Camping Out: Defensive Line

If you guys don't think we will miss Gregory this year, I recommend you watch this video.

Great video. Gregory was/is a beast.

It's a little bit of both as far as how much we'll "miss" him this year. Games like the Miami game, he was a monster. But he also didn't play at all in three games and either missed parts of games or was slowed in several others. So he didn't have as big of an effect on as many games as he could have.

Yes, and NU struggled in games in which he wasn't able to play. Gregory won't be able to play in any games this year.

I think Rush End could be a problem position for NU this year. Yes, the scheme will be different and probably more aggressive. But, I am not a fan of "big, slow" DE's. The rush end may be more more aggressive, but it won't matter if the rush end isn't fast enough to get to the QB.

Nebraska struggled in games he did play too. Where's his film against Wisconsin? USC? I wish we had his talent with this scheme but he wasn't a great player for us last year for various reasons.

Exactly.

Yeah, because all of NU's struggles are from Gregory and because he didn't "do enough". Only if we had 11 Jack Gangwishes out there.

• Fire 1

If you guys don't think we will miss Gregory this year, I recommend you watch this video.

Great video. Gregory was/is a beast.

It's a little bit of both as far as how much we'll "miss" him this year. Games like the Miami game, he was a monster. But he also didn't play at all in three games and either missed parts of games or was slowed in several others. So he didn't have as big of an effect on as many games as he could have.

Yes, and NU struggled in games in which he wasn't able to play. Gregory won't be able to play in any games this year.

I think Rush End could be a problem position for NU this year. Yes, the scheme will be different and probably more aggressive. But, I am not a fan of "big, slow" DE's. The rush end may be more more aggressive, but it won't matter if the rush end isn't fast enough to get to the QB.

Nebraska struggled in games he did play too. Where's his film against Wisconsin? USC? I wish we had his talent with this scheme but he wasn't a great player for us last year for various reasons.

Exactly.

Yeah, because all of NU's struggles are from Gregory and because he didn't "do enough". Only if we had 11 Jack Gangwishes out there.

u-mad-bro.gif

I hope that assessment of Collins is right. Watching games from last year over the past month, I'm not seeing a ton of take-the-game-over plays from Collins. He had that fantastic play to stuff Duke Johnson in the 4th quarter against Miami, and a couple/three sacks here and there, but for the most part he didn't stand out.

I hope that assessment of Collins is right. Watching games from last year over the past month, I'm not seeing a ton of take-the-game-over plays from Collins. He had that fantastic play to stuff Duke Johnson in the 4th quarter against Miami, and a couple/three sacks here and there, but for the most part he didn't stand out.

Part of the deal on Collins is he is double-teamed on basically every play. If he isn't double-teamed, he pushes the blocker back several yards and gets in the quarterback's face.

I'm not trying to say he's on Suh's level but here's a little comparison:

Collins - 2014 - Soph - 45 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, 13 quarterback hurries

Suh - 2007 - Soph - 34 tackles, 6 tackles for loss, 1.0 sacks, 4 quarterback hurries

Suh - 2008 - Junior - 76 tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, 7 quarterback hurries

Again, not saying Collins will get to the same level, but his stats compare favorably. He stats from his Sophomore year are much better compared to Suh's sophomore year and not that far behind Suh's Junior year. Not as many tackles but pretty comparable other than that. A sack, a hurry and a few tackles is a pretty good game for a DT.

3. Maliek Collins is the best player on the team.

Done. Finished. End of story. The 6-2, 300-pound junior defensive tackle is an unstoppable force on the interior, teaming with fellow junior tackle Vincent Valentine (who has been battling a knee issue) to give Nebraska a great tandem. (Penn State also has a monster duo in Austin Johnson and Anthony Zettel.) Collins moved well the day I watched him, battling a Nebraska offensive line that is very much a work-in-progress. Pencil him in for first-team All-Big Ten honors.

BTN

I really like the look of our defensive line especially the run stopping aspect of it. I think they will have a good 4 man rotation in Collins, VV, Williams and Stoltenberg on the interior. My only concern is that VV gets healthy. It seems that the Media are really concerned about an outside pass rush, I think we will just have to wait and see on that. I think Freedom will play a lot on the outside and the other walk on kid should get some time. I really think they can look to the freshman Neal and Davis possibly for that speed rush on the outside.