Do we lack a home run threat?

lo country

I think we get quite a few 20 to 35 yard gains and I call those 'big' plays. We don't need to get 80 yard plays although I think we have the receivers who can actually go that distance. Reilly has excellent deep threat speed. DPE does too. Westercamp can score from 50 or so and some of the others as well. I believe Wilbon has at least the same speed as Ameer and Newby is certainly comparable to Ameer and good for 30 to 40 yards out. Our receivers will start breaking some of the short pass catches and turn them into bigger plays as well. Give them time. We are only two games in but the offense is showing signs of being able to make a TD drive starting at our own 12, etc. Those long drives are tough. We have not had good field position for a large portion of these first two games, not the fault of the offense. But, we will get some big plays I think. Be patient.

DPE is the homerun take it the distance threat we are missing right now. Moore looks much improved to me and I like Morgan as well. If we can gain good chunks of yardage with Westy and Hovey I'll take that. Also would like to see Turner make a big play or be a threat. He seems out of rhythm right now. TE is hurting right now too. Homerun threats often happen because there are threats elsewhere on the field.

• Fire 1

NO! NO! NO! NO!

I was telling the announcer, through my television screen, to just shut the hell up.

Anybody watching Nebraska the last few years knows that we have lived off the threat of the home run. We've done nothing the last three years but feed the rock to Ameer, and then "scare" everybody with the deep ball, just to back them off so we could feed it to Ameer some more.

To hell with living like that.

If there's on thing, as a Husker fan, I've wanted to see the last few years, more than anything in the world, it was Nebraska stringing together long drives. Multiple plays, time chewing, successful marches down the field. Not a chance in hell I'll have some dumbass announcer tell me that stringing together long drives is a bad thing.

I realize this is So. Alabama, but if we can string these kind of drives together, take some pressure off our defense, then we are going to find the promised land.

Seriously, to hell with what that announcer was saying. It was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. You don't EVER complain about an offense that strings together drives. When we want to hit the home run, we will. Alonzo Moore, Jordan Westerkamp, Brandon Reilly, and Tommy Armstrong will make sure of that.

Yes, yes and yes.

I think we get quite a few 20 to 35 yard gains and I call those 'big' plays. We don't need to get 80 yard plays although I think we have the receivers who can actually go that distance. Reilly has excellent deep threat speed. DPE does too. Westercamp can score from 50 or so and some of the others as well. I believe Wilbon has at least the same speed as Ameer and Newby is certainly comparable to Ameer and good for 30 to 40 yards out. Our receivers will start breaking some of the short pass catches and turn them into bigger plays as well. Give them time. We are only two games in but the offense is showing signs of being able to make a TD drive starting at our own 12, etc. Those long drives are tough. We have not had good field position for a large portion of these first two games, not the fault of the offense. But, we will get some big plays I think. Be patient.

I agree, especially when it comes to Wilbon, cuz that kid looks to have some skills (so does Newby). The only thing I don't necessarily agree with is that Reilly will be a threat with the long ball over DPE and Morgan. That said, we know B. Reilly gets plenty of yards his own way

Our only home run threat right now is a streak to westy off a play action fake. Which isn't a bad thing. A far as having one athlete with explosiveness to break one free at any moment.. That we do not have. And for the ones saying it is better to have long drawn out drives as opposed to busting one loose; you are dumb. Of course you want to chew clock but if your rb gets into open field and can't make a guy miss... At least once. Then that's no bueno.

The very first play when NU was on offense, Langsdorf called a deep play action pass to Reilly. It was covered and TA made a smart decision to throw it away. Would you guys honestly would have been "mad" that NU hit a big play there?

I just don't get the idea of not wanting big plays.

I don't even understand this.

• Fire 1

If you don't think we need a home run threat, you are freaking crazy. Yes, Beck was "boom or bust", but the best offenses, year in and year out are ones that can produce big plays. If you have to take 10-12 plays to move down the field and score, that is more plays to "screw up" and not score. Stop acting like we don't want "big plays".

And stop acting like we couldn't do that if we wanted to, cause we could! We needed a game to gain confidence, get into a rhythm and get reps in, simple as that. We need to gel as a team on the field and nevermind all the injuries we have right now. Armstrong could've hit Westy on a long bomb at any second if we wanted to, you kidding yourself if you don't know that.

The very first play when NU was on offense, Langsdorf called a deep play action pass to Reilly. It was covered and TA made a smart decision to throw it away. Would you guys honestly would have been "mad" that NU hit a big play there?

I just don't get the idea of not wanting big plays.

I don't even understand this.

Have a bong hit then try it again ;)

Watching the game, the announcers continually talk about how our drives were solid, but they came in short runs or passes and were not ripping off huge yards. Continued to wonder if it was by design or the lack of deep threat guys. Never really thought about it until they harped on it. They said we appear to be predicated on the RB getting some blocks or the receivers getting some other guys blocking down field.

IMO, it appeared to be by design. I think TA has the arm to crank one deep and receivers in Moore, Morgan and Reilly who have the speed to go deep. Newby flashed some stuff that shows he could take it to the house. I think we have the players and play calling, but haven't shown in yet.

Thoughts?

We have one, he'll be back by week 6-8