The Repub Debate

I'll be the first to admit that there are too many kids that try to go to a 4 year college and expect greatness once they are out. They don't take it seriously and they have no clue what they want to do. I'll easily also admit that college is way too expensive.

But, to sit here and claim that because there is some statistic claiming that a certain percentage of people don't get jobs in their field is a reason why college is a joke is preposterous. Just because you don't get a job in that exact field doesn't mean college was a waste. I guess I would be a part of that statistic. I went to college for Agri-business. I wanted to some how be in the cattle business....probably managing a feedlot. Well, that didn't work out. I got a job with a different type of company and my career went elsewhere. However, if I hadn't gone to college, I would have never gotten the job I did get.

Also, just because kids fail after college to get the job they want, doesn't mean the college was worthless. Many times it's the effort the kid puts into it that was totally worthless. College isn't going to sit there and hold your hand and guarantee you success. There were kids who took the exact same classes I did but was way more serious about school. They ended up getting much better jobs out of college.

And......the claim that network marketing is somehow a greater opportunity than going to college is so astronomically idiotic that I'm starting to believe you aren't even serious about this discussion.

I could say literally the exact same things about Trump University, except with a higher likelihood of it being true.

I'll be the first to admit that there are too many kids that try to go to a 4 year college and expect greatness once they are out. They don't take it seriously and they have no clue what they want to do. I'll easily also admit that college is way too expensive.

But, to sit here and claim that because there is some statistic claiming that a certain percentage of people don't get jobs in their field is a reason why college is a joke is preposterous. Just because you don't get a job in that exact field doesn't mean college was a waste. I guess I would be a part of that statistic. I went to college for Agri-business. I wanted to some how be in the cattle business....probably managing a feedlot. Well, that didn't work out. I got a job with a different type of company and my career went elsewhere. However, if I hadn't gone to college, I would have never gotten the job I did get.

Also, just because kids fail after college to get the job they want, doesn't mean the college was worthless. Many times it's the effort the kid puts into it that was totally worthless. College isn't going to sit there and hold your hand and guarantee you success. There were kids who took the exact same classes I did but was way more serious about school. They ended up getting much better jobs out of college.

And......the claim that network marketing is somehow a greater opportunity than going to college is so astronomically idiotic that I'm starting to believe you aren't even serious about this discussion.

I could say literally the exact same things about Trump University, except with a higher likelihood of it being true.

:facepalm:

• Fire 3

Regarding your last sentence, unless you've experienced it you not only don't have a clue, you have no right to judge it. I went to college for 4.5 years, got involved with network marketing a couple years ago and learned 1000 times more valuable info through national and regional trainings in MLM than I ever learned in college and high school combined.

Regarding your last sentence, unless you've experienced it you not only don't have a clue, you have no right to judge it. I went to college for 4.5 years, got involved with network marketing a couple years ago and learned 1000 times more valuable info through national and regional trainings in MLM than I ever learned in college and high school combined.

based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation: anecdotal evidence.

What you personally experienced is irrelevant. The whole picture is what matters. I have no idea what that whole picture is, but you're not doing your argument any good.

• Fire 2

Took 5.5 years to squeeze 4 years of college in. Mostly because my first 3 years were totally wasted with me thinking drinking beer and toquilla and chasing women were more important than going to class. Changed majors after my junior year and finally got serious. After Sophomore year, ran out of money so I was working full time while going to school full time. Had many friends who either had the same experience as me or actually took it serious, got a good education (from start to finish) and have great jobs because of it. Still, the way I went through, and after getting serious about it sometime in my 3rd year, I wouldn't have been able to do anything like what I have been able to do.

Worked for a fortune 500 company for 3 years, started my own business and ran it for 13 years. Became sales manager of a decent sized company and now am in management.

Soooo....yes....I have lived it. I have been everything from the total f#*k up in college to the serious kid trying to actually get a degree and make a life for myself.

Sooooo....yes....I can judge and have my own opinion...thanks.....

And...BTW....I am very happy that you have found success in network marketing. I happen to know a number of people who completely failed at it also and found it a total waste of time and effort. Glad someone has made it big in it.

• Fire 1

Took 5.5 years to squeeze 4 years of college in. Mostly because my first 3 years were totally wasted with me thinking drinking beer and toquilla and chasing women were more important than going to class. Changed majors after my junior year and finally got serious. After Sophomore year, ran out of money so I was working full time while going to school full time. Had many friends who either had the same experience as me or actually took it serious, got a good education (from start to finish) and have great jobs because of it. Still, the way I went through, and after getting serious about it sometime in my 3rd year, I wouldn't have been able to do anything like what I have been able to do.

Worked for a fortune 500 company for 3 years, started my own business and ran it for 13 years. Became sales manager of a decent sized company and now am in management.

Soooo....yes....I have lived it. I have been everything from the total f#*k up in college to the serious kid trying to actually get a degree and make a life for myself.

And...BTW....I am very happy that you have found success in network marketing. I happen to know a number of people who completely failed at it also and found it a total waste of time and effort. Glad someone has made it big in it.

I am not going to misrepresent myself. I havent made much in network marketing. The point I'm making is that the training was much more valuable and much less expensive and way more interactive than any college education.

I am not going to misrepresent myself. I havent made much in network marketing. The point I'm making is that the training was much more valuable and much less expensive and way more interactive than any college education.

Just because you had no business going to college doesn't mean most of the population shouldn't.

Just because you had no business going to college doesn't mean most of the population shouldn't.

Sorry, but in the current system and situation, most people shouldn't be going to college. Sending kids there is starting them way behind in life.

:backtotopic Back on topic. I'm amused by some of Newt's comments lately. After being spoken of as a strong VP pic, he has made several comments critical of Trump. This after being an almost apologist for the guy during the primaries. Maybe he is seeing the 'stain on the wall' that being associated wt Trump in any role isn't an image/legacy builder.

Here's the thing....it's much more common for Republicans to call each other out when the screw up. When some have had affairs and such, they are pressured to step down or they lose a spot on a committee they are a part of. I'm not saying it happens 100% of the time, but it's way more common than on the Democratic side. I think it's healthy for key figures in a party to call out each other when they screw up.

:backtotopic Back on topic. I'm amused by some of Newt's comments lately. After being spoken of as a strong VP pic, he has made several comments critical of Trump. This after being an almost apologist for the guy during the primaries. Maybe he is seeing the 'stain on the wall' that being associated wt Trump in any role isn't an image/legacy builder.

Here's the thing....it's much more common for Republicans to call each other out when the screw up. When some have had affairs and such, they are pressured to step down or they lose a spot on a committee they are a part of. I'm not saying it happens 100% of the time, but it's way more common than on the Democratic side. I think it's healthy for key figures in a party to call out each other when they screw up.

I think we view things things through our own partisan glasses. I would be very surprised to find any metric that proves Republicans are better moral police within their party.

Remember: Ronald Reagan's 11th Commandment was "Thou Shalt Not Speak Ill of Any Fellow Republican."

Donald Trump, a bit like Ron Paul, is carpetbagging the Republican Party, so criticism of Trump is a different animal, especially among those who think he's about to destroy the party.

But here's a fun fact: the nearly 8 year Obama administration is among the most scandal free in history.

Good times.

I think we view things things through our own partisan glasses. I would be very surprised to find any metric that proves Republicans are better moral police within their party.

Remember: Ronald Reagan's 11th Commandment was "Thou Shalt Not Speak Ill of Any Fellow Republican."

Donald Trump, a bit like Ron Paul, is carpetbagging the Republican Party, so criticism of Trump is a different animal, especially among those who think he's about to destroy the party.

But here's a fun fact: the nearly 8 year Obama administration is among the most scandal free in history.

Good times.

Well there was Larry Craig, Trent Lott, and others that lost their seat or stepped down facing pressure for saying or doing something stupid. Had Bill Clinton been a GOP nominee in 1992 he would not have made it to the finish line. This past year's contest has been a total change of script with Trump winning despite his many dumb statements. Let's not forget Anthony Weiner hung around (pun intended) for some time after his lovely scandal.

As for your assessment that Obama has been scandal free, how do you figure he was more scandal free than his predecessor? Can you explain? And if you really believe that, does that mean that the "right wing conspiracy republicans" that Hillary and many leftists claim are out to get them are not really as bad as Hillary claims?

Good times.

Well there was Larry Craig, Trent Lott, and others that lost their seat or stepped down facing pressure for saying or doing something stupid. Had Bill Clinton been a GOP nominee in 1992 he would not have made it to the finish line. This past year's contest has been a total change of script with Trump winning despite his many dumb statements. Let's not forget Anthony Weiner hung around (pun intended) for some time after his lovely scandal.

As for your assessment that Obama has been scandal free, how do you figure he was more scandal free than his predecessor? Can you explain? And if you really believe that, does that mean that the "right wing conspiracy republicans" that Hillary and many leftists claim are out to get them are not really as bad as Hillary claims?

There's a big difference between an actual scandal and throwing everything you can think of at someone hoping it'll stick.

• Fire 2

Sorry, but in the current system and situation, most people shouldn't be going to college. Sending kids there is starting them way behind in life.
You're just wrong. I gave you a link that shows you are more likely to earn more with a degree. You're pimping something that hasn't even payed off for you in the manner you claim it will. If we're going anecdotal; I'll submit to you that most people I know leave college with 20k in debt after one degree. It's debt, but a manageable amount that can be paid down in 4 or 5 years easy. How is that not a good investment when they will earn more with that degree than withou?

Yes kids need to make smarter choices in cost of education and their feild of study. But to say a majority should not recieve some post secondary education is insane!

• Fire 3