Linebackers - Who Steps Up?

Michael Rose-Ivy is supposed to save us @ LB, right? If not, we're in trouble--again.

Banderas. Banderas is going to explode onto the Big Ten scene this year. You heard it here first.

I think he's kinda soft, slowish, and prone to being out of position. Maybe I'm wrong.

Nah. You could very well be right. But one thing youre wrong about is the slowish part. Bando is not slow. But that's also part of the out of position part. And we all know about the simpler faster defense that's gonna be played. So compared to what we've been doing, and what Bando's been having to learn, what would you say his new probability of being out of position is going to be? This also fall in the soft category. Tentativeness. And it goes all across our linebacking core. Tentativeness. Too much thinking. And a requirement of having to be far too technically sound in fits and gap control becuase of a heavy dline technique and the non desire to drop a safety down against the run. These guys, esp Bando, have been under a lot of stress. I expect to see a faster, free-er style of football. And that's why I happen to think Bando is going to blossom under these new coaches.

Michael Rose-Ivy is supposed to save us @ LB, right? If not, we're in trouble--again.

Banderas. Banderas is going to explode onto the Big Ten scene this year. You heard it here first.

I think he's kinda soft, slowish, and prone to being out of position. Maybe I'm wrong.

Nah. You could very well be right. But one thing youre wrong about is the slowish part. Bando is not slow. But that's also part of the out of position part. And we all know about the simpler faster defense that's gonna be played. So compared to what we've been doing, and what Bando's been having to learn, what would you say his new probability of being out of position is going to be? This also fall in the soft category. Tentativeness. And it goes all across our linebacking core. Tentativeness. Too much thinking. And a requirement of having to be far too technically sound in fits and gap control becuase of a heavy dline technique and the non desire to drop a safety down against the run. These guys, esp Bando, have been under a lot of stress. I expect to see a faster, free-er style of football. And that's why I happen to think Bando is going to blossom under these new coaches.

Hope you're right.

I think we pulled one helluva LB class in Rileys 1st year

Remember when everyone laughed when they said they were gonna go get like 7? Then they got like 6? That was pretty cool.

I love Young and Barry they are more true 4-3 LBs. Not sure where Reed, Talan, and Ferguson will fit in. I think Talan is more of a hybrid LB/S against quick personnels and Ferguson could be a guy that eventually moves to DE. Cant get read on Reed but he will probably fit into the LB position somewhere.

Young will play this year. Heck, he would be in the conversation in our RB rotation if he was on the offensive side of the ball. He is that type of athlete. Something we havent had much of around here since Lavonte.

Thinking this is our starting WILL by the end of the year (if not the start of the year).

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/583425812893868033

My first thought when I read this last night was why are we running Gladney on the jet sweep. Seems like a play for DPR or Irons or Reilly.
Maybe because the 2nd and 3rd teamers have the same playbook?

Only the first teamers should be getting reps!!!

• 2 months later...