Tommy's throwing motion

Pwnyboy

I was impressed at his improvement from last season..especially the 1st game against BYU...But he has been reverting to throwing while backing up instead of squaring up..seems to make his throws off by 2 or 3 feet...He probably completes 85% when he sets his feets before throwing.

Against Wisky he looked like he was afraid of setting up and taking a hit...even with little to no pass rush... Has he been hurt recently?

Oh, I think Tommy has gotten much better. And also, he is now playing in a far more sophisticated system than he was in his last two years. There's a lot of credit to be given here.

It's just with these areas of his mechanics, total transformation is unlikely. And it's not unusual. Especially with QBs who have always been more about their athleticism and running than pure throwing, you'll get a grab bag of various inconsistencies and mechanical issues. It's why so many college QBs either don't translate to the pro game, or might ultimately change it.

Tommie's completion percentage is in the 30's his last couple of games. The perception may be that he is getting better but the numbers tell a different story.
  • Fire 1

Tommy is not a pocket passer. Roll this kid out and let him get in his comfort zone and on the short passes he needs to get a clean snap, seen way to many high snaps lately.

The crazy thing is Langs has said as much an agrees. Why we don't ditch the pocket game and use PA and roll outs to pass is beyond me.

I am waiting to see this huge increase in competitiveness that this experienced staff was going to bring.

Tommy is not a pocket passer. Roll this kid out and let him get in his comfort zone and on the short passes he needs to get a clean snap, seen way to many high snaps lately.

The crazy thing is Langs has said as much an agrees. Why we don't ditch the pocket game and use PA and roll outs to pass is beyond me.

I am waiting to see this huge increase in competitiveness that this experienced staff was going to bring.

i don't think Tommie's throwing motion is bad, he just has terrible foot work and his decision making is suspect....too many high risk, forced throws.

It's interesting to read people's opinions/breakdowns of Tommy now, to when Tommy was being recruited 4 years ago. Not much has changed. I skimmed his recruiting profile, the first and last couple pages, Zoogs and Mav are practically saying the same things now as they did before. Pretty sure it was Zoogs who first noticed how he throws off his back foot, that deep ball still isn't really hitting like you felt could be a problem.

This isn't to bag on Tommy anymore, but just interesting to look back and gauge the perception of a recruit coming in, to his current playmaking ability. And on that, it'll be interesting to see if the storyline changes after his senior year. Hopefully a QB whisperer can refine a few small tweaks because as mentioned, he's too far gone to fix some of his bigger mechanical issues.

It's interesting to read people's opinions/breakdowns of Tommy now, to when Tommy was being recruited 4 years ago. Not much has changed. I skimmed his recruiting profile, the first and last couple pages, Zoogs and Mav are practically saying the same things now as they did before. Pretty sure it was Zoogs who first noticed how he throws off his back foot, that deep ball still isn't really hitting like you felt could be a problem.

This isn't to bag on Tommy anymore, but just interesting to look back and gauge the perception of a recruit coming in, to his current playmaking ability. And on that, it'll be interesting to see if the storyline changes after his senior year. Hopefully a QB whisperer can refine a few small tweaks because as mentioned, he's too far gone to fix some of his bigger mechanical issues.

That's what stinks about noticing some of those traits early on. By the time a guy hits 17-18, and particularly by the time they're in college, I've read it can be extremely difficult to try and make wholesale technique or mechanic changes. And it's just unfortunate because it always makes you wonder what kind of a QB, or player, someone could've been if they had had some better training growing up and perhaps a more refined QB coach in college.

I'm not really applying this to TA because he still has a lot of college football left to play in his career, but, like you said Savage, it's certainly interesting to look back and gauge perception.

That's what stinks about noticing some of those traits early on. By the time a guy hits 17-18, and particularly by the time they're in college, I've read it can be extremely difficult to try and make wholesale technique or mechanic changes. And it's just unfortunate because it always makes you wonder what kind of a QB, or player, someone could've been if they had had some better training growing up and perhaps a more refined QB coach in college.

I'm not really applying this to TA because he still has a lot of college football left to play in his career, but, like you said Savage, it's certainly interesting to look back and gauge perception.

So perhaps these QB gurus should be getting paid the big bucks to coach Junior High & High School football..

Tommy still just seems like a very timing based QB. When he reads the defense correctly and his initial read is open and on time, he looks like an NFL caliber QB. It's when the coverage takes away that first option Tommy seems to either zone in on forcing a throw or he gets those happy feet and throws an awkward back footed pass. The kid has the arm strength to do it, no doubt, but imagine how much more accurate he could be if he corrected that.

I'd like to see Tommy continue to get a little bit more comfortable out there. His offensive line is protecting him well this season. We are the only team Wisconsin didn't get a sack on this season I believe. They've almost averaged 3 sacks per game in all their other contests.

The play calling and the options we give Tommy is vital. I'd like to see more plays with 1-2 quick reads or short routes, take away so many options, and tell Tommy to go here or there but if it isn't there, take off and make something happen with your legs.

I think we've kind of been heading in that direction the more Langsdord has learned about Tommy. We've just got so many weapons in that WR group that Langsdorf really has a challenge in trying to keep so many guys involved.