Texas Cop, "Police Brutality", Black kids.

Here we go, another race war thing.

I guess this was pretty active on facebook/social media over the weekend. My thoughts on it were this. (From Facebook)

"Looks to me like a bunch of kids that were non compliant nor patient to let the cops do what they were called there to handle. Report of a disturbance and a fight breaks out before cops get there. There is a reason they wanted kids to sit down, and shut up. So the cops could get to the bottom of the issue.

Not everything is a freaking race war."

http://gawker.com/texas-cop-suspended-after-footage-emerges-of-brutal-poo-1709655045?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

On Saturday, video was uploaded to Youtube of police officers screaming at and arresting children at a community pool in Texas. One officer, confronted by two boys while grabbing a young girl by the neck and shoving her head towards the ground, pulls his gun and points it at them.

According to a police statement posted to Facebook, McKinney, Texas police responded on Friday evening to a “disturbance” call regarding a group of teenagers who “do not live in the area or have permission to be there.”

Is there going to be a national debate every time something like this happens? Because if there is, this country is in for a really rough ride. I can imagine us discussing this not every month, but every week, if not every day, to the point where the economy, foreign policy, terrorism and other major issues take a back seat. I would hate to see that happen.

LINK

I would like that "adult woman" to have her name plastered all over the news. What a total bitch.

Teenagers who were at the pool party told BuzzFeed News that the gathering was an end-of-school celebration. They said that they were able to gather at the pool using guest passes and that the incident began when adults at the pool told the black children to leave the area and return to “Section 8 [public] housing.”

Is there going to be a national debate every time something like this happens? Because if there is, this country is in for a really rough ride. I can imagine us discussing this not every month, but every week, if not every day, to the point where the economy, foreign policy, terrorism and other major issues take a back seat. I would hate to see that happen.

As long as it keeps happening, there should be a national debate about it. Notice that the kid shooting the video was completely ignored by the police officer. Why was he not being told to either leave, or get on the ground? He was white. The fact that you want to sweep institutionalized racism under the rug, I find very disturbing.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

I don't care how smart her mouth is, short of a physical threat, there is no need to take a teenage girl down like that after she obeys the command to walk away.

When people can't count on the police to be policed, and will be jailed if they act to protect friends, what are they supposed to do? Just take it?

There is already a thread for this, but regardless.

The video is extremely hard to watch. ZRod makes a good point - a decent handful of people (white people*) will retort with the idea that compliance with the police is always the wisest action, which makes sense, but that only ever works perfectly when police are perfect and is only a fair point when it comes down to you breaking the law if you are disobeying. Police make demands and orders all the time that do not legally have to be complied with. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the sentiment, and I even follow it myself (had a situation recently where I was pulled over and really tempted to just refuse to comply with the things the cop was asking me to do, which I legally had a right to not do, but thought better of it and came out better for it as well), but if you have minority friends you've probably learned that every minority parent teaches their kids as soon as they are old enough to understand that you can't give the police any kind of a reason, and to a lot of people it seems that even still too many officers are finding reasons to use force or to aggressively deal with a situation or whatever by going too far.

All of that aside, this guys' job is to deescalate situations like this, and he did the polar opposite in the most grand fashion and that's just a frustrating thing to deal with, both in and out of the context of any racial component.

• Fire 2

Additional info

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/06/08/go-back-to-your-section-8-home-texas-pool-party-host-describes-racially-charged-dispute-with-neighbor/

1) Legit pool party at community pool

2) DJ plays "loud music" and party gets boisterous?

3) Neighbors get annoyed, and instead of talking to an adult at the party, or who is in charge of the community pool, yells racial slurs (maybe in response to the teens mouthing off?)

4) Teens jump the fence to get to neighbor's pools (maybe the community pool is over crowded)

5) Fight breaks out (between a mother and daughter)

6) NOW the police are called into a charged atmosphere.

As long as it keeps happening, there should be a national debate about it. Notice that the kid shooting the video was completely ignored by the police officer. Why was he not being told to either leave, or get on the ground? He was white. The fact that you want to sweep institutionalized racism under the rug, I find very disturbing.

Yep, that's me all right. I love sweeping racism under the rug; can't get enough of it.

There is already a thread for this, but regardless.

The video is extremely hard to watch. ZRod makes a good point - a decent handful of people (white people*) will retort with the idea that compliance with the police is always the wisest action, which makes sense, but that only ever works perfectly when police are perfect and is only a fair point when it comes down to you breaking the law if you are disobeying. Police make demands and orders all the time that do not legally have to be complied with. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the sentiment, and I even follow it myself (had a situation recently where I was pulled over and really tempted to just refuse to comply with the things the cop was asking me to do, which I legally had a right to not do, but thought better of it and came out better for it as well), but if you have minority friends you've probably learned that every minority parent teaches their kids as soon as they are old enough to understand that you can't give the police any kind of a reason, and to a lot of people it seems that even still too many officers are finding reasons to use force or to aggressively deal with a situation or whatever by going too far.

All of that aside, this guys' job is to deescalate situations like this, and he did the polar opposite in the most grand fashion and that's just a frustrating thing to deal with, both in and out of the context of any racial component.

Boo freaking Hoo LOMS.

I didn't post in your thread and you take offense or what?

Get off your high horse.

Boo freaking Hoo LOMS.

Get off your high horse.

That doesn't really bother me, but I definitely take offense at your ignorant grandstanding trying to prove that situations like these, that keep happening over and over all over the place, don't have a racial component. That's tragic.

• Fire 1

Boo freaking Hoo LOMS.

Get off your high horse.

That doesn't really bother me, but I definitely take offense at your ignorant grandstanding trying to prove that situations like these, that keep happening over and over all over the place, don't have a racial component. That's tragic.

I don't think it had a racial component to it when it came to the officer. To me, he was doing his job and there happened to be a black kid involved. Go read the link the CD posted above. There was more to the story that wasn't being mentioned but don't let that cloud your view.

• Fire 2