Riley Supporters Are Wrong

Redux

What a load of crap that we don't have time for a transition. We do and will have time. Let's say Riley gets it turned around and we are playing very well in the next 4-5 years and then retires. That sets the program up very well for the next coach to come in. That is something we have not had the luxury of the last three coaching changes. Maybe he gets us a conference championship in year 5 then retires. Maybe on that staff is another young coach that is ready step in and take over.

These are the things that are possible that by just saying...."we don't have time for a transition" completely ignores.

3505owi.jpg

So...in other words, you have no come back.

Thanks for playing along.

You said "Let's say Riley gets it turned around and we are playing very well in the next 4-5 years and then retires. That sets the program up very well for the next coach to come in. That is something we have not had the luxury of the last three coaching changes. "

So in other words, you hope Sub500 has us winning 11+ in the next 4-5 years.

Hope and change!

You said "Let's say Riley gets it turned around and we are playing very well in the next 4-5 years and then retires. That sets the program up very well for the next coach to come in. That is something we have not had the luxury of the last three coaching changes. "

Hope and change!

No, you pretty much didn't have any answer so you threw out a trolling post.

Hope and change!

What else is there? Look at the mess that is now Texas. Disclaimer: I believe Charlie Strong is a good/great coach. They are a team absolutely stacked with talent. However, they just aren't doing very well. Texas went after Saban and threw buckets of money at his feet. He turned them down. I wouldn't be shocked they pull the plug after this year. Texas is a more desirable job than Nebraska. Yet, they are a mess.

There just isn't a bulletproof hire out there. We've already seen a lot of lamebrain suggestions out there. Thank goodness the fans don't hire coaches. We hired a coach with a history of doing more with less. Whether we want to admit it or not, we're never going to be a recruiting juggernaut. Bo Pelini is a good/great coach when he has talent. He wasn't able to get that talent here. We don't have a Suh on this team. All of us, Eichorst included, are hoping this change bears fruit.

• Fire 1

Thank goodness the fans don't hire coaches.

No kidding. If this were the case we'd probably hire Paul Johnson. Who, by the way, after having a great season in 2014, is 2-4 this year right alongside Riley. His players, his system.

The truth is I completely understand where many fans are coming from. We're sick and tired of losing. We spent four decades being one of the greatest programs in the country and now are pretty average, and have only been average the last 14 or so years. We then see programs like Michigan hire a head coach who has things completely turned around in year one.

The problem, however, is that these types of situations are completely incomparable. Nebraska is not Michigan or any place else, and vice versa. Transition years can be rough because you need buy in, you need talent and you need a lot of things to go your way. I don't think there's a lot of buy in yet, I think this may be one of the least talented teams we've had around here in years and a lot of things aren't going our way.

I just take a more calming approach to these matters and hope for improvement in the coming years after a difficult transition. If 2-4 years from now things are really looking rough then it will be time to look elsewhere. But, I believe getting rid of a coach after one year will look horrible nationally and makes me question who would be comfortable coming here to coaching knowing a bad transition in year one could be a death sentence.

No kidding. If this were the case we'd probably hire Paul Johnson. Who, by the way, after having a great season in 2014, is 2-4 this year right alongside Riley. His players, his system.

The truth is I completely understand where many fans are coming from. We're sick and tired of losing. We spent four decades being one of the greatest programs in the country and now are pretty average, and have only been average the last 14 or so years. We then see programs like Michigan hire a head coach who has things completely turned around in year one.

The problem, however, is that these types of situations are completely incomparable. Nebraska is not Michigan or any place else, and vice versa. Transition years can be rough because you need buy in, you need talent and you need a lot of things to go your way. I don't think there's a lot of buy in yet, I think this may be one of the least talented teams we've had around here in years and a lot of things aren't going our way.

I just take a more calming approach to these matters and hope for improvement in the coming years after a difficult transition. If 2-4 years from now things are really looking rough then it will be time to look elsewhere. But, I believe getting rid of a coach after one year will look horrible nationally and makes me question who would be comfortable coming here to coaching knowing a bad transition in year one could be a death sentence.

I was actually at the Clemson-GA Tech game this past weekend. Anyone who thinks bringing the triple option here is a good idea is out of their mind. Any team with speed would destroy us, which is exactly what Clemson had. Tech was routinely getting destroyed in the backfield and I watched the whole game thinking, "Dear god, we can't have this system at Nebraska"

If the Obama reference is to the dumpster fire he inherited from the previous administration, the criticism he got for not pulling America out of the worldwide recession within his first few weeks on the job, and that the same critics refuse to accept all evidence that we actually are better off than we were 7 years ago......point taken.

I was actually at the Clemson-GA Tech game this past weekend. Anyone who thinks bringing the triple option here is a good idea is out of their mind. Any team with speed would destroy us, which is exactly what Clemson had. Tech was routinely getting destroyed in the backfield and I watched the whole game thinking, "Dear god, we can't have this system at Nebraska"

Was that the game where Georgia Tech pounded the rock 41 times for 70 yards?

Was that the game where Georgia Tech pounded the rock 41 times for 70 yards?

Yeah just this past Saturday. Tech's offense has been struggling the past couple games, but man they looked like a high school team going up against Clemson.

Not to mention, what kind of athletes could you get that would want to come here and run that system? I've never, ever been a fan of the triple option. I think it's focus is too narrow. Some people think it's hard enough to recruit talent here and the triple option would make it worse. And that would be a hell of a lot tougher rebuild than what Riley is trying IMO.

I support the head coach of my team. Especially in the first year. If that makes me a Riley Supporter, fine. Then I guess I was a Bo Supporter, a Bill Supporter, and a Frank Supporter too.

It doesn't mean that you think they are the best coach. Or that they are doing everything right. Or that they are the long term solution.

It just means you support them and want them to succeed.

Anyone who can't do that is as much of a jackass as someone who boos your favorite team at the stadium, too.

• Fire 9

I support the head coach of my team. Especially in the first year. If that makes me a Riley Supporter, fine. Then I guess I was a Bo Supporter, a Bill Supporter, and a Frank Supporter too.

It doesn't mean that you think they are the best coach. Or that they are doing everything right. Or that they are the long term solution.

It just means you support them and want them to succeed.

Anyone who can't do that is as much of a jackass as someone who boos your favorite team at the stadium, too.

+1

• Fire 1

What a load of crap that we don't have time for a transition. We do and will have time. Let's say Riley gets it turned around and we are playing very well in the next 4-5 years and then retires. That sets the program up very well for the next coach to come in. That is something we have not had the luxury of the last three coaching changes. Maybe he gets us a conference championship in year 5 then retires. Maybe on that staff is another young coach that is ready step in and take over.

These are the things that are possible that by just saying...."we don't have time for a transition" completely ignores.

3505owi.jpg

So...in other words, you have no come back.

Thanks for playing along.

sjjzf.jpg

I made a meme!