Mike Reilly won't be fired

My thoughts are that keeping Riley for seven years, no matter what the team's record is, makes zero sense and is pure stupidity.

See, just a little prodding on my part, and you are making great strides! :thumbs

Now, finish off your thoughts and name the guy who gets Nebraska ten wins in 2016 and tell us how Nebraska gets him here by way of Eichorst and Perlman. Make this believable and I will drop the seven years thing in a heartbeat.

By the way, seven years happens to be was my guesstimate of the half life of the toxicity of the Pelini meltdown in Husker Land. At that point, the atmosphere should be suitable enough to support a good coaching prospect to choose Nebraska over other options. The seven years keeps resetting every time you and your ilk start howling like banshees. You don't think Harbaugh isn't saying "Thank God I didn't end up at Nebraska!"?

To this day, I fail to see what Eichorst was thinking with this piss poor hire. Expecting a 0.500 coaching staff to win games is like expecting a Kia Spectra to beat a Mustang in a race. Lets face it, Mike Riley and his staff will not turn things around. When we finish 3-9 or 4-8 this season, it will be impossible to attract good recruits. We are a bottom tier team in the West division. That says it all. I don't trust this team to beat Wyoming right now. Why not fire a coach that is getting a big fat check if he can't produce on the field. Isn't that why he is being paid the big bucks. Obviously he has no idea how to coach this team to win games. When Nortwestern went up 30 to 28 and got the ball with 4:27 left, they were able to bleed the clock and finish. Something that Riley and Company could not do all season. So, why should we keep these clowns another year. Heck, if they had any decency, they would pack up and leave and let someone else try and restore Husker pride which is all but gone at this point.Opposing QBs come to Lincoln to make a name for themselves. Home field advantage means absolutley nothing. So, lets keep Mike Riley three more years because he is doing a wonderful job so far. He should be so proud of all his accomplishements this season.

• Fire 1

Change might be warranted by the end of the year before a new chancellor comes in. Maybe it was a PR stunt to hire a nice guy for Nebraska to clean up its public image. Now, the public image is close losses. A loss is a loss whether you lose 59-0 or 6-5. Doesn't matter. I don't care if we win 55-0, 10-0, a win is a WIN. National championship teams over the years have had games won by narrow margins. Winning heals all wounds.

When are we going to admit that this coaching staff is below average at best and they will NEVER get it right here at Nebraska. These coaches are meant for division II football (FCS or whatever) and not a power 5 conference. Expecting an old dog to learn new tricks is impossible so why are we surprised at the outcome. At this point, this experiment is a failed one and the sooner we end it, the better chances we have of reduced heartache risk by fans. Northwestern did absolutely NOTHING to win this game and we simply bent over (like usual) and giftwrapped it for them. We had so many chances to get a good lead and the coaches made the wrong decisions. This will not change. I will be surprised if we actually make it to a bowl game this season. I would not be surprised if we lose to Purdue next week. Their QB is 10 times better than the one we faced today.

I admit it. Send them packing. I vote for making changes now. Name an interim HC to salvage the season.

NUMBERS DON'T LIE

Nebraska is a program that for the past 7 straight season produced teams with at least 9 wins.

If Mike Riley & his staff cannot manage to produce at least 6 wins with pretty much the same talent from last season, then there is no choice...

...Nebraska MUST, Nebraska SHOULD for the betterment of the entire program, cut their losses at the end of the season, clean house, and bring in a coach that will bring back POWER FOOTBALL and a commitment to the running game.

Minus an all American running back and defensive end, right? That's like having $105 then saying you pretty much have the same amount after you spend the hundred.
Oh man do we miss Ameer. If we had him around the season would look much different. His motor just never quit. I think he would have willed us to win at least a few of these losses.
I'm sorry but your slightly delusional if you think even Ameer gains that. many more yards running Langsdork's favorite Run it up Reeve's butt play with this bad oline

Obviously we don't blow everyone out of the water with Ameer, but it looks much better. His extra 1 or 2 yards would add up. Heck, ole DL may be more willing to run with a top quality back like Ameer. Let's be honest- our backs this year are just okay. But ultimately I guess it doesn't much matter.

Thing is our backs could be handled better. We have Newby running up the middle too much when the guy just doesn't run tough. He is no more an every-down back than Cross but Cross hasn't gotten nearly the reps. Cross should get more than the occasional short-yardage connversion. Wilbon looked good in the first two games then he never gets another freaking chance. Ozigbo starts looking good then he disappears. We burn Stevenson's shirt to do be unimpressive on returns and never get carries. I did love what they were doing with Janovich, he's been a revelation this season, props for that. But even there where were his carries today?

Of course it sucks we don't have AA anymore, he was a great back, but it appears we could make better use of what we have.

Surely, (I hope) the pulling of Stevenson's shirt was totally his own decision, i.e., he'll transfer if he doesn't play or something of the sort. I haven't been a big fan of his decision making on returns. I think if we had one back who had just pulled away from the pack it would help. Newby has been good in protection, but is not a tough runner. I wouldn't mind seeing Cross get more carries, but I understand that he's not the every-down back as well. Not sure what the deal is with Wilbon (surely there's something going on that we don't know about). I like the way Ozigbo runs, and he was in for a few series today, but I don't know how well he knows the offense. On the last Illinois play he pretty much said he had no idea what was going on.

I will say I think our running back corps would be much better suited to a multi-back style of offense- get Cross and Newby in at the same time. I know one of DL's biggest things is he doesn't want to show his hand- likes to run Cross outside when you would expect it up the middle due to his size and so on. Having a couple of options in the backfield would open up the playcalling a bit I think.

In any case, I appreciate the good discussion- this can be hard to find on the board after a loss.

With all the backs, I wonder how many reps they get at practice. Maybe Oz didn't know what was going on because he never ran the play in practice? This team is not good at fundamentals, and that is on the coaches.

No way is Eichorst going to admit he made the wrong hire; he's already shown that. Riley will be here for the entirety of his contract, I have no doubt.

And for the record, do we really want Eichorst making another coaching hire? I sure don't. He needs to be gone, and let the new AD (who will be attempting to impress and earn the support of the fan base) make the splash hire we desperately need.

Eichorst and MR need to exit with Perlman.

Keep Riley for at least two more years and fire Langsdorf, Banker, Read, and Stewart. Bring in an OC with a power mindset and adapts to player abilities rather than force an obvious scrambler to try and be a pocket passer. Don't care what we do for DC as long as he gets the job done and can recruit.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. Langsdorf is one of the primary reasons why POB committed to Nebraska.

So you wouldn't fire an inept cordinator for one recruit? Makes sense. I'm sure he could either secure POB/find another QB or two. Which I think we need anyway.

POB is considered the "crown jewel" of this class, and he is the "chosen one" who will either make or break Riley's career here at Nebraska. If he does well, then Riley will say, "See, I told you I just needed my own QB" and if he doesn't, it'll be more of "Riley is a .500 coach no matter what." Either way, Riley's not gonna risk losing him.

I think MR goes 500 with POB, and wins 3 games without him.

I'm sticking with giving Riley seven years. It's the principle of the matter. If Nebraska sh!t cans two nine win coaches and then cuts a third loose because he couldn't hit nine wins, the whole state looks retarded.

Please stop

let me guess your marriage didn't last 7 years so now your bitter

Your use of the "r" word is uncalled for. I understand you're a troll, but at least expand your vocabulary.

Completely agreed. Back to back post with people using it is just sad. I have handicap sister, you never know who your offending with comments. Imo it's worse than any racial slur. It targets an entire group of people who cannot stand up for themselves.

No way is Eichorst going to admit he made the wrong hire; he's already shown that. Riley will be here for the entirety of his contract, I have no doubt.

And for the record, do we really want Eichorst making another coaching hire? I sure don't. He needs to be gone, and let the new AD (who will be attempting to impress and earn the support of the fan base) make the splash hire we desperately need.

Eichorst and MR need to exit with Perlman.
You never know it could happen. Spurrier just set a president doing it, and Riley said subtly in press conference that some players gave up or not bought in. I'd acually gain a lot of respect for him if he did hang up hat out of respect saying he isn't best fit to coach our team. One things for sure tho, Eichorst is gunna have a hangover this morning. No way he made it through last night sober.

This administration has brought in the last three coaching staffs starting with firing FS. These academic clowns know nothing about athletics. I would guess that they get tired of athletics and the popularity the sports enjoy. Is it correct to say Nebraska Football has not been the same sense this hire. Why give this staff time to destroy the program. The manner by which this staff has lost games is mind blowing. Why would any 4-5 star athletes want to come to Nebraska and have this staff coach them down. Middle school coaches don't make the stupid mistakes these coaches are. How can you not listen to TO and other former coaches when you hire a head football coach. I have no trust this staff or administration can right the ship.[/quot

This guy hit the nail on the head. Pearlman and Eichorst don't care and have no knowledge of athletics. Their only goal is to make as much money as possibly they could give two $ts if we are winning or losing as long as the money keeps rolling in which it always will. If we want to win on the field as need to fire the administration and hire people in those positions with knowledge of athletics and wants to put winning teams out there. Any idiot could tell you that If you win on the field the money will come rolling in (except pearlman and Eichorst). Fire those two clowns and replace them with the right people and we will be relevant again.

This administration has brought in the last three coaching staffs starting with firing FS. These academic clowns know nothing about athletics. I would guess that they get tired of athletics and the popularity the sports enjoy. Is it correct to say Nebraska Football has not been the same sense this hire. Why give this staff time to destroy the program. The manner by which this staff has lost games is mind blowing. Why would any 4-5 star athletes want to come to Nebraska and have this staff coach them down. Middle school coaches don't make the stupid mistakes these coaches are. How can you not listen to TO and other former coaches when you hire a head football coach. I have no trust this staff or administration can right the ship.[/quot

This guy hit the nail on the head. Pearlman and Eichorst don't care and have no knowledge of athletics. Their only goal is to make as much money as possibly they could give two $ts if we are winning or losing as long as the money keeps rolling in which it always will. If we want to win on the field as need to fire the administration and hire people in those positions with knowledge of athletics and wants to put winning teams out there. Any idiot could tell you that If you win on the field the money will come rolling in (except pearlman and Eichorst). Fire those two clowns and replace them with the right people and we will be relevant again.

Seriously. Why would Eichorst, as an athletic director, want to hire a bad coach and not care about his hire? If Eichorst wants to have a future as an athletic director (especially back at Wisconsin like so many want to believe), how would not caring help his case. Honestly, I think Eichorst went with who he thought was best. Whether that ends up working in the long term is yet to be seen.

Besides, maybe it's just because I'm in academics, but what is so wrong with academics? Ultimately, the university was created for academics and serves ~25,000 students currently. There's no reason the two can't exist harmoniously. It seems like sometimes on this board people lose site of the main vision of a university.

• Fire 1

Bottom line is, nothing is going to change until Eichorst is gone. I wish Barry Alvarez would do his alma mater a favor and retire early so that Eichorst can go to Wisconsin, and then we can hire someone who understands Nebraska football and will make it a top priority to return this program to its former glory.

• Fire 1