***2018 Recruiting***

2 minutes ago, theknife said:

Interesting, I remembered he was lowly rated by scout and rivals as of 2012. I went back over to the thread and both links are dead, but I found this :

Hmm, not sure when the bump came but it did. He finished as a 93 4star on 247 and damn near a 4star on comp. I don't look at Rivals/scout individually, just a personal preference.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

You guys have to relax. With S&C and good coaching, anyone can become a contributor.

I'm relaxed, I just said I'm impressed with the class. 

But here comes the "how dare you question/worry a recruit we are after, he's under the radar and we'll turn him into something" crowd. 

I don't think some concerns to offering kids touting greyshirt offers from KU and IowaSt is unwarranted. I can agree with Knife's stance that most teams end up reaching once in awhile, I just hope it's kept to a minimum. 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I'm relaxed, I just said I'm impressed with the class. 

But here comes the "how dare you question/worry a recruit we are after, he's under the radar and we'll turn him into something" crowd. 

I don't think some concerns to offering kids touting greyshirt offers from KU and IowaSt is unwarranted. I can agree with Knife's stance that most teams end up reaching once in awhile, I just hope it's kept to a minimum. 

I'm not in that crowd, I'm just saying lets see if these guys can actually develop players. Because if they can, it matters a little less what their star rankings are.

14 hours ago, caveman99 said:

Ok, I misunderstood you then. Thought you meant sign Masry now, we are on the same page. Question is will Masry be willing to hold off if he is able to sign elsewhere, and that is a big if.

Agreed. Not sure if the juice will be worth the squeeze for signing Masry, but I'd think the Huskers would be willing to take a chance to help keep the in-state talent at home. 

1 hour ago, WVhuskerXX said:

I know I keep saying this, but I would prefer us to not reach for an OT and try to sign a JUCO in next year's cycle. With Held's connections that shouldn't be a problem. Especially if we have the full year to build the relationship. Last thing we need is another Dewayne Johnson type of reach that stays here for the duration and never sees the field. We were lucky he left after his fourth year. If not, we would have had a five year player with nothing to show for it.

It's called lack of development.   And different coaching staff. 

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

I'm not in that crowd, I'm just saying lets see if these guys can actually develop players. Because if they can, it matters a little less what their star rankings are.

Oh come on Matty, you're the leader of the mob! Joking. 

That's fair, but there are better prospects  (imo) I'd prefer they were developing. How late in the game these offers are going out, and seeing the other OT's we've devoted initial time to in the last 30 days, I think it's safe to say they are a good ways down the pecking order or prospects for the coaches too. 

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Oh come on Matty, you're the leader of the mob! Joking. 

That's fair, but there are better prospects  (imo) I'd prefer they were developing. How late in the game these offers are going out, and seeing the other OT's we've devoted initial time to in the last 30 days, I think it's safe to say they are a good ways down the pecking order or prospects for the coaches too. 

I don't know what to say to this... I guess our coaches aren't good at recruiting? What should we do? 

We currently have 20 commits plus two transfers.  We can sign 23 but might get 24/25 commits depending on whether Mapieu and Smith actually sign.  Sounding like Mapieu will not sign.   Smith sure indicates that he will be signing.  24 seems most likely right now with Mapieu not signing but (probably) still showing up later.

• One OL: Bell -> Lawrence/Robinson
  • One OLB: JJB ->  Baldonado
  • One RB: Washington or bust
  • Maybe one more DB: Palmer back in the picture -> Taylor -> Torain/Montgomery
  • Tago probably has a spot now with Darlington gone
  • We'd be open to adding another WR but probably only if we miss out on other spots: Hunt -> Hall
  • Maybe Ogbonnia at DT if we miss at a couple spots

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1-2 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ, Matthew Tago
RB - 1-2 - JUCO GREG BELLMaurice Washington
WR - 6 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFF, KATERIAN LeGRONE, JUCO MIKE WILLAIMS,  DOMINICK WATT, MILES JONES, Andre HuntNikko Hall
TE - 1 - CAMERON JURGENS
OT - 1 - Jarrett Bell, Bobby Lawrence, Jalan Robinson
OG/C - 1 - WILL FARNIOK

NT - 1 - MASRY MAPIEU, Otito Ogbonnia
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, CASEY ROGERS
LB - 2-3 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO WILL HONAS, Javontae Jean-Baptiste, Habakkuk Baldonado
CB - 2 - JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, BRAXTON CLARK, Kendrick Torain, Taiyon PalmerCam Taylor, Ken Montgomery
S - 1-2 - CJ SMITH, CAM'RON JONES

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

I don't know what to say to this... I guess our coaches aren't good at recruiting? What should we do? 

Not what I said at all. I stated I think we are now reaching at OT (my opinion). It's not the staff's fault they've had 2 months to address the problem at OT, and they weren't helped by the previous staff seemingly blindly ignoring it on the recruiting trail. They had to start from scratch at OT.

However they offered/visited 8 prospects before offering/visiting Lawrence and Robinson in recent days. That tells me Lawrence and Robinson were down their board a little ways. 

Once again, not their fault. For the amount of time they've had, they've done a tremendous job overall. It stinks we are that far down our board at OT, but so be it. Hopefully they are truely finding a coupe underrated diamonds in the rough. 

Edited by Warrior10
  • Plus1 3