B1G's most indispensable players: Nebraska

B1G's most indispensable players: Nebraska

by Mitch Sherman, ESPN Staff Writer

<snip>

The goal is to identify the players most difficult to replace if they suffered an injury or were lost to suspension. We’re picking two from each team who fit the bill -- typically one each on offense and defense.

QB Tommy Armstrong Jr.: ...

DT Maliek Collins: ...

LINK

I'd have to agree with Tommy as being the most indispensable player on offense. But I dunno about Maliek Collins. Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of Maliek. And I think he's our best DT along with Valentine. But I think we have other DTs who could fill in and do just fine. Kevin Williams, Kevin Maurice—sure their pursuit might not be as good as Maliek. But I think either of these guys could hold their own in the middle. Instead of Maliek I'd say Nate Gerry is our most indispensable player on D. By a long shot. /IMHO

TA wins the offense "indispensable" award by default. Not sure who else to choose.

On D, Collins is probably our best player, but I would go with one of Mullen/Bando/Rose as the most "indispensable". Our depth at DE and LB is scary, and missing 1 of those 3 would be bad.

Gerry on D as he is the standout in the back. Collins is great and will be in the NFL (like Gerry) but he also has VV next to him. Gerry is heads and shoulders above the others in the back. Loose him and receivers will run wild - plus he is very good on run support.

DPE may be the indispensable one on O with our new O. While TA may seem the most obvious, I think DPE will provide the explosiveness and multi-option player that will stretch out the D and make room for others to excel. We don't know who our starting RB will be, so DPE is our most dangerous threat - a threat that will keep the D honest - can't put 9 in the box.

I really can't think of any absolute indispensable players on our team, except for Nate Gerry and our defensive ends because of depth.

I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

I feel kinda the same, to be honest. Certainly, we have players we don't want to lose, and losing them could mean a pretty a big drop-off between them and their replacement, but I don't know if there's any player that's like 'Oh, we really, really can't lose them.'

Gerry on D as he is the standout in the back. Collins is great and will be in the NFL (like Gerry) but he also has VV next to him. Gerry is heads and shoulders above the others in the back. Loose him and receivers will run wild - plus he is very good on run support.

DPE may be the indispensable one on O with our new O. While TA may seem the most obvious, I think DPE will provide the explosiveness and multi-option player that will stretch out the D and make room for others to excel. We don't know who our starting RB will be, so DPE is our most dangerous threat - a threat that will keep the D honest - can't put 9 in the box.

On just offense, DPE will be an important piece but not the most indispensable - that still goes to TA who controls the offense/calls the signals, has to make plays both throwing and running the ball (DPE too against NW), make zone read decisions + his progressions, be the motivational leader of the offense, etc. If you include special teams too, though, I'd say you could make a strong case that DPE is right up there as the most indispensable player on the team with all he does on offense and returning.

Totally agree with what you said about Gerry.

Gerry would be my vote on the defensive side.

I only say that regarding the type of defense that they played in previously. He made plays and has a great ability to read the field as well as play the ball.

However, in this new D, I'd be very interested to see our LB play and how much strongly their play will be. Right now, pre-season, I'd say Gerry gets the nod. But by mid-season, I wouldn't be surprised to see an LB become indispensable in the way that David was due to the change in scheme.

Surprised there are so many votes for Gerry. I would think that we would be ok at S if Gerry went down. We would have Cockrell, Kieron, CJ, Kalu, and :fingerscrossed: Leroy (who have all played meaningful snaps). Conversely if McMullen went down, we would be left with Freedom, Dzrusis, Keels, Natter, and King. Also, if we were to lose Bando or Rose, then LB we would basically be counting on the freshmen.

I don't think TA is the most indispensable player on offense. One of the backups could perform nearly as well, and maybe slightly better. TA is not an all american or even all conference QB. He is a great runner, but makes questionable throws, and he cannot read.

I didn't think about until this thread, but will we have any preseason all- conference players on offense?

I don't think TA is the most indispensable player on offense. One of the backups could perform nearly as well, and maybe slightly better. TA is not an all american or even all conference QB. He is a great runner, but makes questionable throws, and he cannot read.

I didn't think about until this thread, but will we have any preseason all- conference players on offense?

I believe DPE is a pre-season All-American and All-Conference. Phil Steele has Westerkamp 2nd team and then a smattering of guys hitting 3rd and fourth team from the offense and defense. But, that's it.