Hands to the face penalty

donesman

Give me a break - the officiating had nothing to do with it. The team played well in stretches, but could not beat a BYU team that was decimated with injurues to key players on both sides of the ball. It never should have come down to that final play, but sometimes you win those (like against Northwestern a while back), and sometimes you don't.

The officiating had nothing to do with it? That one single call, the hands to the face penalty, led to a BYU touchdown. What was the final score again?

• Fire 2

Give me a break - the officiating had nothing to do with it. The team played well in stretches, but could not beat a BYU team that was decimated with injurues to key players on both sides of the ball. It never should have come down to that final play, but sometimes you win those (like against Northwestern a while back), and sometimes you don't.

Sounds like our team.

Trying to Pound a square peg into a round hole offensively for the majority of the game had a much bigger impact on the outcome than the officiating.

Let's act like we haven't been aware of the conference officiating before yesterday being interesting to day the least. NU got away with far more holds IMO, so let's not go with the ref card in this loss.

I was more pissed about the a-hole diving at Sutton's knee, and not getting flagged. It was outright dirty.

That was beyond dirty. He literally took 3 steps and then dove at his knee. As for the illegal hands to the face, the video clearly shows that 55(Williams) clearly had his facemask pushed up into the air, and Williams did NOT touch the other guys helmet at all even though he couldn't see. Truly a BS call by our own idiot refs. They didn't even know what is considered a legal and illegal block and tried to flag us for one later in the game until a ref that could actually read a rule book told them it was legal. That proves to me we have morons refing the game right there.

"That proves to me we have morons refing the game right there." Or were they perhaps "mormons"?

Well I will play the ref card.

That hit on Sutton should've been an ejection and 15 yards. Period.

Also, this play is egregious to the point that there should be an investigation or an explanation of how exactly this happened:

ff0MQm.gif

This is the so called "hands to the face" on #55 Maurice. Never once, does Maurice's hands even move up to the offensive linemens face. The real issue is, this penalty is called correctly the first time. The offensive linemen was the one at fault, clearly BYU offensive linemen #78 shoved his hands up under #55's facemask. You can see the referee in the middle of the field looking directly at the play. It's a blatant penalty and an easy call. The referee calls the penalty on the BYU offense, but he says #55 for whatever reason. It was clearly #78 of the offense. What happened in translation here to have this penalty reversed in a matter of seconds and cost Nebraska a Touchdown instead of moving BYU backwards, is a mystery and a HUGE error on the referee's part.

The fact that two officials could not see that the DB was taking a dive at Sutton's knee is baffling. There needs to be an explanation given by the conference.

The hands to the face should have been off setting if anything. The OL clearly has his right hand on his face mask twice! Maurice gets his hands up there at the end.

Unbelievable misses by the officials!

The fact that two officials could not see that the DB was taking a dive at Sutton's knee is baffling. There needs to be an explanation given by the conference.

The hands to the face should have been off setting if anything. The OL clearly has his right hand on his face mask twice! Maurice gets his hands up there at the end.

Unbelievable misses by the officials!

Two refs 10 yards away staring right at the play. They should be suspended immediately then replaced. There's no place in college ball for incompetency of this magnitude.

Finally got around to watching the replay. I think this was the "right" call, they just missed the part that it should have been called on both players. You can't see Maurice's hands from this view but you can see the BYU lineman's head back and to the right which is what the Umpire sees. The hand in Maurice's face is on the back side from the Umpire's view.

Pth408.jpg

Finally got around to watching the replay. I think this was the "right" call, they just missed the part that it should have been called on both players. You can't see Maurice's hands from this view but you can see the BYU lineman's head back and to the right which is what the Umpire sees. The hand in Maurice's face is on the back side from the Umpire's view.

Pth408.jpg

Great screen grab. And yes...it should have been called on both players, offsetting penalties to replay the down and take the points off the board.