The Repub Debate

FYI:

Only 27% of college graduates get a job in their career field of study.

AND

51% of college grads work jobs that don't require a college degree

Sounds like a great idea to go to college. ZRod, your hyperbole of "if you don't have a college degree you get to work at McDonald's" is simply inaccurate, but that's the message our society pushes on us, so i guess i can't blame you.

Personally, I'm a proponent that more people need to be looking into entrepreneurship instead of just finding jobs, but that isn't taught in schools unfortunately... There simply aren't enough jobs (and good jobs) for people anymore with technology and outsourcing of our factories that's been occurring.

You throw these numbers out with no sources. How can I take that seriously, I've never seen these before? Just because a graduate doesn't find a job or career within the feild of their degree doesn't mean that degree didn't help them get their job or give them skills necessary to succeed in that job.

I'm sorry you don't feel you education was valuable but you are more likely to earn a higher wage with a college degree, something most people want. And it will probably pay for itself.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/upshot/is-college-worth-it-clearly-new-data-say.html

• Fire 1

All I know is - like referenced in the one article - if they really offered a full refund for anyone who was feeling overwhelmed in the course that should be the end of the entire case right there. Scams don't offer refunds.

Actually, it makes complete sense for a scam like Trump University to offer a refund. The students that demand a refund are the most likely to sue so giving them a refund could save them millions in a lawsuit. What I find surprising is the number of students that received or attempted to receive a refund:

The more apparent inconsistency is that Covais–seeking to demonstrate that Trump University had an accommodating refund policy–declared that the company had issued 2,144 refunds to 6,698 attendees of the $1,495 three-day program, or 32%. That a third of the customers demanded refunds is hard to reconcile with a claimed 98% satisfaction rate, especially since the mass of plaintiffs now suing claimed that they, too, wanted refunds but were, they claimed, told they could not get them because they did not ask for them within 72 hours of the first day of participating in a program. Similarly, the refund rate for the $34,995 program, which according to the lawsuits was tougher on giving money back, was 16%. If at least 31% of one group and 16% of the other were so instantly dissatisfied that they immediately demanded refunds, how could 98% have been satisfied?

Link

If only they offered refunds at public universities... There would be closer to 80% that would demand a refund considering that's approximately the number that don't even get a job in their degree field. But since that's the societal norm, for some reason, people keep pushing kids to college even though the student loan debt will set them back.

Are you a real person? Do you live in anything that even closely resembles the real world? What caused your vendetta against education and being informed about anything?

People *without* higher education are much more likely to be unable to make a career in anything other than the specific trade for which they've been trained. I don't think, by and large, this is desirable. Education is a good thing.

• Fire 1

People *without* higher education are much more likely to be unable to make a career in anything other than the specific trade for which they've been trained. I don't think, by and large, this is desirable. Education is a good thing.

Education is a common good. It is in society's best interest that we all have the highest education we desire. It's straight dipshettery to say otherwise.

• Fire 1

FYI:

AND

Sounds like a great idea to go to college. ZRod, your hyperbole of "if you don't have a college degree you get to work at McDonald's" is simply inaccurate, but that's the message our society pushes on us, so i guess i can't blame you.

Personally, I'm a proponent that more people need to be looking into entrepreneurship instead of just finding jobs, but that isn't taught in schools unfortunately... There simply aren't enough jobs (and good jobs) for people anymore with technology and outsourcing of our factories that's been occurring.

Lots of companies that post jobs that don't require a college degree to perform still prefer people with college degrees. I know people who have experienced this when applying for administrative assistant jobs.

What would you say is the cost of the cheapest company one could start and make enough money to live on? IIRC you often say people should just start their own businesses but that tends to require money. Most people work up to something like that with time.

People can start a business and build a livable or even luxurious income in network marketing, but many people are uneducated about that industry so are guarded against it.

In traditional business, i would recommend a franchise to any beginning entrepreneur (not McDonald's or big chains like that). Smaller franchises can be started for $50-100k, which is less than most pay for college, and those can provide livable, if not very solid incomes.

FYI:

AND

Lots of companies that post jobs that don't require a college degree to perform still prefer people with college degrees. I know people who have experienced this when applying for administrative assistant jobs.

What would you say is the cost of the cheapest company one could start and make enough money to live on? IIRC you often say people should just start their own businesses but that tends to require money. Most people work up to something like that with time.

People can start a business and build a livable or even luxurious income in network marketing, but many people are uneducated about that industry so are guarded against it.

In traditional business, i would recommend a franchise to any beginning entrepreneur (not McDonald's or big chains like that). Smaller franchises can be started for $50-100k, which is less than most pay for college, and those can provide livable, if not very solid incomes.

People paying that for college are usually getting it from loans. It's far easier to get a college loan than a loan to start a business (maybe that's the problem?). $50k-100k requires you to have had a good job or some kind of collateral (which usually requires you to have had a good job).

• Fire 1

I would not recommend taking out a loan on a McDonald's franchise in lieu of getting a bachelor's degree. The former can work for some people, and really you should pursue what you want to pursue. The latter keeps more options open. To each their own.

I would not recommend taking out a loan on a McDonald's franchise in lieu of getting a bachelor's degree. The former can work for some people, and really you should pursue what you want to pursue. The latter keeps more options open. To each their own.

He said not McDonald's.

FYI:

AND

People paying that for college are usually getting it from loans. It's far easier to get a college loan than a loan to start a business (maybe that's the problem?). $50k-100k requires you to have had a good job or some kind of collateral (which usually requires you to have had a good job).

That's exactly one of the problems. Lack of financial and entrepreneurship education in schools is the largest problem.

Which is where a good network marketing company can help fill the gap, not only in income, but mostly in business knowledge and entrepreneurial mindset.

Personally, i wouldn't recommend franchising a McDonald's franchise either. You're looking at probably a million at least in startup costs, which is a lot of risk, even for someone like me.

FYI:

AND

That's exactly one of the problems. Lack of financial and entrepreneurship education in schools is the largest problem.

Which is where a good network marketing company can help fill the gap, not only in income, but mostly in business knowledge and entrepreneurial mindset.

Starting to think you sell either Mary Kay or Tupperware and are only a few posts away about sharing an exciting opportunity for someone that doesn't have an "employee mindset" :)