SIGNED - RB Jordan Stevenson

Saw a tweet that said it probably only because he hasn't signed letter of intent yet?

Recruits don't have to sign a letter of intent. Almost every recruit does, but they don't have to.

Why is the NLI the worst contract in American sports? It requires players to sign away their right to be recruited by other schools. If they don’t enroll at the school with which they signed, they forfeit a year of eligibility. Not a redshirt year, but one of their four years to play. In return, the NLI guarantees the player nothing.

Sure, the NLI claims to guarantee a scholarship, but that simply isn’t true. That is contingent on the player being admitted to the school and on the football program staying below the 85-scholarship limit. A school can dump the player at any point between Signing Day and preseason camp, and he would have no recourse. This guarantee is no different than the one on a conference-approved financial aid form, but it costs the player something the financial aid agreement does not.

If I sign a contract with Sports Illustrated, I would give up my right to negotiate with other companies. But SI would reimburse me by paying an agreed-upon salary over a given period of time. That’s how a contract is supposed to work. Each side is supposed to get something. The NLI gives the schools everything and gives the players nothing.

More
Why should anyone sign an NLI? Because in the real world, you’re only as valuable as your leverage. The 20th player in Arkansas State’s recruiting class needs to sign an NLI, as he may lack many other attractive options for a free education. In fact, almost every football recruit should sign the NLI. But the best ones should not.