What Did We Learn: Miami Edition

Hammerhead

As thrilling as that comeback was, that's not the way we should win (or attempt to win) football games. Nebraska needs to find a way to put 4 quarters of solid football together or we've made no progress.

Sad as it is to say it, our defense looked better with Daniel Davie on the sideline. I don't like talking bad about our players because I know they work their asses off to get where they are, but if you don't have it, you just don't have it.

Tommy Armstrong seems to make great things happen everytime he has the ball, we just don't always know which team those great things are happening for. He can make some phenominal throws, and he can definitely do work running the ball, but he absolutely has to learn to make better decisions with the football. I'm just afraid that that gunslinger mentality that he seems to have can't be fixed, which is a shame, because when Armstrong does it right, he looks amazing.

Alex Lewis... c'mon, dude. You're a senior. Play like one.

Don't really know what else to say... another heartbreaker, but at least it wasn't the blowout that it started off looking like it would be. Again, the comeback was impressive and it was good to see the Huskers not give up when it looked like we didn't have a shot, but we can't win big games playing like we did in that 1st quarter.

• Fire 5

This is what I learned, bear with me.

I learned why I wasn't excited for this year. When we announced the Riley hire I was initially disappointed that we didn't get a bigger name. After an hour I remembered he is a guy with a boatload of potential and experience. Yet my enthusiasm never really grew.

I guess part of me expected us to continue being pedestrian but just look differently doing it. And thus far, here we are. 1-2 and lost an opener for the 1st time in 29 years. Lost to Miami in OT after being down roughly 100-3 I think. What is this team?

Sure, in like 2 more years we could be looking at a hell of a hire. I just can't shake the feeling that this all goes horribly south and we are yet again sifting for something through the ashes.

People wonder why I backed Bo for so long. Besides the admirable humanitarianism and his loyalty to his team, I went all in with him as a fan. I pushed my chips and let the cards fall. Now I'm sitting here with a small buy back hoping to increase my stack but not let the blinds eat me alive until I have to buy back in again.

Guys I don't think I can endure a losing season. I will always be a Husker fan. This program, this fanbase...nothing like it in the world. But I can't invest my emotions into a performance like the one I saw for 3 hours today. Comebacks are fun, but the final score makes us look better than we deserved. I honestly said to my wife " A part of me doesn't want us to win, because we won't learn anything from it".

I wasn't a diehard during the glory days. I want that experience, hell I just wanna be in the conversation. I'm so damned sick of hearing POS KSU or Mizzou fans flip me sh#t after an ugly loss and know in my heart I can't say anything to defend it.

I just want so badly for this team to succeed. Lets hope Riley wises up to what the culture demands. I love Husker Nation, Go Big Damn Red.

• Fire 6

1) Miami is faster and more physical. We need more players like that.

2) We missed VV and Gangwish...DL is a bad unit...not as in bad ass...but just flat out bad. We have no speed off the edge and it makes the secondary vulnerable. The opposing QB is rarely if ever touched.

3) The secondary is vulnerable and not good. Looks like we are struggling to figure that out. J. Rose is solid.

4) OL is a bad unit. Never gave TA good protection and TA was flushed most of the game. Also, didn't open holes for Newby.

5) TA is a fighter...one of the few out there fighting the whole game.

6) Westy was tough the whole game. Has improved his punt return game too.

7) I liked what Morgan showed.

8) Liked the comeback but hated more that we didn't show up for 3 qtrs and let hated Miami take it to us most of the game. If our team cannot get up to play Miami, we have issues.

I went all-in with Bo, too. For the same reasons, as well.

But now we are in a new era and there will be some adjustments, some periods of growing pains, and in times like these we have to focus on the core values of a team.

First, this team has heart. Which often translates to telling a blues musician the amps are turned on. Every team has heart. The character of this team, though, is pretty good. This was evident by how they didn't sink to Miami's level and commit a ton of personal fouls. Sure, Lewis hurt us at exactly the wrong time, but I'm certain that won't happen again.

Second, this team listens to and trusts Reilly. This is evident by how they keep fighting and making adjustments. A team that is all-in with their coach and staff in the first year of an era, after an emotional change-over as we saw, gives reason for hope.

• Fire 2

That when you lose the coin toss to begin overtime and you get to choose the end of the field that you play on, you chose the end of the field that you just scored 23 points in the last eight plus minutes and not the end of the field where you haven't done jack.

The TV showed Riley talking to Drew Brown and Brown motioned that he would want to take that end of the field, as it would be easier to kick in that direction.
  • Fire 1