RB Aphonso Thomas [SMU - Signed LOI]

It shouldn't be -- they still have to accept the commitment. There were a couple examples under Bo of players who tried to commit, only to find out they couldn't (oops). It's a weird system, but the constraints are practical. Every school puts out more offers than they could take on at any given moment, and it should be understood.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Who were they?

Gosh, I don't know how I'd dig up the name now -- I can't remember which cycle. I want to say there was a linebacker from out west (not Bodtmann). He announced his commitment but then had to walk it back, and didn't end up coming here. I remember at the time thinking that wasn't the only one.

It's not Bo's fault or anything, every once in a while you just get a guy who doesn't really understand the situation and jumps the gun.

I couldn't even find this guy on Rivals official site, but jeez, I sure do hope we can pull him away from KU, TX St, or CSU eyeswear2allthatsholy . This could be Riley's 2nd 2* RB to date, if he signs that is. Ok, well, I guess Ozigbo got the NU bump to 3* since he signed, but he was 2* before that with a plethora of offers from 2nd tier schools. Both RBs come in at a 'blazing' 4.7-ish in the 40, woohooo!

We're kinda used to high 3* or 4*(Castille, Helu, Burkhead, Ameer, T Newby, A Taylor, M Wilbon) or the occasional 5*(Aaron Green) 'round here @ 'RB U', Riley knows that, right?

Is it just me, or is Riley taking his reputation as a developer of 'project players' a bit too seriously?

2 star only means that he has not been evaluated. More often, these kids get recruited by a bigger school and get bumped to a 3. I think Callahan & Bo recruited based on the stars, where Riley looks for talent that will fit his system. Moreover, Riley needs to prove he can win before these higher star players commit. Most of these kids were not even born when the Huskers were really good.

Wow! Someone should have told Bo that 5 stars were the "best" prospects. If Bo were recruiting by stars, why was everyone complaining about star rating every year, particularly when we were recruiting the under-the-radar talent Bo constantly found?

Those that were complaining about Bo's recruiting were complaining about the relative lack of star power--i.e., top heavy in 3* recruits--and a fair amount of under the radar recruits, so I'm not sure what your point is here. That's not to say that Bo didn't have numerous offers out to more 'elite' recruits, just didn't land many of them. Riley, so far, seems to be exemplifying the same pattern.
This is exactly my point, embedded in all the sarcasm. SouthLincoln Husker said Bo recruited by stars. If that was true, why were we getting under-the-radar talent?

I'm apparently looking at different film then a number of you. The kids looks quick, strong and elusive. He out runs almost everybody (so, there's no question he is fast), he is very good at evading people (at least on the HS level), and he's strong (when there is contact, he goes forward most of the time, and lots of times slips out of tackles).

Yes, I was concerned with the lack of offers and stated 40 time, but look at the film. It speaks for itself. I strongly suspect a lot more offers come in if he continues to do what he does in his sr year and gets more notice, and then people will start wondering if we can hold on to him.

• Fire 1

One other thing, he's from Van, Texas, and as such, he doesn't get the kind of exposure or fame he would if he was in Houston, Dallas or San Antonio. That likely has a lot to do with his lack of offers and the recruiting services not evaluating him.

(Yes, I know it's close to Dallas, but I doubt people there pays a lot of attention to east Texas football -- they have there own players to focus on).

• Fire 1

It shouldn't be -- they still have to accept the commitment. There were a couple examples under Bo of players who tried to commit, only to find out they couldn't (oops). It's a weird system, but the constraints are practical. Every school puts out more offers than they could take on at any given moment, and it should be understood.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Who were they?
Gosh, I don't know how I'd dig up the name now -- I can't remember which cycle. I want to say there was a linebacker from out west (not Bodtmann). He announced his commitment but then had to walk it back, and didn't end up coming here. I remember at the time thinking that wasn't the only one.It's not Bo's fault or anything, every once in a while you just get a guy who doesn't really understand the situation and jumps the gun.

Isn't this situation what happened with Dylan Admire? He was an OL from Kansas about five years ago.

40 is overrated. I've seen teammates race with and without pads, the results were different. I think a 10 yard burst and vision/feel is a more important evaluation.

40s are only 'overrated' if your players/recruits have bad 40 times. And the converse is true.

Take a peak at the Dan Alexander clip in the greatest runs thread under Husker Football. That's how overrated straight line speed is without pads. Also, the context of my quote was in response to some questioning his speed, 4.71 obviously isn't elite, but speed isn't what makes a running back elite.

Thomas is the seventh known member of the Huskers’ 2016 recruiting class, and the first running back. Coach Mike Riley and the new NU staff in February signed Devine Ozigbo, a 5-11, 225-pounder who operated within a spread-style system at Sachse (Texas) High School.

Taking snaps out of a shotgun formation won’t require an adjustment for Thomas, either.
The Huskers haven’t played a game with this new coaching staff, so their offensive system has yet to be unveiled completely. But based on conversations with Nebraska running backs coach Reggie Davis — his lead recruiter — Thomas expects there to be plenty of inside and outside zone calls for NU’s I-backs.

OWH

According to that article, he split carries last year and didn't camp a lot which is probably some of the reason why he hasn't been rated by most of the services yet.

Also, Van is a smaller school (by Texas standards). It would be Class B in Nebraska. Might be tough to gauge the level of competition he's going against which also would make him tougher to evaluate.

40 is overrated. I've seen teammates race with and without pads, the results were different. I think a 10 yard burst and vision/feel is a more important evaluation.

40s are only 'overrated' if your players/recruits have bad 40 times. And the converse is true.

How often as a football player do you run 40 yards unimpeded?

Edit- Unless you're Melvin Gordon playing against Nebraska's defense.

Ouch
  • Fire 1

How often as a football player do you run 40 yards unimpeded?

Edit- Unless you're Melvin Gordon playing against Nebraska's defense.

Ouch

Well, there's this thing called breakaway speed, you know, so they don't chase you down once you get into the clear. Ask Melvin Gordon. It's also better to have speed to hit creases so you can get into the clear. It's also good to have speed for a burst to the hole. So, in short, in good to have speed. It's also generally considered not as good to be slow. 4.7 is slow for an RB, maybe they need a better stopwatch.

Heck that LB out of GA we just got has a 4.48. It's generally not as good--about 100% of the time--if your RBs are slower than their LBs(or DBs). One assumes your RBs will be faster than their DL, or one would hope.

"Speed kills", maybe y'all have heard that expression.