Wide Receivers - Lots of Options

The nature of the college game is seeing kids finish their 4 or 5 years and teaching new young men take their place. Certainly we only have 2 proven guys but many with the potential. DPE was totally unproven a year ago and he turned out ok. Again that isn't a guarantee any or all the newcomers will be all world. I trust our coaches will get them to the right place where they can contribute this year.

I would think Burtch would be a natural choice as he's a bigger guy with speed that would compliment Westerkamp's possession role and DPEs speed. Reilly would be similar. And Tolbert should be a red zone monster after some development. Moore seems to have the tools but I'm not sure if he's going to be able to put it all together.

If we are hoping that that the likes of Burtch or Reilly as LEGIT #2 Wr's we are not that strong at WR. I keep hearing every one say we are so deep at WR but I refuse to see it. Other then Weterkamp and DPE wh have not 1 proven solid guy in my opinion.

I'm not sure why you would say that. Both - especially Burtch - played extensively two years ago. Reilly is one of the fastest guys on the team. Burtch is our second-tallest receiver and is also fast. And both catch the ball very well. Not sure what else is needed out of WRs.

I really think Bell will be hard to replace. My eyes are on Turner and how, or if he comes back from his injuies. He was a bright, promising prospect at one point in time, but it seems so were many, many other WRs (Curenski stands out; there were others before, and after, such as Khiry).

With Burtch and Reilly we are talking about something like 20 career receptions between the two of them? Moore's another name you could throw into that mix. DPE is proven as a returner. As a receiver he came on late, and they have big plans for him, but he has to make a big 2nd year leap.

So, yeah, outside of Westerkamp I don't think we have proven carry the load guys. Even Westerkamp -- very solid and productive, but not a outside speed threat like Bell, or a red zone threat like Purify. Without those, the whole offense suffers. I'm very much not sold on the WRs this year.

If they do live up to the billing, it will take guys like Irons & Tolbert & DPE to break out. Heck, all the veterans, too: Allen, Burtch, Reilly, Moore, Turner. All of this is a projection. I don't agree that they are extremely deep, nor that they are more than solid at the top. Just a lot of bodies whose careers are open ended in where they fall on the spectrum: (Curenski? Meno Holt? Niles Paul? Enunwa/Bell? Etc).

I really think Bell will be hard to replace. My eyes are on Turner and how, or if he comes back from his injuies. He was a bright, promising prospect at one point in time, but it seems so were many, many other WRs (Curenski stands out; there were others before, and after, such as Khiry).

With Burtch and Reilly we are talking about something like 20 career receptions between the two of them? Moore's another name you could throw into that mix. DPE is proven as a returner. As a receiver he came on late, and they have big plans for him, but he has to make a big 2nd year leap.

So, yeah, outside of Westerkamp I don't think we have proven carry the load guys. Even Westerkamp -- very solid and productive, but not a outside speed threat like Bell, or a red zone threat like Purify. Without those, the whole offense suffers. I'm very much not sold on the WRs this year.

If they do live up to the billing, it will take guys like Irons & Tolbert & DPE to break out. Heck, all the veterans, too: Allen, Burtch, Reilly, Moore, Turner. All of this is a projection. I don't agree that they are extremely deep, nor that they are more than solid at the top. Just a lot of bodies whose careers are open ended in where they fall on the spectrum: (Curenski? Meno Holt? Niles Paul? Enunwa/Bell? Etc).

I completely agree with this, I think that the best way to look at our WR core is potential.

The position was recruited well, there's tons of high ceilings. The question is "if"

if Turner returns healthy

if Irons can catch the ball as well as run fast

if Tolbert can be consistent

If Moore can manage to not get hurt.

The ceiling is high, the bigger question is if we can get close to that ceiling.

Obviously Burtch and Reilly don't have a lot of catches. Burtch missed all last year and Reilly battled injuries all year. But Burtch was on the field a lot two years ago. Even with Enunwa, Bell, Westerkamp and Turner to compete with, he earned his way on the field regularly. Just didn't get a lot of throws his way. And Reilly was on the same level by the end of the year. So they've played more than their stats indicate.

I completely agree with this, I think that the best way to look at our WR core is potential.

The position was recruited well, there's tons of high ceilings. The question is "if"

The ceiling is high, the bigger question is if we can get close to that ceiling.

it's all about development and depth......we need to do both....wayyyyyy to early to count chickens here.

Another if to add to this is what "if" we had Monte Harrison to add to this already great group of receivers.

Another if to add to this is what "if" we had Monte Harrison to add to this already great group of receivers.
And Stringfellow.

Pretty sweet having Westerkamp and DPE already in place, and Jamal Turner out there with nothing to lose.

Lots of other bodies. Lots of competition.

Hard to believe at least two of them won't break from the pack in a big way. I just won't predict which two.

sounds like Turner is still limping?......sad, feel bad for the kid, he has been hurt his whole time here.

Using words like potential and unproven to describe our Wr group is easy to throw around. What differentiates saying that about our WRs compared to most other teams in our situation is the drastic shift in offensive philosophy. If we throw the ball exactly 20 more times a game this year and with no significant improvement by TA in his comp %, it equates to roughly 130-150 more catches to go around. Spread those around just because of a different offense without any improvement from Tommy. Now imagine if he gets his comp % up by 8-12 pts. Could equate to 200 more catches this year. Someone has to catch them. The difference makers at the position make the tough catches for his qb. That's what we are hoping for from our young inexperienced unproven corp.

• Fire 1