Previous Staff Members in Contact with Current Players

Kaz is the only one not employed. I would bet a months pay that this goes directly to our past head coach. He has done it before, now has the funds to pay an unemployed past coach for leg work. He did it to Callahan, he is a lot angrier now.

Yep.....a bit too conspiracy theory.

I doubt Pelini is very angry. He's got a cush job, great boss and making DI coin courtesy of Nebraska.

heebus please. What part of Bos spiteful, petty narcissistic personality tells you hes not still pissed at nebraska. Not saying hes doing this, but jeez, dont just sit there and blindly defend the dick by sayin "meh hes got a nice little gig and a huge paycheck. Derpa derp".

Joe Keels posted a picture of him and Kaz with a loyalty hashtag. He is such a waste of a scholly it's not even funny. Riley should cut all the dead weight off the roster and just play the younger kids. At this point it might be the best option.

:wtf

Loyalty to what, Keels? An unemployed wifebeater? That's something to strive for now I suppose.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-if-keels-was-bust-last-season-he/article_5cff2da9-58d9-55ba-bc4d-f50640f11440.html

An article by Sipple about Joe Keels. It was written back in March. A good read, and gives some insight on the young man.

Here are some lines I thought were telling:

Joe Keels heard the buzz last season. He read it online. He was a bust, folks said.

Bust. The word ate at him.

"It kind of pissed me off a little bit when I'd read things like that," he said with a wide grin (he grins easily). "I'll make them eat their words this fall."

Sounds like the Pelini psychology.

He smiled when someone recalled Dec. 4, when Mike Riley was named Bo Pelini's successor as Husker head coach. Keels and his roommate, Alonzo Moore, were in class when they were informed of the news. Said Moore, "Who is this Riley?"

Keels had a different reaction.

"I was going crazy around the stadium, man," he said. "I looked it up and made sure it was the right coach Riley … I was real excited."

As Oregon State's head coach, Riley tried to recruit Keels out of Highland (Kansas) Community College. Keels told Moore, "You're going to love him, bro, you're going to love him.' And for the most part, everybody does love him. He's a good dude. Bo also was a good dude."

With Riley, "You have to go out of your way not to like him," Keels said.

So no hard feeling from him about the coaching change...

"I've lost so many people in my life, I know you can't hold grudges," he said. "You don't ever know when someone will be gone. As far as Kaz goes, I love him too much to turn my cheek from him just because when my pops was gone. … He was there for me. He was there the whole time.

"(Nebraska coaches) came and got me out of the bad part of Chicago and gave me a chance when a lot of schools kind of went away when they found out my background. I still talk to Kaz every week."

So there is a long-standing personal connection with The Coach because of some personal tragedy (his father was murdered). I don't see anything wrong with that.

I just hope Kaz is not using his relationship to foster a personal agenda. We can't really assume anything, though. Just rumors.

• Fire 4

Josh on USC just said a connection to the program, someone he trusts and he knows said a former coach is reaching out to players to stir the pot against Riley's staff.

Any activities like this would be grounds for legal action. For example, I can assure you that if Bo tried to undermine the team or 'stir the pot' against Riley, that would be grounds to terminate any further payments to him on his contract as well as a suit for damages etc. You can darn well bet Bo has ZERO goodwill remaining with any of the Administration and or Perlman etc. They would not hesitate to save the budget a few million and embarrass the hell out of Bo if they can. Assistant Coachs who may still be collecting money would also be in similar jeopardy. Alienation, interference with contract, slander, libel, etc. There would be numerous legal actions against anyone that is 'bad mouthing', etc. Trash talking if it is provable is actionable legally. I would think Riley and Company would have legal grounds as well.
No, those cases would be laughable (apart from a breach of contract case which would be dependent on the terms of the contract).

Nothing laughable about libel and slander. Anyone spreading falsehoods about someone engaged in their business or profession is certainly subject to legal action for such torts. Tampering with scholarship players is also a NO-NO under NCAA rules and any schools for which a coach may now be working would have some serious problems as well.

Opinions are not actionable. Otherwise, everything posted on this board would be a cao. And on the ncaa stuff, I admittedly don't know the law, but I strongly suspect Riley wouldn't have standing to make any such claims, nor would such matters give rise to civil actions.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-if-keels-was-bust-last-season-he/article_5cff2da9-58d9-55ba-bc4d-f50640f11440.html

He smiled when someone recalled Dec. 4, when Mike Riley was named Bo Pelini's successor as Husker head coach. Keels and his roommate, Alonzo Moore, were in class when they were informed of the news. Said Moore, "Who is this Riley?"

Keels had a different reaction.

"I was going crazy around the stadium, man," he said. "I looked it up and made sure it was the right coach Riley … I was real excited."

As Oregon State's head coach, Riley tried to recruit Keels out of Highland (Kansas) Community College. Keels told Moore, "You're going to love him, bro, you're going to love him.' And for the most part, everybody does love him. He's a good dude. Bo also was a good dude."

With Riley, "You have to go out of your way not to like him," Keels said.

That's a cool story about Keels. It's too bad he's not making more of an impact, but his reaction of Riley was hired is awesome.

Kaz is the only one not employed. I would bet a months pay that this goes directly to our past head coach. He has done it before, now has the funds to pay an unemployed past coach for leg work. He did it to Callahan, he is a lot angrier now.

Yep.....a bit too conspiracy theory.

I doubt Pelini is very angry. He's got a cush job, great boss and making DI coin courtesy of Nebraska.

Angry? I bet Bo Pelini is gleeful at the moment.

Anyone who thinks Bo Pelini has just let it go -- and we haven't -- doesn't know Bo.

You keep bringing up Bo Pelini's big payday from Nebraska as evidence that Bo has moved on. Not sure it works that way. Could be just the opposite.

And I think you may be overstating Tom Osborne's endorsement of Bo as it weakened with each passing year and inflammatory tape recording.

• Fire 1

This crap isn't happening at Florida or Michigan.....and yes, our situation is different.....which begs the examination as to why it's different.

Yeah, but this crap is happening at USC, which is now 1 - 2 in the Pac 12 under Steve Sarkasian, a coach we were supposed to covet. It's happening in spades in Texas, where Charlie Strong was considered a smart hire. Minnesota fans are suddenly looking at the possibility that the Jerry Kill era has already peaked.

Some very bad mojo at Penn State, which lost to Temple and nearly to Army, and up and comer James Franklin is already in the hotseat. See for yourself: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-college-football-penn-state-james-franklin

Mark Richt is in the hotseat at Georgia already. Butch Jones has famously underperformed at Tennessee. Al Golden didn't even help the case against him by beating Nebraska.

Some considered Bret Bielema a splash hire. He's done less with more at Arkansas. They're not too happy there, either.

A lot of WTF? going on at Auburn and Oregon, believe it or not.

And Florida and Michigan had nowhere to go but up. A tad more patience built into those situations.

• Fire 5

I'm with skersfan -- not the conspiracy theory aspect. It's just kind of who he is and the culture he created at Nebraska, and this is something that skersfan has been on about since before Pelini was hired, so I need to give him credit where it's due. Bo made quite the impression the first time around.

As big of a "snake" as a few believe Pelini is, he has the support and respect of those like Tom Osborne.....who knows Pelini much better than your average internet poster thinks they do.

If this is still true after the recordings, then I have lost lot of respect for Oz. But I would not be surprised if Oz was as discussed as the rest of us.