RB Aphonso Thomas [SMU - Signed LOI]

Watching his film...He runs a lot like AA. He will stretch a play out until he sees a crease and hits it hard. He is shifty but still doesn't shy away from contact. He runs tough between the tackles also and doesn't always try to bounce it outside. He kind of reminds me of a throwback player. Does his job and it's really flashy at it but is successful. I like this commit.

With most all high school players there is a period of adjustment to the college game. They need to get bigger, stronger and faster. The knowledge to understand that what worked in high school probably won't work in college because of the speed of the defense. He will redshirt, do scout team and all those things will sink in with better coaching. Come in AT and get the process started and see where it takes you. GBR

Welcome AT!

I like what I saw on his film (which was mostly take the hand-off and run right). What I didn't see was him switch the ball to his left hand, catch the ball, or block a linebacker. I have to trust that HCMR and Coach Davis have done their homework. I will say this, the young man certainly has the size for a pro style offense.

Hope this isn't the beginning of the negative side effects of "offer anyone under the sun" technique

It shouldn't be -- they still have to accept the commitment. There were a couple examples under Bo of players who tried to commit, only to find out they couldn't (oops). It's a weird system, but the constraints are practical. Every school puts out more offers than they could take on at any given moment, and it should be understood.

So, this is the guy the staff wanted.

As for film, I really don't know one highlight film from another, so I can only go off what other people are saying. I think we tend to be affected by the stars and offers that show up next to his name, while watching the film. He could well blow up and have a ton of offers by next January, but not necessarily. *That* might be a Riley trend -- offering a lot of players ahead of the curve so we as fans don't have a lot of hype to read about them, and little way of knowing how good we should feel. Hopefully the coaches have good judgment.

I couldn't even find this guy on Rivals official site, but jeez, I sure do hope we can pull him away from KU, TX St, or CSU eyeswear2allthatsholy . This could be Riley's 2nd 2* RB to date, if he signs that is. Ok, well, I guess Ozigbo got the NU bump to 3* since he signed, but he was 2* before that with a plethora of offers from 2nd tier schools. Both RBs come in at a 'blazing' 4.7-ish in the 40, woohooo!

We're kinda used to high 3* or 4*(Castille, Helu, Burkhead, Ameer, T Newby, A Taylor, M Wilbon) or the occasional 5*(Aaron Green) 'round here @ 'RB U', Riley knows that, right?

Is it just me, or is Riley taking his reputation as a developer of 'project players' a bit too seriously?

2 star only means that he has not been evaluated. More often, these kids get recruited by a bigger school and get bumped to a 3. I think Callahan & Bo recruited based on the stars, where Riley looks for talent that will fit his system. Moreover, Riley needs to prove he can win before these higher star players commit. Most of these kids were not even born when the Huskers were really good.

Wow! Someone should have told Bo that 5 stars were the "best" prospects. If Bo were recruiting by stars, why was everyone complaining about star rating every year, particularly when we were recruiting the under-the-radar talent Bo constantly found?

Those that were complaining about Bo's recruiting were complaining about the relative lack of star power--i.e., top heavy in 3* recruits--and a fair amount of under the radar recruits, so I'm not sure what your point is here. That's not to say that Bo didn't have numerous offers out to more 'elite' recruits, just didn't land many of them. Riley, so far, seems to be exemplifying the same pattern.

I couldn't even find this guy on Rivals official site, but jeez, I sure do hope we can pull him away from KU, TX St, or CSU eyeswear2allthatsholy . This could be Riley's 2nd 2* RB to date, if he signs that is. Ok, well, I guess Ozigbo got the NU bump to 3* since he signed, but he was 2* before that with a plethora of offers from 2nd tier schools. Both RBs come in at a 'blazing' 4.7-ish in the 40, woohooo!

We're kinda used to high 3* or 4*(Castille, Helu, Burkhead, Ameer, T Newby, A Taylor, M Wilbon) or the occasional 5*(Aaron Green) 'round here @ 'RB U', Riley knows that, right?

Is it just me, or is Riley taking his reputation as a developer of 'project players' a bit too seriously?

2 star only means that he has not been evaluated. More often, these kids get recruited by a bigger school and get bumped to a 3. I think Callahan & Bo recruited based on the stars, where Riley looks for talent that will fit his system. Moreover, Riley needs to prove he can win before these higher star players commit. Most of these kids were not even born when the Huskers were really good.

Wow! Someone should have told Bo that 5 stars were the "best" prospects. If Bo were recruiting by stars, why was everyone complaining about star rating every year, particularly when we were recruiting the under-the-radar talent Bo constantly found?

Those that were complaining about Bo's recruiting were complaining about the relative lack of star power--i.e., top heavy in 3* recruits--and a fair amount of under the radar recruits, so I'm not sure what your point is here. That's not to say that Bo didn't have numerous offers out to more 'elite' recruits, just didn't land many of them. Riley, so far, seems to be exemplifying the same pattern.

wow, I screwed up the 'multiquote' thing, still don't get it.

It shouldn't be -- they still have to accept the commitment. There were a couple examples under Bo of players who tried to commit, only to find out they couldn't (oops). It's a weird system, but the constraints are practical. Every school puts out more offers than they could take on at any given moment, and it should be understood.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Who were they?

40 is overrated. I've seen teammates race with and without pads, the results were different. I think a 10 yard burst and vision/feel is a more important evaluation.

40s are only 'overrated' if your players/recruits have bad 40 times. And the converse is true.

How often as a football player do you run 40 yards unimpeded?

Edit- Unless you're Melvin Gordon playing against Nebraska's defense.

• Fire 2