Another Appreciation of Tommy's Progress

Landlord

Just some numbers worth throwing out.

Tommy is currently 8th in the country in passing yards per game. A lot of that has to do with being asked to throw more by the coaches, but the last two years, even if he was asked to throw 30-50 times a game, I don't think he was capable of getting anywhere close to that.

He's 6th in the country in passing touchdowns with 11.

His QBR is currently 146.8. His QBR the last two seasons have been 124.3 and 133.0.

He's averaging 22/38 (58%) for 316.5 yards, 2.75 touchdowns, 1.67 INT per game, not including any rushing numbers.

These are really, really good numbers. For reference, here were Tim Tebow's average numbers the year of his Heisman - 18/27 (67%) for 252 yards, 2.46 TDs and .46 INT per game.

• Fire 7

I agree. I had my doubts about his ability and he has his faults like everybody, but the man shows up ready to play. We always think of the QB as the cause of everything,...Tommy has for the most part been the bright spot of the program. If he knocked off the plays where he tries to salvage broken plays out of desperation and just made quicker decisions to get out of that play and move to the next one or scramble for a few yards, he would look even better. A running game and receivers catching the ball that hits them in the hands wouldn't hurt either.

• Fire 1

Langsdorf has impressed me the most of all the coaches. Tommy has made great progress as a well rounded Qb, and the offensive game plan has been a nice mix with some new wrinkles added each week. If our defense would help him out some, Tommy could be in contention for all conference honors.

• Fire 1

Agreed on all counts. I had my doubts that TA was a legitimate D1 qb. He has proven me wrong in a big way. To top it off, the kid has the most heart of anyone on the team. When he pounded the ground 3 times after throwing the last int to Miami, that's all I needed to know. He clearly hates to lose and he could be my QB any day.

Ditto for Langsdorf. QB play is the only area of clear improvement this year (rush defense yet to be tested) I wonder how long we will be lucky enough to have him.

I do think Langsdorf is a good QB coach. Now, if we can just get a little better Red Zone offensive calls. His play calling yesterday in the Red Zone was questionable at best. The weird thing is that his play calling in the Red Zone over the first 3 games has been pretty good. Not sure what to make of it.

Agreed on all counts. I had my doubts that TA was a legitimate D1 qb. He has proven me wrong in a big way. To top it off, the kid has the most heart of anyone on the team. When he pounded the ground 3 times after throwing the last int to Miami, that's all I needed to know. He clearly hates to lose and he could be my QB any day.

Ditto for Langsdorf. QB play is the only area of clear improvement this year (rush defense yet to be tested) I wonder how long we will be lucky enough to have him.

I do think Langsdorf is a good QB coach. Now, if we can just get a little better Red Zone offensive calls. His play calling yesterday in the Red Zone was questionable at best. The weird thing is that his play calling in the Red Zone over the first 3 games has been pretty good. Not sure what to make of it.
Tommy is improved, but how much of that is due to the natural progression of being a 3rd year starter? I'm not so sure that we should be praising Langs for that just yet. The younger guys don't seem to have progressed much under him. And I'm really unimpressed with his play calling and time management skills. Cost us the BYU game, and almost the SMU game.

Tommy is improved, but how much of that is due to the natural progression of being a 3rd year starter? I'm not so sure that we should be praising Langs for that just yet. The younger guys don't seem to have progressed much under him. And I'm really unimpressed with his play calling and time management skills. Cost us the BYU game, and almost the SMU game.

The 3rd year starter thing would hold more weight if it was the same offense, but since it's not, I think it's more due to coaching.

• Fire 7

Really?

Does anything impress you or do you just take a crap in every thread? just wondering.....

• Fire 2

Never played against SMU

I think most of our WRs have improved under him and @wideouts. I think our offensive line has looked pretty good under him and Cavanaugh. Running back hasn't looked as good, but I'm wondering how much of that impression is biased by Ameer.

It's also pretty silly to say that x playcall here cost us the BYU game. Give him flak for the red zone offense yesterday, because that's warranted. We had ample opportunity to effectively put that game away, and we had to settle for 5 field goals. But I can't buy the playcalling costing us the BYU game. Note, he had a lot of good playcalls that let us stay in that game as well. It's not a one-way street.

• Fire 1

Agreed on all counts. I had my doubts that TA was a legitimate D1 qb. He has proven me wrong in a big way. To top it off, the kid has the most heart of anyone on the team. When he pounded the ground 3 times after throwing the last int to Miami, that's all I needed to know. He clearly hates to lose and he could be my QB any day.Ditto for Langsdorf. QB play is the only area of clear improvement this year (rush defense yet to be tested) I wonder how long we will be lucky enough to have him.

I think most of our WRs have improved under him and @wideouts. I think our offensive line has looked pretty good under him and Cavanaugh. Running back hasn't looked as good, but I'm wondering how much of that impression is biased by Ameer. It's also pretty silly to say that x playcall here cost us the BYU game. Give him flak for the red zone offense yesterday, because that's warranted. We had ample opportunity to effectively put that game away, and we had to settle for 5 field goals. But I can't buy the playcalling costing us the BYU game. Note, he had a lot of good playcalls that let us stay in that game as well. It's not a one-way street.

I wouldnt say the line looks that good. But i feel a lot of that is due to talent. Heres to hoping they're holding back some of the younsters that could actually be playing now. Although i do like Gates.