No matter what... (Go ahead and the flamethrowers out)

walksalone

I agree with much of what the OP says. We knew what we had with Pelini. The defense was ugly. The offense would mind boggle at times.

The jury is out on Riley and it should be...we are only 3 games in. I had Miami winning this game 34-30 in a close game throughout with two passionate teams (much like last year's game). What I did not expect was to not even show up for 3 quarters...as the OP says we have no fire and confidence...this is what I did not expect and has me the most concerned. We are out there dropping passes, shanking punts, getting torched on D, slow D Line with no desire or ability (not sure which it is) to get to the QB...in general the majority of the team seemed intimidated by Miami and could not match Miami's speed and physicality. Props to TA for fighting the whole game with no OL, Westy as well, and Morgan was out there giving good effort. On defense, who are you guys? This IS NEBRASKA!

Here's my issue with Riley ----------- Mark Banker. Hank Hughs. Brian Stewart.

Be honest, you have more issues than that with Riley.

Mmmm, I mean do I think he'll win a championship? No, but he stands on the sideline during the games in a pretty professional manner. The refs don't seem to be scared of him. Did I want a different hire? Yes, but I have to give him a shot for at least a couple years. Until then, he can do himself some service getting rid of these three guys.

At least you're more levelheaded and less kneejerk than most of the anti-Riley crowd.

But how can you say you're going to give Riley a year or two but not even give his defensive coaches one season?

Mmmm, I mean do I think he'll win a championship? No, but he stands on the sideline during the games in a pretty professional manner. The refs don't seem to be scared of him. Did I want a different hire? Yes, but I have to give him a shot for at least a couple years. Until then, he can do himself some service getting rid of these three guys.

Don't forget Read. I'm not impressed with him, either.

We can't keep getting beat on the pass plays early in the games, and keep asking our offense to come back.

We played better, not great in the second half against the shorter passes, but we can't have Davie back there, getting the defense playing with their backs to the wall, so early in the games. Miami the announcers us fans, knew right from the get go, who they were going to throw on.

I can't believe we don't have anyone better on the sideline. Davie is doing his best, but he is over his head back there.

This team has no quit in them. The coaches need to figure when to pull a player getting beat, that early in a game, that often for three straight games. Should not have to score 30+ pts just to have a chance.

Time to get ready for next week. I haven't given up on this team. They have to much heart.

GBR!!!

Let's see how we look in conference play. To say this team team doesn't play with any fire is ridiculous. A team without fire would have laid down and let BYU and Miami beat us by 20+. We didn't, we played with fire and enough confidence to bring us back and make it a game. Am I upset? Absolutely, but I still think we are in a better position than we were under Bo. Under Bo, we would have had a guy who was too stubborn to give up and leave the team, but not good enough to get us over the hump of 9 wins and no conference championships. He showed he couldn't get over the hump to do anything of significance. As for Mike Riley, are we going to win a national championship under him? No, most likely not, especially if he keeps Banker as his defensive coordinator. But, he hasn't suffered any blow out losses yet. Something we saw under Bo's tenure.

So as far as that goes, we are in better shape under Mike Riley. But as you said, we were in bad shape either way. This team doesn't have the talent to be a top 15 competitor as we all want. Seriously, look at the seniors on this team. It's not a talented group. I think Mike Riley will keep this team competitive in games, maybe give us a chance in the Big 10 (Hey, look at Wisconsin a couple years ago, they won the Big 10 championship with a 8-5 record). So we were in bad shape either way, Bo wasn't going to get us over the hump, and an up and coming coach wasn't going to come to a program that fired a coach after a 9 win season. So we got Mike, someone who I think will avoid blowouts, and show that Nebraska can still compete with teams, and all it takes is a great mind to get us over the hump. I'm sorry, but I was sick of the humiliating losses to Wisconsin to stand another year of Bo. For all I know this is complete gibberish, I'm drunk after binge drinking since halftime. The point is, I agree with the OP. Mike Riley isn't the guy to lead us to the promised land. But he's better than Bo.

• Fire 1

0 energy by the team on the road. Half filled stadium, great weather. Guessing 1/4 of the fans wete Husker. Come out flat. Pelini taught these kids not to quit and I think that's all that kept us in it. I'll start a thread later about it but our fan base is screwed. Osborne went with the Ru. Because there would be days the passes werent caught, throws weren't made, weather didn't cooperate. Passes were not caught today. Bottom line. Have to form a team around the ru. Game. Period. Our fans want to live in the glory days and won't give anyone who was a part of those times a chance to rebuild Nebraska. Alvarez as AC, Frost Gill or Wyomings coach as HC. I would have kept solich. The dink and dunk offense doesn't work for us. If we have to have Tom Bradheveth year good luck. It will take Frost stomping our as two years from now to realize our mistake. Shout out to the boys for fighting til the end today. Riley won't work our, Cosgrove esque defense, dink N dunk bs that wont work. Won't beat a team with a pulse. This is my last post here.bhire Alvarez frost while there is time pc out yo

At least you're more levelheaded and less kneejerk than most of the anti-Riley crowd.

But how can you say you're going to give Riley a year or two but not even give his defensive coaches one season?

Oh man, when you have Oregon State fans feeling sorry for you when you have Banker as your DC, you know you have problems. But really all you have to do is look at Banker's resume to know he shouldn't be DC... at least at Nebraska.

Yes it sucks there are 2 L's in the loss column. But come on, look at how these two games ended? A desperation heave from midfield and the other in overtime. The sky is not falling.

This assumes that you played as well as could reasonably be expected to get to both those points.

No, the sky is not falling. But to point out that both games were close at the end falls well short of telling the story.

We have a .504 coach who brought his guys in. Talent at NU kept us close at the end. The .504 historical track record didn't get us the win.

Folks said with talent Riley and Co (myself included) should be worth 1-2 more wins with their experience. 3 games in, I was duped. The talent at NU will keep games close, but the .504 track record is what it is. I do not think with the current staff, we will get back to the promised land. Respectable losses is not what I, the fans or the team is seeking.

I listened last week about "we could have adjusted to help Davie out" after allowing 8 catches on 11 tries by USA. I felt good about this. Ok, they have a scheme to adjust to that will help. These guys are experienced. Hell no. You saw the adjustment tonight. It was to pull Davie. That's not scheme, that's not an adjustment. It meant they had no answer to help as Bankers D is what it is. Only after benching Davie (and Al being Al) did NU start to come back.

The whole, I will use what I have comment was BS as well. 3 games in and even the announcers wondered of our O identity. When Riley was asked, he didn't know. When you don't use the legs of the teams returning lead rusher, that's a problem. TA got us back in that game with his legs. Langs refuses to acknowledge this and let him run. Same complaint with Beck. Trying to run a scheme you know nothing about and learning on the fly. Thats great at some FCS school, but not at NU.

3 games in, looks like Cally 2.0 and that sucks.....

• Fire 5

Yes it sucks there are 2 L's in the loss column. But come on, look at how these two games ended? A desperation heave from midfield and the other in overtime. The sky is not falling.

I think you must have only watched the 4th quarter. This game was atrocious. I was in disbelief in the 4th quarter that we would be able to even come back to tie it. We played that poorly.

Oh man, when you have Oregon State fans feeling sorry for you when you have Banker as your DC, you know you have problems. But really all you have to do is look at Banker's resume to know he shouldn't be DC... at least at Nebraska.

This. If Banker and his buddies are so good, why wasn't OSU more competitive?

I agree with you, I can live with Riley and his offensive staff, i see improvement ahead, but that D tho...I was suspicious from day 1 of what they could do. And where are the D line recruits??? Hey there is no long term fix there. I'll give Riley a pass until he let's POB loose to run his offense, then I will judge the offensive coaching staff.

0 energy by the team on the road. Half filled stadium, great weather. Guessing 1/4 of the fans wete Husker. Come out flat. Pelini taught these kids not to quit and I think that's all that kept us in it. I'll start a thread later about it but our fan base is screwed. Osborne went with the Ru. Because there would be days the passes werent caught, throws weren't made, weather didn't cooperate. Passes were not caught today. Bottom line. Have to form a team around the ru. Game. Period. Our fans want to live in the glory days and won't give anyone who was a part of those times a chance to rebuild Nebraska. Alvarez as AC, Frost Gill or Wyomings coach as HC. I would have kept solich. The dink and dunk offense doesn't work for us. If we have to have Tom Bradheveth year good luck. It will take Frost stomping our as two years from now to realize our mistake. Shout out to the boys for fighting til the end today. Riley won't work our, Cosgrove esque defense, dink N dunk bs that wont work. Won't beat a team with a pulse. This is my last post here.bhire Alvarez frost while there is time pc out yo

man sometimes I miss weed