Camping Out: Quarterbacks

Does Tommy Armstrong have the tools/ability to run Mike Riley’s offense? – Ed Starke

After watching two practices, I have concerns. Armstrong lacks consistent touch and accuracy. He has a rep for being sharper on long passes than he is on shorter ones. Not good in Riley’s pro-style/West Coast attack. Riley won’t ask Armstrong to play totally out of his comfort zone, still using some zone reads. But when push comes to shove, Armstrong is going to need to hit closer to 60 percent of his passes to make things click and give this attack balance.

BTN Mailbag

• Fire 1

I think BP kept things a little more conservative than Beck probably wanted to with. I am not sure that is a bad either. I think Pelini vetoed things during games that may have made Beck a bit more conservative than he normally would have been if giving complete autonomy.

If anyone cares :ahhhhhhhh

I think it's challenging for any of us to comment on "Bo's handcuffs" because most of the evidence is speculation and circumstantial. From my observations, I think there were times Beck knew exactly what he wanted to do, and other times he didn't. Some of his play-calling lacked consistency and theme, while at other times, he dialed up the perfect play for a situation. And even if Pelini had a hand in limiting the offense or making offensive decisions, well, that was his job. He was the head coach and has the right to do what he thought best for the team to win. That will happen anywhere.

• Fire 4

Would you guys please keep your arguments.......

shorter and more snarky. It'd be more fun.

Good gifs. 2* and 4*.

Oh that play...THAT PLAY....next time I want to see a pump fake right then the easy ball to the middle to uncovered #7.

Finally I'd like to b*t*h about the end zone drop. What the he** kind of play is that? DPE runs to basically the exact same spot as 82. He get's interfered, bumps into the other db who then hits 82 before the ball arrives. Should have been PI called on the first contact. That 4th quarter was a wild one.

I think it's challenging for any of us to comment on "Bo's handcuffs" because most of the evidence is speculation and circumstantial. From my observations, I think there were times Beck knew exactly what he wanted to do, and other times he didn't. Some of his play-calling lacked consistency and theme, while at other times, he dialed up the perfect play for a situation.

Yep. Pretty much.

I think it's challenging for any of us to comment on "Bo's handcuffs" because most of the evidence is speculation and circumstantial.

That doesn't stop us from declaring with absolute certainty the reality of pretty much every other minute aspect of our football program :lol:

• Fire 5

He was the head coach and has the right to do what he thought best for the team to win. That will happen anywhere.

Oh, there's no doubt that it was his right. It was one thing where his involvement - at least in my opinion - never seemed to be productive.

But then, at this level, Bo seemed a much better coordinator to me than a coach. So what did we expect, I guess.

I follow you. I know some variations of the WCO utilize more option routes, while others focus more on timing/precision routes. Have there been any quotes from Riley/Langsdorf yet regarding this? Just curious.

It appears I may have answered my own question.

Riley may have been quoted when the BTN guys were in town as saying receiver routes will have an "intent" in this offense, and that if that first choice isn't available, then we move on down the progression. It sounded like option routes may not play much of a role now. I overheard this while listening to the Sharp and Benning podcast, I think the third segment.

One veteran practice observer says he thinks Darlington has the edge over Fyfe for the #2 job. Bush hasn't looked as good as he did in the spring.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Zack get some playing time this year.

Good lord, let's hope so. If this staff doesn't start developing the backup QB's a little better than the previous staff, I will be very disappointed.

South Alabama. Southern Miss, Purdue and Rutgers should provide great opportunities for that.

One veteran practice observer says he thinks Darlington has the edge over Fyfe for the #2 job. Bush hasn't looked as good as he did in the spring.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Zack get some playing time this year.

Good lord, let's hope so. If this staff doesn't start developing the backup QB's a little better than the previous staff, I will be very disappointed.

South Alabama. Southern Miss, Purdue and Rutgers should provide great opportunities for that.

No kidding. I hope a young backup gets significant playing time in the second half of every game. That would mean we're winning the game and developing a QB for the future.