Coaches lost this game

This wasn't on the coaches. The 3rd down call was a good one and Armstrong f'd it up. I will say the 4th down call was a joke and we should have kicked the FG. Gerry is who f'd up letting a receiver get behind him. To say this is on the coaches is a joke.

I respect the 3rd down call and that Armstrong just missed a wide open throw, but you have to know that's a risk. 55 seconds and the chance to run off 30 of them should have been more than enough reason to run the ball, because the downside is incredible.

The FG from that range against the wind -- okay, so maybe you don't want to give them an extra ten yards. Just run it two times. If you make seven yards, the game is iced. If not, Illini are against the clock (which doesn't mean they can't still win it).

Or, see if you get in better FG range after the first run. Then a FG may be more acceptable, because making it ices the game, too.

Incomprehensible on so many levels.

Okay, so that kind of changes things a bit.

Maybe don't call a bootleg either -- I'd prefer a straight ahead in case the defense stays home -- but if that was the call, the awareness from Tommy is what should be called into question. He's a team leader. He can't put the game on the line like that. Has to know the situation.

This wasn't on the coaches. The 3rd down call was a good one and Armstrong f'd it up. I will say the 4th down call was a joke and we should have kicked the FG.

On both instances here, you are COMPLETELY wrong.

Illinois had no timeouts. If we run on 3rd down, our 4th down snap is going to occur with about 20-25 seconds left AT MOST. Instead, we passed it twice in a row, and Illinois got the ball back with 55 seconds left on the clock. It doesn't matter if Tommy had a wide open player and missed him, IT'S STILL ON LANGSDORF FOR CALLING THE PLAY. You run the clock, end of story.

And not kicking it was absolutely the right decision. A miss in that situation just gives Illinois better field position with a ton of time on the clock due to the silly 3rd down call. The correct play was going to be to punt. If it's a touchback, so what? Illinois has to go a few extra yards, and you burn extra time off the clock. But Foltz had shown how money he was with downing punts, so give him the chance.

• Fire 5

This wasn't on the coaches. The 3rd down call was a good one and Armstrong f'd it up. I will say the 4th down call was a joke and we should have kicked the FG. Gerry is who f'd up letting a receiver get behind him. To say this is on the coaches is a joke.

Keep fighting the good fight. Hahah
  • Fire 2

yes armstrong f'd up...just like he had been all day...so is he calling the plays? is he making a decision to throw the ball with a minute left against a team that hasnt been able to move the ball all day. kicking the FG maybe...but how reliable is the kicker? you punt the ball into the corner. make them go at least 80yds. send pressure so the QB doesnt have time to beat your pathetic CBs deep. they have no timeouts and would have less than 40secs....there is no way this is not on the coaches!
it was a calculated risk I remember another coach that took a risk in an orange bowl by going for two instead of tying it up it didn't work either but I think we all know who IM referring TO

What? The play calling was horrible. Gerry got toasted by the same craptastic scheme we've run to dead last in the FBS in pass defense. Illinois got the ball and I said here comes 6. Every NU fan knew they'd go deep and this staff did dick.

• Fire 2