Chris Spielman: Nebraska needs to tackle

And oddly enough 2 of the top 4 leading tacklers in Husker football history played at least one season under Pelini.

With RUUD, I really thought we would get that Bo in 2008. IIRC, RUUD even commented about how much Bo helped his game in regards to technique and pursuit angle. Seeing 2003 with Super D, and the Bullocks bros, I was very excited for Bo to be the HC. But like Craig Bohl, he was an ill fit for his position. Bohl appears to have excelled as a big picture guy at HC and was a poor DC. Bo, great DC as seen at NU, OU and LSU, but poor big picture guy.

Lavonte excelled in spite if Bo. Had it not been for injuries, I do not think Laving would have seen the field. Even after his first start and like 45 tackle performance, Bo said he was "ok, but played outside of the scheme". IMO, Lavonte, like SUH was such a great athlete that they could play in or out of the scheme and single handily change a game. They were that athletic.

Again, I really had high hopes in 2008 for the return to greatness. After 2010, I continued tohope for Bo to be the innovator we all saw in 2003. I have no idea where that guy went.

And in other news, we need to complete more passes, throw less INT's and get more TD's.........

On a serious note, we have been technically and fundamentally pathetic for several years under Bo. Other than 2009 and 2010 (Defensively), our team was a dumpster fire as it relates to penalties, TO's, miscues, missed assignments, tackles etc..... Throw that in with zero player development and you got what we got. 9 wins and a$$ beatings by teams with a pulse.......

I like Banks comments about a "planned collision". Diving at a guy with no intent to "collide" other than hoping you can knock him down with shoulder roll is a friggin joke. That's not a planned collision. Its trying to minimize contact on the defenders part IMO. Solid, basic technique works. IIRC, Pete Carroll had his Seattle D work with some guys from Aussie rules football on tackling. You know, face and chest up, butt down, squared up, wrap up etc.... It surely improved their D. Less penalties, better tackling etc....

I also like the idea of gang tackling. The way we played so "technique oriented", if one guy missed a tackle/assignment it was off to the races. Their was no plan for pursuit, over lap, help, assistance or whatever word you want to use. Almost as if each guy was on an island.

Banks is saying all the right stuff. I hope that it translates to better results. I do not see how it can honestly be worse......

I'd +2 your post if I could.
They were/are still one of the most penalized teams in the league. Unless you're talking about unsportsmanlike penalties. Also, Michael Bennett accounts for half the penalties because he jumps offside a 2-3 times per game.

That tackling work is solid, the other key was shuffling through as many transactions as they did to find the right players to fit their system and mentality.

Not as easy to do at the college level, but I like Urbans attitude of playing true freshman and not holding kids back. 1) if they can compete let them make the impact 2) if they can't cut it they'll be out of the program sooner and able to recruit a better player.

I should have clarified. Carroll said it would help to not get his guys ejected and penalized.

Could points about Urban. Prior to either the MNC or Bama he said he simply recruits guys to his system. One goes down, the other guys know the system and were recruited to fit in that system. I know that some of his QB's in the past were knocked for being products of his "system", but multiple MNC's show that system works....

Developing and creating an identity/system would pay huge IMO for performance.

Dear Chris Spielman

No sh#t?

If it really is as simple as that, then why was tackling so poor on a regular basis?

Sure, his statement is a bit of a "well, duh," but, I for one think the poor tackling wasn't made as big of an issue as it should've been. Angles and tackling were bad on a regular basis, and a big part of tackling is just making sure you're in the right spot to make the tackle in the first place.

Even after his first start and like 45 tackle performance, Bo said he was "ok, but played outside of the scheme".

I'm not sure that's exactly what Pelini said. Can you find the actual quote?

Memory was a little rusty, but close.

One of the more fun Nebraska hypotheticals of a recent vintage is asking how long would it have taken for David to get on the field if not for injuries at linebacker? He made his debut in the first game of 2010 against Western Kentucky, the same day Taylor Martinez made his first start, and led the team with 13 tackles. The next closest player had six.

The Huskers had few options but to play David in that game. Will Compton was out for the first four games that season. Sean Fisher missed the entire year. Blake Lawrence, who would’ve been a senior, had to give up the game before that 2010 season started. A lot of things had to happen for David to see the field that early and, thanks to Martinez’s dazzling debut, Bo Pelini only got one question on his leading tackler that day.

“I think Lavonte David made a lot of mistakes as did most of our other guys,” he said.

Dear Chris Spielman

No sh#t?

If it really is as simple as that, then why was tackling so poor on a regular basis?

Sure, his statement is a bit of a "well, duh," but, I for one think the poor tackling wasn't made as big of an issue as it should've been. Angles and tackling were bad on a regular basis, and a big part of tackling is just making sure you're in the right spot to make the tackle in the first place.

If memory serves correctly, they didn't tackle much in practice. Kind of difficult to hone your skill if you don't practice it

Its pretty easy to say now 4 years later that had Fisher and Compton not gotten hurt fall camp of 2010 we probably would not to this even know how LavonteDavid is. Id bet even Suh went rogue and played out of scheme 75% of the time. How many tims did he drop back onthe snapto deflect a pass or track down a screen? You think Bo and Carl, and theyre obvious lack of creativity and adjustment had him do that? Not to mention. Suh had an NFL secondary behind him against unbalanced pass heavy offenses that held it up when he did get out of position. The guys went out and played football and made plays. Suh got his PT cuz he was an absolute physical beast and had an incredible mindfor the game. David got his PT opportunity as a lack of options. Show me the evidence whereim wrong and lll show you 7 years of whiffed recruits, lack of development, and great talent riding pine to show Imright. Damien Stafford was a stsrting nickel back last year on an NFL team. Took him less than two season as a pro under such tutledge. Thattells you all you need to know.

And in other news, we need to complete more passes, throw less INT's and get more TD's.........

On a serious note, we have been technically and fundamentally pathetic for several years under Bo. Other than 2009 and 2010 (Defensively), our team was a dumpster fire as it relates to penalties, TO's, miscues, missed assignments, tackles etc..... Throw that in with zero player development and you got what we got. 9 wins and a$$ beatings by teams with a pulse.......

I like Banks comments about a "planned collision". Diving at a guy with no intent to "collide" other than hoping you can knock him down with shoulder roll is a friggin joke. That's not a planned collision. Its trying to minimize contact on the defenders part IMO. Solid, basic technique works. IIRC, Pete Carroll had his Seattle D work with some guys from Aussie rules football on tackling. You know, face and chest up, butt down, squared up, wrap up etc.... It surely improved their D. Less penalties, better tackling etc....

I also like the idea of gang tackling. The way we played so "technique oriented", if one guy missed a tackle/assignment it was off to the races. Their was no plan for pursuit, over lap, help, assistance or whatever word you want to use. Almost as if each guy was on an island.

Banks is saying all the right stuff. I hope that it translates to better results. I do not see how it can honestly be worse......

I'd +2 your post if I could.
They were/are still one of the most penalized teams in the league. Unless you're talking about unsportsmanlike penalties. Also, Michael Bennett accounts for half the penalties because he jumps offside a 2-3 times per game.

That tackling work is solid, the other key was shuffling through as many transactions as they did to find the right players to fit their system and mentality.

Not as easy to do at the college level, but I like Urbans attitude of playing true freshman and not holding kids back. 1) if they can compete let them make the impact 2) if they can't cut it they'll be out of the program sooner and able to recruit a better player.

I should have clarified. Carroll said it would help to not get his guys ejected and penalized.

Could points about Urban. Prior to either the MNC or Bama he said he simply recruits guys to his system. One goes down, the other guys know the system and were recruited to fit in that system. I know that some of his QB's in the past were knocked for being products of his "system", but multiple MNC's show that system works....

Developing and creating an identity/system would pay huge IMO for performance.

That's what I love about college football. I've never understood the sentiment about trying to get kids that are next level talent if they don't fit your system. We're trying to win national titles here, not send kids to the NFL.

Yes kids wanna go to nfl to make money but if your winning titles. The nfl will take your kids more times than not.

Recruit the system and forget about the douche bags that grade you out as a system guy. Just go prove them wrong.

And Pelini was still a poor coach.

Good news for you champ. He's gone.

You're right. I have no idea why I felt like I had to jump in and remind folks why we won't miss him.

Wait a minute. It's coming back to me.....

Riley has been a head coach twice as long as Pelini at the collegiate level......and has the same number of conference championships. If that's not exciting news..........at least the press conferences will be more friendly. If that's your thing.

And Pelini was still a poor coach.

Good news for you champ. He's gone.

You're right. I have no idea why I felt like I had to jump in and remind folks why we won't miss him.

Wait a minute. It's coming back to me.....

Riley has been a head coach twice as long as Pelini at the collegiate level......and has the same number of conference championships. If that's not exciting news..........at least the press conferences will be more friendly. If that's your thing.

You are such a douschenozzle.

• Fire 4