Alex Lewis social media post

Red Five

My biggest issue with this whole thing is what if this runs deeper than just Alex Lewis. Seems like there's a fair probability he's not the only player on the team with this mentality. Now I hope he is but I'm not sure that's the case. You smoke a little weed, you get suspended. You act like a complete jackass and do so representing the state and university, not once but twice and have no consequences. Not what I would call setting a good precedent for future punishments. Plus, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the team - especially those (if there are more), that have this same mentality?

My biggest issue with this whole thing is what if this runs deeper than just Alex Lewis. Seems like there's a fair probability he's not the only player on the team with this mentality. Now I hope he is but I'm not sure that's the case. You smoke a little weed, you get suspended. You act like a complete jackass and do so representing the state and university, not once but twice and have no consequences. Not what I would call setting a good precedent for future punishments. Plus, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the team - especially those (if there are more), that have this same mentality?

Well, in my opinion, this assumes that we have all the information available to us and know each individual factor that led up to Mike Riley's decision. The truth is, as much as we all think we know Alex Lewis, none of the fans know him like the players and coaches do. We also don't know what the relationship is like in the locker room or in tandem with the coaches. We just don't know.

Am I a little shocked nothing happened to Lewis? Yes. But, I'm also just as shocked at some of the opinions and bold criticisms I'm reading from some of the posters here. Some of the things people are saying about Lewis and the decision seem a little brash, unless there's some other information we have outside of the two things he's said in the last few weeks.

I agree it's not befitting of a captain and I also am surprised nothing happened to him, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know all the facts surrounding him and the team and what led up to his conversation with Riley.

• Fire 1

I wasn't there and didn't see what Lewis did, so it's hard to know how to interpret what was reported or what would be an "appropriate response." I trust the players and the coaches have a much better idea than any of us what happened and what that response should be, so I'm supportive of whatever they decide.

Lewis was probably just frustrated with the loss and expressed it inappropriately. It wouldn't be the first time somebody's sarcasm was misinterpreted and it's not necessarily indicative of deeper meaning.

Love him or hate him, Lewis has far more invested in Nebraska Football than any regular fan does. I'm positive none of the players enjoyed that loss.

Well, in my opinion, this assumes that we have all the information available to us and know each individual factor that led up to Mike Riley's decision. The truth is, as much as we all think we know Alex Lewis, none of the fans know him like the players and coaches do. We also don't know what the relationship is like in the locker room or in tandem with the coaches. We just don't know.

Am I a little shocked nothing happened to Lewis? Yes. But, I'm also just as shocked at some of the opinions and bold criticisms I'm reading from some of the posters here. Some of the things people are saying about Lewis and the decision seem a little brash, unless there's some other information we have outside of the two things he's said in the last few weeks.

I agree it's not befitting of a captain and I also am surprised nothing happened to him, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know all the facts surrounding him and the team and what led up to his conversation with Riley.

Honestly I don't see the relevance of needing to know him like the other players and coaches do. I know what he said/did, twice, and I'm pretty sure I know the full context of it (unless something wasn't reported, which I don't think is the case). My opinion is that I don't want someone like that representing the university and the state, especially when he is supposed to be a "leader" of the team. Maybe he is getting all the punishment he needs behind closed doors and if so, great. But I would feel better personally knowing that this sort of attitude and these sort of actions have a zero tolerance policy. We need to eliminate that sort of "left over" toxicity from the team before I feel we can really start moving forward and growing as a team. We all talk about how the team is "mentally weak" at times, you don't think this sort of attitude has something to do with that? The "F it" approach, if you will.