Well, Pelini haters...

Jesus guys. We had two players in great position on the guy who caught the ball. They had him boxed out of the end zone (initially) and they both were able to make plays on the ball. We had more than enough players covering the receivers behind him, and one player who appears to have gotten lost. Most Hail Mary "miracles" are the result of tipped balls going unexpected places. That's why you get the end zone overkill. And the real point of the analysis is that one or more of those extra bodies should have been rushing the quarterback. Although the Hail Mary defense we used is pretty standard, so you could get roasted for not running it.

Obviously Nebraska got outplayed on the play, but BYU deserves more credit than our young defense deserves blame. "Standing around watching the other team beat you" is just stupid and harsh.

(Also, tall guys tend to have long arms. It's not strictly a vertical issue. )

I was all bent out of shape about how out of position a couple guys were, but then I saw this image.

55eb80fba0995.image.jpg?resize=300%2C418

This image shows just how close it was. Just looking at the image you don't know who has the advantage here. What happens if he jumps a split second later or earlier? What happens if QB throws it a bit later? Or Earlier? I mean, the window to make the catch that he did is minuscule. Could we have played it better? Yes, we can always play each play better, but sometimes the game just comes down to perfect timing, and a great play by a single individual. Game of inches, and as we Husker fans know all too well, game of seconds (specifically 0:01).

Thanks for posting. Two Nebraska players clearly not just standing there watching the other team win.

Also, that tall BYU receiver is about to catch the ball with his slightly longer arms before pulling it into his breadbasket.

The real blown play came two plays earlier, when our coverage held, Mangum had to scramble and it seemed like we had tons of time to react, but no one could get to him before he picked up 10 yards.

If he picked up only 9 yards, the clock kept running and Nebraska probably wins.

And you, know, any play that gets the Nebraska offense a first down on its last possession.

Football. What can you say?

Glad to see Pelini go, they were only beating the easy schools and better ones were killing them, he was there long enough to get it going but didn't.

Now can someone please go tell the new coach before he makes a call like rushing 3 people when a qb has to throw 45 yards for hm to get a fricken clue, after that blunder i'm wondering why they got this guy, was that just a brain fart or did he mean to give that guy enough time to let people run 40 yards down field before he made a clear and unhurried throw.

Glad to see Pelini go, they were only beating the easy schools and better ones were killing them, he was there long enough to get it going but didn't.

Now can someone please go tell the new coach before he makes a call like rushing 3 people when a qb has to throw 45 yards for hm to get a fricken clue, after that blunder i'm wondering why they got this guy, was that just a brain fart or did he mean to give that guy enough time to let people run 40 yards down field before he made a clear and unhurried throw.

He wanted to give him more time by rushing only 1, but he forgot to tell the team in the huddle. DUH! :ahhhhhhhh

The real blown play came two plays earlier, when our coverage held, Mangum had to scramble and it seemed like we had tons of time to react, but no one could get to him before he picked up 10 yards.

If he picked up only 9 yards, the clock kept running and Nebraska probably wins.

Funny.... he did only pick up 9. You can see it on replay where he falls short and slides, and the ref gives him the first anyway.

God...I still blame Gangwash for that. I know I know...but I do

Didn't he get hurt on this play? I mean, it's hard to keep rushing hard when you are lying on the ground in pain. That's where the other four pass rushers need to pick it up a notch...oh, wait...

Yep...he got hurt. He spun inside and got lit up.

Should have never spun inside anyway. Supposed to keep contain to keep QB in pocket. You NEVER want QB to escape when that defense is called in that situation.

You can't tell me they weren't told that. Riley has been preaching it all week.

I'm gunna say this again. And every time it gets brought up.

Gangwish spun inside ONLY because of the BYU RB who came up to double Gangwish, hooked him. Contain was broken the instant the BYU engaged on Gangwish. It wasn't anything Gangwish did that ensured the hail mary. It was the protection design by BYU.

It's 11:30 on Week 2 Saturday and we're still talking about this. Good effing grief.

• Fire 1

They just needed one of their notably taller receivers to get the jump ball over a scrum of shorter defenders.

This is how urban legends get started...

Just to repeat what has already been said, go find a picture of that catch and see how low that ball actually was when caught. A defender wouldn't have had to jump or hardly reach above his head to knock it down or intercept it. The guy jumped, but he caught it at the level of his crotch.

There's a whole lot of urban legends out there that have some how now become the truth.

Speaking of urban, or Saban, iirc, they both took over Blue blood programs that were pretty bad at the time and they both had great success within their first 2 years. Now I could be mis remembering, but.....

Think this is more of an indictment of just how far this program has slipped into being sub-par. Sad part is Riley isn't going to be the next Osborne. He is the opposite of Bo, nice guy, funny, at ease with media. I just think that all that time in Corvallis made him at ease with losing and being mediocre.

What in the heck do you have to base this on?

I have watched Riley for several years (since his time in San Diego), he was exalted as the next great Chargers Coach, the same things said about him today (the preseason) are the same ones said back then. he left the Chargers (fired I believe or just quit as I don't remember which) after three seasons and losing record but the fans were more than ready to run him out of town. in his three seasons (1999 - 2001) there his record was 8-8; 1-15; and 5-11. About the same as his career at OR St. So, what makes you think he is going to take NU to a conference championship win? He does win the nicest coach award. maybe he makes me and his own history a liar, I am ok with that as I want NU to win!!

Just for the argument, SD had tons more resources then OR St, and still he never had a winning record. I have seen (and so have you) really good coaches win consistently at smaller/less funded programs.

1) You can't make a comparison of resources between the NFL and the NCAA.

2) I don't know if you're forgetting that lesser funded/smaller programs tend to also play other lesser funded/smaller programs. I get your point, but I just want to bring light to that. It should give you an indication of how a coach fares against like competition, but Riley's record isn't a product of winning slightly over 50% of his games against like competition. There's greater disparity in capacity between each of the schools in the P5 than against other conferences, and Riley was on the lower end of that spectrum in the Pac 10/2 in his career.

They just needed one of their notably taller receivers to get the jump ball over a scrum of shorter defenders.

Just to repeat what has already been said, go find a picture of that catch and see how low that ball actually was when caught. A defender wouldn't have had to jump or hardly reach above his head to knock it down or intercept it. The guy jumped, but he caught it at the level of his crotch.

Now I could be mis remembering

You are.

There's a whole lot of urban legends out there that have some how now become the truth.

Speaking of urban, or Saban, iirc, they both took over Blue blood programs that were pretty bad at the time and they both had great success within their first 2 years. Now I could be mis remembering, but.....

Riley has had 1 game.

Saban was 7-6 in year 1.

Riley has had 1 game.

Saban was 7-6 in year 1.

And how was his second year? I'd like you or itsnotafakeid to tell me how I was wrong.