Would you pay $36.30 for ESPN?

$36/month is too much year round. I might during during college football season. I would like to see this fail and trickle through everything. It's mentioned earlier in the thread that they pay $6B for rights. That in turn helps pay the huge salaries of players and coaches. I would like to see those salaries drop and TV rights made more affordable. The average MLB salary is around $4M. NBA (smaller rosters) is $4.9M. Football is around $2M, and hockey is $2.5. These aren't the stars, this is the average. I can only think of one major pro sports event I've been to in about 10 years, because the ticket prices are just too high. But many sell out so I guess they will stay high until more people have had enough. Get off my lawn.

That was the ultimate old-man post ever.

Interesting thought though. If ESPN and cable "tank", and the money disappears, does that start a domino effect of less money for coaches, less money for tv contracts, less money for apparel deals, cheaper ticket prices, etc.?

I'm an idealist for sure, but I've always thought that the solution to the, "The players deserve to be paid because people are making billions off of them" argument is to take away the billions from the equation, not to add more money to it. That would not, at all, be a bad thing imo.

ESPN does that and they lose a lot of viewers who arent willing to pay.

Less viewers means less money from companies.

Less viewers mean some major sports possibly go over to Fox sports/NBC Sports or other sports channels that arent extra.

ESPN still makes money, but i think long term it could really hurt them. I am a sports nut, but ESPN is not worth 36/a month to me. I am very close to dropping cable in general.

Less viewers mean some major sports possibly go over to Fox sports/NBC Sports or other sports channels that arent extra.

[in my best Jeff Goldblum voice] Aaahhhhh yes but wouldn't the other networks fall under the same conundrum?

One network moving to a subscription model and the others generally follow. They just have less skin in the game at the moment. So those sports may see a benefit to move but it would in theory just delay the inevitable. It would buy some time for the leagues to find revenue models that fit and succeed within the new subscription models.

It would make me absolutely sick to my stomach paying a specific charge to ESPN to see their programing when I know they then turn around and give that money to conferences like SEC and schools like Texas and clearly pimp those programs.

But, there are enough Husker games on those channels that I would not want to miss them.

It would make me absolutely sick to my stomach paying a specific charge to ESPN to see their programing when I know they then turn around and give that money to conferences like SEC and schools like Texas and clearly pimp those programs.

But, there are enough Husker games on those channels that I would not want to miss them.

If you have cable/dish,, you are paying ~$6/month right now to ESPN to see them turn around and give that money to conferences like the SEC and schools like Texas.

If you have cable/dish,, you are paying ~$6/month right now to ESPN to see them turn around and give that money to conferences like the SEC and schools like Texas.

Plus, the Big 10 gets paid by ESPN, too. Yes, the Big 10 has the BTN, but ESPN pays the conference plenty of cash for the rights to their football and basketball games.

Plus, the Big 10 gets paid by ESPN, too. Yes, the Big 10 has the BTN, but ESPN pays the conference plenty of cash for the rights to their football and basketball games.

We'll see. Hopefully the bottom doesn't drop out before the B1G contracts are done.

No I would not pay this, of course I wonder what USA, TNT, Discovery ect. would need to charge if left to stand alone. If it were unbundled I wonder how much value future contracts would have for schools and teams. The current values do seem to be a bit out of line with reality.

I pay 20 bucks a month for Sling TV. ESPN, ESPN 2,AMC, TNT, TBS, History 1 & 2, IFC and a bunch of others. You can pay an extra 5 bucks for the sports package that includes ESPN U and some others. I just stream it right thru my Xbox One. The quality is hit and miss sometimes, but imo totally worth not having cable as much as I watch TV.

Google it. Sling TV.