Spring Quarterback Competition

I don't think Bush will end up as the starter, but it would be nice if we had someone who could at least push Tommy and be a legitimate backup option.

would be nice to have a real backup when Tommy has one of those days when he goes 4-11 and throws 2 picks in the first half.

You still dont pull your starter just cuz he's having a "bad day". That'd be the best way to fry a guy's confidence and really dick with his mindset.

• Fire 1

I don't think Bush will end up as the starter, but it would be nice if we had someone who could at least push Tommy and be a legitimate backup option.

would be nice to have a real backup when Tommy has one of those days when he goes 4-11 and throws 2 picks in the first half.

You still dont pull your starter just cuz he's having a "bad day". That'd be the best way to fry a guy's confidence and really dick with his mindset.

if the next guy up has some ability, you want to keep your starter in when he is playing like sh#t? nothing like a wakeup call for your starter.......

• Fire 2

if the next guy up has some ability, you want to keep your starter in when he is playing like sh#t? nothing like a wakeup call for your starter.......

I guess it depends on the situation. If QBA is on a downward trend over the course of a few weeks, and QBB has improved and "closed the gap", then sure, it'd be a lot easier to make that move. So i guess I'll concede that it's not really a cut-n-dried scenario either way. Cuz you also have to watch out for the confidence of said backup. You dont wanna put him in a tough, no win situation and set him up to fail as well (see Cody Green 2009).

Now if Tommy's been playing well for weeks prior, completing 65% oor so, not throwin picks, and the team's winning games, a kneejerk reaction to the tune of benching him for one bad half, regardless of how close said backup is, is the worse thing you could do. Esp since youve been riding a 3 years starter and the backup is completely unproven.

Lots of give and take in this situation. So I'll admit myself that I was wrong to in insinuating it's a simple situation.

I disagree. There should be a level of understanding that he is "the guy", but your position should not be safe. This leads to complacency. Besides, I want a guy who can take the heat and get better because of it. It shouldn't sway your confidence, it should piss him off and make him go out that next week in practice with an edge and mission to widen the gap.

It'll be Tommy, just get that in your noggins

As long as Tommy can progress and improve upon last year, then great. If we get the same Tommy from last year, then we're in real trouble.

yeah, he will need to improve his pocket play......but Riley likes his wheels......so right now he seems to have the advantage, along with playing time.

I have to admit, I've kind of checked out for quite some time. Did I miss something? No where in this thread do I see any relevant mention of Johnny Stanton...it's all TA, then Bush/Fyfe/Darlington.??

It's because the most reps in practice this past week were given to Bush and Armstrong. Stanton was said to be struggling a bit along with Fyfe and Darlington.

Guess I missed this. Who was saying those guys were struggling?
  • Fire 1

Wonder what Riley would have done with this fellow...

Moved him to receiver or rb where he belonged all along

It would be a pretty dumbass coaching move to take the best quarterback in his conference, as voted on by the coaches that coach in the conference, and move him out of the quarterback position.

• Fire 1