Coaching or Talent - which is more responsible

This should go without mention, but Newby, 14 carries for 82 yards--that's 5.9 YPC. Armstrong, excluding that dreadful 20 yard loss, had 10 rushes for 69 yards--that's 6.9 YPC. We couldn't commit to the run because we were never in a position to where we commit to it. The game required a lot of passing, and so we did.

I swear some of us would be happy losing by 20 if we ran the ball the entire game.

Riley can listen to people telling him to run, but no amount of listening is going to make this O Line a throwback to The Pipeline of legend. We can't just impose our will on the defense with this line.

Then it might be too early to throw the word "upgrade" around broadly on all the assistant coaches......in this case Cavanaugh.

It's coaching. All day it's coaching. Tommy throws off his back foot and can't make it past his first read.

We had Miami tired, you need to piss pound the run with Cross. Fundamentals aren't there.

This is funny. Yeah, I'm sure the coaches are telling him to throw off his back foot and to not go past his first read. Must be coaching. Lol.

It isn't coaching now, but it was before? Got it.

Please find and link where I ever once said that coaching was the problem with our quarterback play. Really just one. Hint, it never happened.

At least you got a few plus ones out of it. I guess there are at least 3 people other than you that don't know jack sh#t.

So to join your little f#cked up club of Riley haters, what does a guy have to do? Just wait for anything to go wrong and then blame the coach? Got it. Is it fun? Doesn't seem like it would be that much fun to me. I could be wrong, plenty of you seem to be sporting wood over it. Have fun.

• Fire 1

This should go without mention, but Newby, 14 carries for 82 yards--that's 5.9 YPC. Armstrong, excluding that dreadful 20 yard loss, had 10 rushes for 69 yards--that's 6.9 YPC. We couldn't commit to the run because we were never in a position to where we commit to it. The game required a lot of passing, and so we did.

I swear some of us would be happy losing by 20 if we ran the ball the entire game.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. We gained four yards on the first play of the game. Then threw two incomplete passes and punted. The next time we got the ball back we went run for 5, pass for 4, run for 5, run for 10, incomplete pass, run for 1, in complete pass. It's not like the run wasn't working. We just kept deciding to pass.

If you move the sacks to the passing stats (like the NFL does), we had 30 runs for 176 yards (5.9 yards per play) and we had 47 passing plays for 286 yards (6.1 yards per play). Now, a good chunk of TA's rushing yards came on called passing plays but it's not like we were that much more effective passing the ball than running. When you factor in the interceptions, you could say we were more effective running the ball. We just chose to pass.

Starting with the last first down of each possession, our first four possessions went:

Run for 4, Incomplete pass, incomplete pass

Incomplete pass, run for 1 yard, incomplete pass

Run for 3, penalty, pass for 8, run for 1

Penalty, pass for 0, pass for 14, sack on 3rd and 1

That early in the game, we were by no means forced into passing. But twice we passes on two out of three plays and once got sacked on third and 1. We didn't make much of an attempt to commit to the run. That's not what Langsdorf does.

Riley can listen to people telling him to run, but no amount of listening is going to make this O Line a throwback to The Pipeline of legend. We can't just impose our will on the defense with this line.

Then it might be too early to throw the word "upgrade" around broadly on all the assistant coaches......in this case Cavanaugh.
Yeah, because our O line imposed it's will for the last 7 years so this year shouldn't be any different. Amirite? Nary a f#cking word about the previous staff not having an OL worth a sh#t for 7 years but now all of a sudden 3 games into a new regime it's just a coaching problem. Seems legit.
  • Fire 1

Do you want to run down by 17 points? Running didn't dig Nebraska out of the 23-point hole, passing did.

Tommie's yards per carry was actually slightly higher than his yards per passing attempt. (6.9 vs. 6.86) Take the 20 yard sack out of his running stats and add that to his passing stats and it seems Nebraska is a better team with Armstrong running than passing, as far as yards per attempt.

Newby, Cross, and Frazier combined had zero turnovers in the running game.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. We gained four yards on the first play of the game. Then threw two incomplete passes and punted. The next time we got the ball back we went run for 5, pass for 4, run for 5, run for 10, incomplete pass, run for 1, in complete pass. It's not like the run wasn't working. We just kept deciding to pass.

This. Our first series.....run, incomplete, incomplete, punt. It's coaching philosophy........

Yeah, because our O line imposed it's will for the last 7 years so this year shouldn't be any different. Amirite? Nary a f#cking word about the previous staff not having an OL worth a sh#t for 7 years but now all of a sudden 3 games into a new regime it's just a coaching problem. Seems legit.

Our running was productive under Pelini.

Kind of tough to establish the run when you start off 3 scores down and your O line couldn't push a Volkswagen beetle downhill.

I do agree though that this staff may not be as committed to establishing the run and that is concerning. Plus, I really don't care for the type of running they seem to like. Already tired of that jet sweep look. That might work if you've got faster guys than the other team. So far that hasn't been the case. Seems like an awfully remedial rushing playbook for a place like Nebraska.

This. Our first series.....run, incomplete, incomplete, punt. It's coaching philosophy........
run. Drop. Drop.

Huge difference between player mistake and coach mistake. And when you end up making pressure cooker catches under heat like these guys did in the fourth, it leaves less room for excuse.

• Fire 1

Kind of tough to establish the run when you start off 3 scores down and your O line couldn't push a Volkswagen beetle downhill.

I do agree though that this staff may not be as committed to establishing the run and that is concerning. Plus, I really don't care for the type of running they seem to like. Already tired of that jet sweep look. That might work if you've got faster guys than the other team. So far that hasn't been the case. Seems like an awfully remedial rushing playbook for a place like Nebraska.

I'd agree. Mavric did a recap in another thread.......our first series set the tone for me......5 yard run, incomplete, incomplete, punt. That's just not the style of football I believe will get us to the next level.

Some great points ITT.

Knapp, never fully dawned on me Bo just continued running a spread/pass-first defense in a conference where all the big dogs focus on power run game. How asinine.

Since lots of folks refer to Davie as who was SUPPOSED to be our best cover guy, I'd bet the coaches have the same perception. And have since they got here. It's probably a reputation he's earned as an experienced senior, and I don't fault the coaches for giving him a shot over some of the less experienced guys. But it's clear he's struggling and it was good for the team he was benched. Hopefully it lights a fire underneath him and he bounces back.

DL got killed today. Pushed around all night, no pass rush. Did we finish with one sack? Aren't many schemes where that's the case that make the secondary look too good. No VV, Collins nonexistent, McMullen floundering... Freedom was our best DL today.

As far as I'm concerned, talent (and scheme fit) is to blame. I've already decided I'll give Riley the whole year before I judge. Surprised so many are ready to jump ship after three games. The coaches are doing what they can with the scraps Bo left behind.

As for other points ITT:

Bo beat Miami at home with Ameer, RG, and KB in year 7 of his tenure. Can't even believe that was brought up...

FAU lost by 24 to Miami at home by a coach in his second year. I don't care if they ran well or not, they lost by 24.