Mike Reilly won't be fired

Someone who runs a power-run, run-first offense that uses the run to setup the pass and not the other way around.

Basically, someone who will look at Stanford and copy that recipe over and over and over and over again.

+1

Keep banging the drum Hujan! This is the offensive philosophy Nebraska MUST bring back.

For sure. But it's more than just a power-run versus fun-and-gun. Stanford is beating the pants off people with a team full of guys like Janovich and Chris Weber. (Not making this a race thing, btw.) They are playing solid, aggressive defense, and smash-mouth offense. They are high on tenacity and will.

Sprinkle electrifying skill-position players like DPE, Morgan, and Moore on top of a foundation consisting of guys like Janovich, Webber, and Gangwish, combine it with a power-run scheme and a punishing D and you'll have a team that will win a lot of games.

^ Here is the answer.

My only twist on the formula would be using a quarterback with more dual threat ability than what Stanford's QBs and the QBs of most other current power teams have shown over the past few years.

And by dual threat, I don't really mean Taylor Martinez or Michael Vick. Think more Russell Wilson. If that seems too ambitious, think more like Joe Ganz, even. A QB who can distribute the ball but who can also make defenses account for his legs.

Absolutely. But I wouldn't make it a focal point of the recruiting focus. There is no denying that Wisconsin became nigh unstoppable with a guy like Wilson at the helm. But even a *3 ho-hum QB who doesn't have a ton of elusiveness would be highly effective in such an offense so long as he has solid fundamentals and can be taught to make smart decisions. I'm thinking someone like Zac Taylor.

Build the team around high-quality OL/DL play, add some solid LB/TE play, and the rest is pretty much details. Add in a talented dual-threat QB and/or an exceptional RB and the team becomes a playoff contender instantly.

Also, how come you no give me +1? :(

I have been giving you tons of +1s, and you are totally right on with practically every point you have made!

Ask people who are, at a minimum, somewhat knowledgeable about college football (historically) and the Nebraska Cornhuskers, to tell you what Nebraska's identity is, or what comes to mind when you mention the Nebraska Cornhuskers and their style of play. See what kind of answers you get.

It was no accident we played the style of football we played for so long here. It was built upon, first and foremost, what we had available to us. This served as the foundation of Nebraska's identity. Everything after that was supplemental. Some years our playing style may have looked slightly different than other years, depending on what kind of players we had, but there was a general foundation of strong, physical running game with an O-line that was going to pound you into submission, and a swarming defense that was going to hit you and hurt you.

For whatever reason, this way of doing things was perceived by some (particularly some with a lot of money, I'm guessing) to be outdated and obsolete. So instead we started doing what about every other generic, half-a$$ed program out there was doing, and now there is absolutely nothing distinguishable about Nebraska or the brand of football it plays. The only thing distinguishable about it now is the support and passion of its fanbase relative to its population and location. What is else is distinguishable, at all, about Husker football today?

Now, am I saying we do things exactly as we did in the 90s with our play selection and offensive scheme? Not exactly. But as far as the general style of a physical, hard-nosed O-line and running game, and vicious, swarming D with a team built on the backs of talent roughly from within a 500 mile radius, supplemented with "high star" guys from out of region to help round us out at the skill positions and any other positions of need? Heck yes that's what I'm saying.

I'm sticking with giving Riley seven years. It's the principle of the matter. If Nebraska sh!t cans two nine win coaches and then cuts a third loose because he couldn't hit nine wins, the whole state looks retarded.

This is the dumbest philosophy I've ever heard. We fired a guy who was only able to win 9 games for seven seasons, yet you want to keep a guy who CAN'T win 9 games for the same amount of time. Makes zero sense.

Keep Riley for at least two more years and fire Langsdorf, Banker, Read, and Stewart. Bring in an OC with a power mindset and adapts to player abilities rather than force an obvious scrambler to try and be a pocket passer. Don't care what we do for DC as long as he gets the job done and can recruit.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. Langsdorf is one of the primary reasons why POB committed to Nebraska.

honestly I hate to see this happening again, are we already putting all of our faith in getting some Jesus qb recruit again? He could just as easily not pan out like most qb recruits, then what? We'll be stuck trying to wco it up with out a pro caliber qb

No way is Eichorst going to admit he made the wrong hire; he's already shown that. Riley will be here for the entirety of his contract, I have no doubt.

And for the record, do we really want Eichorst making another coaching hire? I sure don't. He needs to be gone, and let the new AD (who will be attempting to impress and earn the support of the fan base) make the splash hire we desperately need.

Richt has multiple conference titles; he has wins over Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and Les Miles; he's an excellent recruiter with ties to the Southeast; he's a high-character guy; he's a Nebraska boy and still has family here. What more do you want?

He might not be be able to recruit to Nebraska like he does at Georgia, but heck, who could? He'd be able to recruit a helluva lot better than our current staff, that's for sure.

Tressel would be my second pick, for the same reasons. I'd love Gary Patterson or Chip Kelly, but I don't see that happening.

In my opinion, we can't, at this point, afford to take a chance on some young buck with no accolades and no recruiting credibility. It has to be a big name guy who kids want to play for, and who will be willing to go to Lincoln in order to play for.

Over the years, Nebraska has had many fine assistant coaches from around the country. Surely, some of them are still in coaching. Where is Kevin Steele. He was a darn good recruitier and LB coach back in the '90s? I believe he has been around the country and gained even more experience. He was good enough for Tom and he coached up some of our best defenses.

Lane Kiffen apparently might be available. His father was certainly a great coach and would have a good Nebraska connection of course.

Where is Turner Gill? He certainly knows Osborne's offense and has got some significant experience as well. He is very smart and has plenty of Husker ties.

Coaches with experience at SoCal, UCLA, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, Florida, FSU all have plenty of potential and would have good experience.

I would stay away from NFL coaches unless they are short termers with more time in the college ranks, preferrably at least 10 years of experience.

• Fire 1