Nebraska's Rushing Attack for 2015

Enhance

Nebraska's 2015 Rushing Attack  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's no secret - a lot of Husker fans enjoy the rushing attack, myself included. But, with a new style of offense, an inconsistent o-line, no elite running back and a tendency to use screen passes, what will Nebraska's rushing stats look like by the end of 2015?

As I posted in another thread, I'll be genuinely surprised if we have a single running back rush for for 100 yards more than 4-5 times in the season. I just don't see enough carries to go around or a guy that's going to be consistent enough week-to-week.

I would assume a single running back should gain at least 100 yards against South Alabama, Southern Miss, Illinois, Purdue, and Rutgers. Miami could be another game where we surpass that mark. We will have to see how the coaching staff addresses establishing the run over the course of the next few games. I think Wilbon and Cross looked better than Newby last week. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilbon makes a case to be the starter at some point this season. I would love to see what Taylor could bring to the table as well.

Somebody will emerge as the featured running back. I'm thinking Wilbon right now, but if that drives Newby, all the better.

Nothing wrong with fresh bodies bringing different running styles. For awhile, at least.

We ran the ball 37 times last week -- and a bunch of those RB screens everyone has been clamoring for -- so I don't think the running backs are being overlooked in the scheme.

The 1999 Huskers had Eric Crouch, Correll Buckhalter, Dan Alexander and Dahrran Deidrick, and none of them broke 900 yards for the season. None of them were elite coming in, but they had a good ground game. Like 3,500 yards for the season. 2014 we had 3,100. If we can average 150 a game, that means the running game is still effective.

As mentioned in another thread, we need to take into account the screen pass to RB's. Which is used a lot in this offense. It's basically a running play that gets counted in the pass column.

I think I mentioned this once in another thread, as well.

The interesting thing is the majority of the times we used screens against BYU we were in 2nd and Long or 3rd and Long situations when the team was in a bad spot. That's not something even I expected to hear, though, I wasn't playing super close attention to the situations we were using screens.

Run the ball, win the game. What recent teams have won the MNC without a legitimate rushing attack. Not saying we can't develop one, but Riley's history does not lead me to believe the rushing attack will be the cornerstone of the offense......

Yup. Agree.

I'm not saying Georgia Tech will win a title but they put up 69 points last week, and scored 44 today so far through 2 and a half quarters.

730 yards rushing in that time frame too. Don't think they'll get to 1000 before the end of the game, but ya never know.

Run the ball, win the game. What recent teams have won the MNC without a legitimate rushing attack. Not saying we can't develop one, but Riley's history does not lead me to believe the rushing attack will be the cornerstone of the offense......

This isn't really accurate.

http://hailvarsity.com/news/analysis/mike-rileys-run-pass-splits/2015/02/

As evidenced by this graphic, from 2003-to-2014, he had seven seasons where the run/pass ratio was almost dead on 50/50, give or take a couple percentages. He also had one season where he passed only 44 percent of the time and another where he passed 63 percent of the time.

To me, this show cases a clear understanding of what he has to work to with and calling plays to supplement those strengths. The reason they likely aren't running the ball a ton right now is because there's no elite back and o-line was pretty inconsistent in week one. I don't think it has anything to do with him heavily favoring the pass, because his recent history says he's pretty balanced and even at times favors the run.