that takes top 10 recruiting classes and can't get them to play together. Weeping, gnashing of teeth and lots of egg laying ensues. See Michigan the past few years for an example of this. Nebraska had a coach like that once named Callahan.

Anyway, all the rambling aside...I see a pretty big talent gap between my beloved Huskers and BYU...that doesn't guarantee victory (see Northwestern...they beat teams they shouldn't with their talent all the time) but it's a pretty good indication of overall talent level and the gap between the two teams.

The talent gap is going to manifest itself primarily in depth. That's why you see BYU losing a bunch of games last season after injuries mounted up.

The problem for Nebraska is that the depth isn't going to be a huge factor in the first game unless there's a bunch of suspensions from the bowl brawl last year.

For instance, our center was a freshman all american last year. But if he goes down (or is suspended) there's not much behind him. Same for the defensive backfield and probably d-line.

Yeah, but what you forget is that their 8th LB could start at NU. Their WR's are 8 ft tall + run 4.40s, AND they have a 2nd string QB that's an all American in waiting.

I'm all about smack talk but the majority of the visitors to our board seem to have lost all semblance of perspective. Its growing old.

Okay, Sport.

Just so you know, that QB, who was away from the program on a mission for a couple of years, was co-MVP of the national Elite 11 camp with Jameis Winston a few years ago. And he's showing very well in fall camp. He was a big recruit, and I'm not sure high hopes for him are rhat out of line.

Outside of Hill there isn't one other player on BYU that should scare us. Stop the run and you'll win the game.

Yes, yes, absolutely. Move along, nothing to see here.

Oh, please, please, please focus the game plan on stopping the run. That would make me very happy.

I wouldn't call this trash talk but at least we finally have a BYU fan with at least a small amount of attitude.

+1.

I like it.

We need a little more smack talk around here.

What if they win though? I say we ban them immediately if they come back to gloat, amirite?

Ask the Longhorns fans. All my smack comes before the game. I let the game speak for itself.

We don't even know what smack talk is. All we know how to say is, "Hope you have a great time in Lincoln! Good luck!" and "Are you having a good time? Good luck!"

Yeah, you guys are nothing like the Longhorn degenerates. For instance I have not yet had occasion to reveal any sexual congress I may or may not have had with any of your mothers.

• Fire 1

Okay, Sport.

Just so you know, that QB, who was away from the program on a mission for a couple of years, was co-MVP of the national Elite 11 camp with Jameis Winston a few years ago. And he's showing very well in fall camp. He was a big recruit, and I'm not sure high hopes for him are rhat out of line.

Look up Johnny Stanton, Elite 11. Then look up what school he attends.

That's right, we ditched an Elite 11 finalist because he wasn't good enough.

• Fire 2

Okay, Sport.

Right, but he's an unproven commodity and football is intrinsically a team sport. Ever seen a good qb with an awful line? It doesn't usually end well for the qb. We had an elite 11 guy too. He was leading up til the last day of camp which he skipped. He transfered this year because he couldn't crack the top 5 on the depth chart.

Don't get me wrong. Blue chip recruit, but just a recruit. I realize you don't get a lot of guys with hype over there, but we get more than enough to know not to buy into the hype, sport.

• Fire 1

Took the words out of my mouth.

So when a player goes on a mission, does he focus on God or football for two years? I really think the missionary issue does not do any favors for the football program. I totally respect that they have the conviction to do that, and actually think it's pretty awesome. But it doesn't do anything for and probably is a disadvantage for the program.