***** What Did We Learn: Southern Miss Edition *****

walksalone

Shocked that with as much experience as they collectively have, Riley & Co. still lack effective clock management

Team is just as sloppy and undisciplined as Pelini's teams were

Banker's defense would make Uncle Rico look like John Elway

Wilbon and Taylor must really suck -- same goes with Lee and Anderson

Still many dreamers out there who think Nebraska can win the division (not gonna happen)

• Fire 1

I learned that Banker or Stewart or both is a problem right now. I'm factoring in our talent level with that assessment. Some basic technique issues are killing us in the secondary. Can and needs to be rectified immediately.

I think we matchup better with teams in the Big Ten. Illinois is one of the tougher offenses we'll see vs this defense. Get past that one and we could go on a run.

This program is at a point where it struggles to beat average to below average (im being nice) teams at home.

MR's teams are penalized heavily historically, and he took that here with him

The pass defense is literally the worst in college football. obviously a coaching issue.

Armstrong is the only reason this team will win any games this year

We are so far away from being relevant again it is scary. We are an also-ran program at the moment.

4 games in, and a good argument can be made that this team has regressed under MR.

there was bound to be some regression with a new system, imo. It usually happens in most new systems with average talent. and unfortunately, that is what Nebraska has now, average talent. The pass defense is going to be as comical as the run defense of last year

I learned that Banker or Stewart or both is a problem right now. I'm factoring in our talent level with that assessment. Some basic technique issues are killing us in the secondary. Can and needs to be rectified immediately.

I think we matchup better with teams in the Big Ten. Illinois is one of the tougher offenses we'll see vs this defense. Get past that one and we could go on a run.

The same Illinois that barely eked out a win vs. Middle Tennessee State, scoring 27 points?

It's a sad day when we're hoping to slow down Illinois' offense. :hmmph

The same Illinois that barely eked out a win vs. Middle Tennessee State, scoring 27 points?

It's a sad day when we're hoping to slow down Illinois' offense. :hmmph

They are one of the better passing offenses in the B1G. Don't get me wrong, I don't consider them a really strong team but styles make fights. Teams that can throw the ball are a problem for us period.

Plus at this stage, we can't take any road win for granted.

1- What is up with all these penalties?

2- Pass defense sucks. I can't tell if it's scheme, coaching, or both. Either way something needs to change.

3- Don't bench Freedom when Gangwish comes back.

4- These LB injuries suck.

5- Gerry needs to get better at open field tackling. Unlike Cooper he always seems to get to the spot to make the tackle, but doesn't breakdown and overpersues and misses.

6- Newby isn't the answer at RB. Where is Wilson? Did he get any carries? I saw Ozigbo get a couple snaps.

7- Langsdorf seems to shy away from the run if we don't get 5+ yards on a first down run.

8- TA teabagged that S. Miss. defender. He needs to wear a cup if he already isn't because that was cutting it close.

1. A veteran coaching staff doesn't pay attention to opponents tendencies. Sharpe said on the radio the southern Miss does all kinds of things in the kicking game and yet we were unprepared for an onside kick and a fake punt.

2. Clock Management-We should have never given BYU the ball back to allow them to beat us and same stuff almost happened today.

3. Penalties-How does Westerkamp take off before the ball is snapped?

4. Our defense against the run is way overblown. No one has lined up and tried to run the ball 30-40 times this year. Of course, why should they when receivers are running free.

• Fire 1

-This thing is going to take some time.

-We need to recruit really well or will be sign of not being able to compete. We need elite lockdown corners if we want to run this defense. 5 star CB's...get them or don't play this defense. My support for this coaching staff will coincide with how well they recruit. Recruit top 15 classes and I am in. Get stud defensive recruits to play right now.

-Props to TA, Jano, Westy, and Brown made a lot of kicks.

-Love the fullback plays.

-We have a lot of injuries on defense but the unit looks bad all around. Freedom is the only bright spot. There's not a lot to say here...we know the problems...no pass rush/pressure + a weak secondary is going to mean we are going to give up big plays and points and lose games. There are a lot of injuries but it has looked bad all year.

-M.Newby on defense made some plays and gave us some speed. I'd like to see him play more.

-Offense needs a TE.

-Clean up the penalties. False start and go to the bench...we are 4 games in.

• Fire 1

I had a lot higher hopes for our defense. I thought our secondary would step back a bit given that was Bo's one bright spot. But the freefall in that area has been terrifying. I thought we would be better pressuring the QB, it was a little better yesterday yet not what we want to see. Depth, transition, scheme and focus are killing us right now.

Offensively, Tommy has come along nicely. He is making better passes and less rookie mistakes. Also nice to see him running again, someone must have mentioned to Riley that is okay to do. The receivers are clutch most the time. The line is meh, serviceable I guess. Newby looked better yesterday but didn't have much in terms of big blocking support.

Penalties. Do we need to bring this up every week? Our current theme is give up 300+ yards passing and commit -100+ yards of flags. That has to change now if this staff has any hope of turning a corner this season.

I don't think we learned any new negatives that we didn't already know.

As for positives, we learned that our redzone D is pretty good. We held them to way under their redzone scoring average and it was probably the difference in the game.

We learned that the previous staff brought in a lot of talented walkons.

We learned that there's a fullback trap in the playbook!

1. Bank-grove will cost us more games. A five year old could complete a pass against our secondary.

2. Penalties are killing us.

3. We need to find a consistent running game. I am done with the Newby experiment.

4. Tommy has improved as a passer.

5. Westerkamp and Janovich are gamers with a fight in them that needs to infect the rest of the team.