***2018 Recruiting***

12 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Your "context" is nothing but leading. Frost has had 2 months total, and he coached and won a bowl game during that time also.  Riley had 2.5 years at that point.  How can you remotely compare the two?

Let's talk in a year.

Look at the guys Riley had committed? The average was .90. Those were all Elite players. Watch what they do the next few years. I like how you’re bringing up bowl success? This is recruiting I’m talking about. Wake up.

My only leading is to lead y’all to understand that by “star” rating, Riley was doing a very nice job recruiting. Not to take anything away from Frost at all. If you’ve been paying attention at all, I called the Frost shot in September, so it’s not that I am a Riley lover AND Frost Hater. But some folks are pulling the wool over some eyes.

FROST is doing a spectacular job, but it doesn’t mean Riley wasnt. I’m talking about recruiting not on field success.

LASTLY, I fully expect Frost to outdue Riley by miles and miles, but that DOES NOT mean Riley and Co. were doing a bad job recruiting. 

• Plus1 2

Almost word for word the above conversation happened in Riley's 1st and 2nd years. Many were talking about how much better he was at recruiting than Pelini but the ranks were almost exactly the same. I think Riley was trending up and would've been better than Pelini in the end, but I think people just get excited about the new guy.

That said I would be really surprised if Frost's recruiting doesn't wind up being better than both of them.

• Plus1 4
18 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Look at the guys Riley had committed? The average was .90. Those were all Elite players. Watch what they do the next few years. I like how you’re bringing up bowl success? This is recruiting I’m talking about. Wake up.

My only leading is to lead y’all to understand that by “star” rating, Riley was doing a very nice job recruiting. Not to take anything away from Frost at all. If you’ve been paying attention at all, I called the Frost shot in September, so it’s not that I am a Riley lover AND Frost Hater. But some folks are pulling the wool over some eyes.

FROST is doing a spectacular job, but it doesn’t mean Riley wasnt. I’m talking about recruiting not on field success.

LASTLY, I fully expect Frost to outdue Riley by miles and miles, but that DOES NOT mean Riley and Co. were doing a bad job recruiting. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9201516

Edited by runningblind
8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Almost word for word the above conversation happened in Riley's 1st and 2nd years. Many were talking about how much better he was at recruiting than Pelini but the ranks were almost exactly the same. I think Riley was trending up and would've been better than Pelini in the end, but I think people just get excited about the new guy.

That said I would be really surprised if Frost's recruiting doesn't wind up being better than both of them.

Riley had some inflated classes due to signing kids that never showed up. This current class looks good now, but they need to get them ALL on campus. 

The other thing that needs to happen is to have the top 25 class consistently but not go 4-8.. Seasons need to start better reflecting the perceived talent being brought in. The class rank may look similar but results ideally should be way different.

• Plus1 2
41 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Winning cures all. Many of those kids were not coming anyway. Riley got interest yes but on field results would have killed this class. Bookie left before Riley was on way out- I have a feeling others would have followed. Then we would have been stuck under signing our 3rd class in a row since they didn't manage recruiting backups well 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

If 4-5 guys leave after the semester there will be scholarships open.

You included the two transfers in this projection. Dixon and Vedral I believe. Do you know if Vedral is a preferred walk on or did he get an official scholarship from Nebraska? I think he deserves one, but haven’t seen anything official.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Pardon me....I don’t mean to be difficult with this. But....correct me if I’m wrong...he would have to sign by April and that’s before these guys would leave “after the semester”. 

But...it would put us above the 3 extra allowed. 

The staff can only oversign by 3 as of the count at the date they sign and the signing period technically ends in May, but anyone on the team at the start of classes in January have to count against the team’s 85 until the summer even if they leave early. This means that the count is set as of signing day regardless of who leaves this Spring. If the staff wants a kid to join and their isn’t a scholarship, then he can walk on and they can promise a future scholarship for him, but that would have to be above the needed attrition of 3 players by the start of fall camp so the staff would need 4+ leavers after spring ball to make that work. I don’t think the B1G allows grey shirts, sitting out this year and waiting to enroll until next January to count against next year’s class, but I can’t find anything to back that up. Either way the kid has to walk on or sit out a year and hope the staff is honest about having a future spot in the 85 available then.

Edited by caveman99
1 hour ago, spurs1990 said:

Riley had some inflated classes due to signing kids that never showed up. This current class looks good now, but they need to get them ALL on campus. 

The other thing that needs to happen is to have the top 25 class consistently but not go 4-8.. Seasons need to start better reflecting the perceived talent being brought in. The class rank may look similar but results ideally should be way different.

Lol yes, and Pelini’s best class had like the top 11 transfer out or something ridiculous. 

36 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Winning cures all. Many of those kids were not coming anyway. Riley got interest yes but on field results would have killed this class. Bookie left before Riley was on way out- I have a feeling others would have followed. Then we would have been stuck under signing our 3rd class in a row since they didn't manage recruiting backups well 

Very possible, but we don’t know that for sure.

25 minutes ago, Norhusker said:

You included the two transfers in this projection. Dixon and Vedral I believe. Do you know if Vedral is a preferred walk on or did he get an official scholarship from Nebraska? I think he deserves one, but haven’t seen anything official.

Vedral can’t have scholarship until UCF says so.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Pardon me....I don’t mean to be difficult with this. But....correct me if I’m wrong...he would have to sign by April and that’s before these guys would leave “after the semester”. 

But...it would put us above the 3 extra allowed. 

He doesn't have to sign at all.  He can just show up and enroll in classes.

3 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I have no clue what we are doing for numbers on this class. Frost and Co. know more than we do.... and it seems like they are taking 24 or 25.

20 - Mapieau= 19

+ Taylor, Tago, JJB, Bell, Washington/Taz =24

Plus, we’ve been talking to those two local kids. Milton and ???

Yeah there must be some guys that they know are going to transfer in the spring.