No matter what... (Go ahead and the flamethrowers out)

walksalone

We have to remember these are still Pelini's recruits. The coaches are still getting to know these guys that they did not spend an extra year or two recruiting. To me this year we have looked identical to the last couple seasons. We just don;t have to watch Pelini blow up on the players and refs.

Also, Al Golden freaking out on the refs had a lot to do with the NU come back. It reminded me of Pelini going off. You could tell the refs had enough. It was nice to be on the otherside of that coin.

We have to remember these are still Pelini's recruits. The coaches are still getting to know these guys that they did not spend an extra year or two recruiting. To me this year we have looked identical to the last couple seasons. We just don;t have to watch Pelini blow up on the players and refs.

Also, Al Golden freaking out on the refs had a lot to do with the NU come back. It reminded me of Pelini going off. You could tell the refs had enough. It was nice to be on the otherside of that coin.

Agreed. Riley is completely different from Pelini and it will take time to change the whole culture.

Agreed. Riley is completely different from Pelini and it will take time to change the whole culture.

I know you guys hate Pelini, and are awaiting for MR to change the culture, but how much is it going to change when the best the guy could do was win the "Sun" Bowl...

Folks said with talent Riley and Co (myself included) should be worth 1-2 more wins with their experience. 3 games in, I was duped.

I know you made this post a couple hours after the game, so I'm factoring that in...but I don't think you've been duped yet.

Because these non-con games don't really matter in the big scheme of what we're really capable of doing. We're still capable of winning a conference title. Does it suck that we're 1-2? Of course. But I'd have much rather played two challenging opponents (by anybody's standards) that will get us serious about conference play and lost than playing three South Alabamas and getting shocked when conference play starts.

Nobody's been "Cally duped" yet. Not at all.

If Hill doesn't go down against us, BYU is undefeated and ranked close to top 10. Watching the Miami players run circles around us had me wondering when one broke down position groups who would actually take what group from Nebraska? If we break the offense down to RBs, QB, WRs, and OL; who after watching that game saw more talent on our side in which group? Defense is the same with DL, LBs, and secondary. I wouldn't give Miami the edge in every group in terms of talent, but I'd have to say they were more talented in more groups than we were. Miami has more talent. They have an idiot for a coach, but that's for another discussion. My wife and I were talking about Chip Kelly the other day. I told her I'd be willing to bet we see him on a college sideline next year either at Miami or at Texas once the full implosion of the Eagles hits.

My only problem thus far with Banker's defense is the man to man in the secondary. I totally get his philosophy here, but in order to make it work we must have a pass rush. With nonexistent LB play, it is going to be nearly impossible for the front four to take on five OL to get much pass rush. We're three games into the season, and it doesn't appear we're going to get any pass rush. Thus, he needs to change his philosophy of the man on an island approach with regards to the secondary.

Here's my issue with Riley ----------- Mark Banker. Hank Hughs. Brian Stewart.

Be honest, you have more issues than that with Riley.

Mmmm, I mean do I think he'll win a championship? No, but he stands on the sideline during the games in a pretty professional manner. The refs don't seem to be scared of him. Did I want a different hire? Yes, but I have to give him a shot for at least a couple years. Until then, he can do himself some service getting rid of these three guys.

If you have to give Riley a shot for at least a couple years, why don't you....you know....give him a shot for at least a couple years.

When you go after his professional sideline manner and unwillingness to frighten the refs, you kinda tip your hand.

The avatar, too.

And all your previous posts.

If Hill doesn't go down against us, BYU is undefeated and ranked close to top 10. Watching the Miami players run circles around us had me wondering when one broke down position groups who would actually take what group from Nebraska? If we break the offense down to RBs, QB, WRs, and OL; who after watching that game saw more talent on our side in which group? Defense is the same with DL, LBs, and secondary. I wouldn't give Miami the edge in every group in terms of talent, but I'd have to say they were more talented in more groups than we were. Miami has more talent. They have an idiot for a coach, but that's for another discussion. My wife and I were talking about Chip Kelly the other day. I told her I'd be willing to bet we see him on a college sideline next year either at Miami or at Texas once the full implosion of the Eagles hits.

My only problem thus far with Banker's defense is the man to man in the secondary. I totally get his philosophy here, but in order to make it work we must have a pass rush. With nonexistent LB play, it is going to be nearly impossible for the front four to take on five OL to get much pass rush. We're three games into the season, and it doesn't appear we're going to get any pass rush. Thus, he needs to change his philosophy of the man on an island approach with regards to the secondary.

This d-line is pretty rough. I was excited by Collin's after spring/fall but I think that domination is more reflective of our OL than of his abilities. No sacks by those guys in 3 games? And it's not like they are lined up 2 yards off the ball playing patty-cake which Pelini used to employ...they are making a push, just not having any impact. So I don't think it's scheme up front, it's lack of talent.

And w/ the secondary - they aren't very physical up front. I don't see em stick a receiver, or try to push them off their route ever. That was something I always respected about Pelini's secondary - they were physical at the snap. That is just as effective as a pass rush IMO. But if you have neither? Yikes.