Mike Reilly won't be fired

Someone who runs a power-run, run-first offense that uses the run to setup the pass and not the other way around.

Basically, someone who will look at Stanford and copy that recipe over and over and over and over again.

+1

Keep banging the drum Hujan! This is the offensive philosophy Nebraska MUST bring back.

• Fire 1

Kliff Kingsbury - would he leave Tech where he played? Go to a bigger program? Maybe not, his loyalty might be too strong with his alma mater.

Fuente - Doubt he will be available

Herman - He may still be at Houston as schools will be waiting on him to develop.

Bob Stoops - Will he be wanted out in Norman? Might be time all parties part ways.

Scott Frost - Welcome home.

Narduzzi - Leave Pitt for a bigger program?

Kirby Smart - Grade A defensive coordinator. Suprised he hasnt been named HC somewhere already.

The bolded are rumored to be on the Game c$%ks wish list.

All of the above are good choices. I'd add Venables (sp?) from Clemson as well. Their D has been solid the past few years. Is very quick. Has ties to the south and midwest. And just blanked Miami today.....58-0. Hell for that matter, throw millions at Dabo.

Your use of the "r" word is uncalled for. I understand you're a troll, but at least expand your vocabulary.

Retarded is not a swear word. There was a guy who posted m*therf*cking (sans asterisks) in the game thread with no problems and you didn't get the vapors, so how is me typing retarded a problem? No one uses that term for special needs children any more, (you certainly don't do you?!) so there is no stigma that comes from using it to describe a fan base in perpetual meltdown.

My guess is that you will either get over it or die from it, either way I don't see this being a long term problem for you.

re·tard·ed
rəˈtärdəd/
adjective
adjective: retarded
datedoffensive
less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age.
  • informaloffensive
    very foolish or stupid.
    "in retrospect, it was a totally retarded idea"
    Now tell me, is the informaloffensive definition not have traction in this discussion of coaches?

Someone who runs a power-run, run-first offense that uses the run to setup the pass and not the other way around.

Basically, someone who will look at Stanford and copy that recipe over and over and over and over again.

+1

Keep banging the drum Hujan! This is the offensive philosophy Nebraska MUST bring back.

Read an article about programs that had fallen form glory and were trying to get back. IIRC, all of them save one went with hires that are reminiscent of the "style" that won. The only school that didn't...... NU.

The identity of NU is blue collar. Farm kids. Walk ons. Physical. We haven't had a definitive identity since Frank got fired in 2003. Hire a coach with a recognized "brand" or "scheme". One who knows the Nebraska way. Get that guy and his style here. NU will never recruit the traditional "pro style" schools for QB's, receivers etc that make those schemes work. We can recruit road graders on the OL, speed skill guys and running QB's. Martinez and TA would have been very serviceable in TO's offense IMO. Throw 10-12 per game and run the option or hand off. Now zone reads etc....

Some great names have come up. Add Moneken at Army. Willie Fritz, Calhoun..... Any coach who knows how to pound the rock.

• Fire 3

+1

For sure. But it's more than just a power-run versus fun-and-gun. Stanford is beating the pants off people with a team full of guys like Janovich and Chris Weber. (Not making this a race thing, btw.) They are playing solid, aggressive defense, and smash-mouth offense. They are high on tenacity and will.

Sprinkle electrifying skill-position players like DPE, Morgan, and Moore on top of a foundation consisting of guys like Janovich, Webber, and Gangwish, combine it with a power-run scheme and a punishing D and you'll have a team that will win a lot of games.

• Fire 2

Kliff Kingsbury - would he leave Tech where he played? Go to a bigger program? Maybe not, his loyalty might be too strong with his alma mater.

Herman - He may still be at Houston as schools will be waiting on him to develop.

Bob Stoops - Will he be wanted out in Norman? Might be time all parties part ways.

Kirby Smart - Grade A defensive coordinator. Suprised he hasnt been named HC somewhere already.

All of the above are good choices. I'd add Venables (sp?) from Clemson as well. Their D has been solid the past few years. Is very quick. Has ties to the south and midwest. And just blanked Miami today.....58-0. Hell for that matter, throw millions at Dabo.

Dabo would be nice...

Veneables not so sure about. Wasn't he basically run out of Oklahoma?

Dabo would be nice...

Veneables not so sure about. Wasn't he basically run out of Oklahoma?

Yes. IMO, looking at his success at Clemson, it might be his style no longer connected with the players or his message was falling on deaf ears. They also fired Hueppel (sp?). Might have been Bob pulling a Frank and cutting bait in an attempt to extend his stay. To date it has worked.

I like all your choices above. Bottom line, everyone said Peterson would never leave Boise, but when Washington offered the money, he left. I think very few coaches (if any) are so loyal that they would stay regardless on money.

I lived in Miami when Saban was there. Promised the Dolphins he was in it to the end and then snuck out in the middle of the night to go to Bama. I bet you offered him enough, he'd leave in a skinny minute.

In this day and age, coaches expect to pay to play. We went nice and cheap with Riley.

+1

Read an article about programs that had fallen form glory and were trying to get back. IIRC, all of them save one went with hires that are reminiscent of the "style" that won. The only school that didn't...... NU.

The identity of NU is blue collar. Farm kids. Walk ons. Physical. We haven't had a definitive identity since Frank got fired in 2003. Hire a coach with a recognized "brand" or "scheme". One who knows the Nebraska way. Get that guy and his style here. NU will never recruit the traditional "pro style" schools for QB's, receivers etc that make those schemes work. We can recruit road graders on the OL, speed skill guys and running QB's. Martinez and TA would have been very serviceable in TO's offense IMO. Throw 10-12 per game and run the option or hand off. Now zone reads etc....

Some great names have come up. Add Moneken at Army. Willie Fritz, Calhoun..... Any coach who knows how to pound the rock.

Exactly. Our recruiting should focus heavily on OL first and foremost, DL close behind that, LB and TE a distant third. Build the team from the trenches upwards. Most of the lines and LB/TE can be recruited with the 500-mile radius. Go to Florida, Louisiana, Texas, etc. to find your skill players (WR, CB). Find a decent QB who can game manage; doesn't need to be a hero. QB can be local product or a hot hand from the South. Ditto for RB.

The effectiveness of the offense will be dictated by the play of the OL, TE, and RB, in that order.

The effectiveness of the defense will be dictated by the play of the DL and LB.

• Fire 2

+1

For sure. But it's more than just a power-run versus fun-and-gun. Stanford is beating the pants off people with a team full of guys like Janovich and Chris Weber. (Not making this a race thing, btw.) They are playing solid, aggressive defense, and smash-mouth offense. They are high on tenacity and will.

Sprinkle electrifying skill-position players like DPE, Morgan, and Moore on top of a foundation consisting of guys like Janovich, Webber, and Gangwish, combine it with a power-run scheme and a punishing D and you'll have a team that will win a lot of games.

^ Here is the answer.

My only twist on the formula would be using a quarterback with more dual threat ability than what Stanford's QBs and the QBs of most other current power teams have shown over the past few years.

And by dual threat, I don't really mean Taylor Martinez or Michael Vick. Think more Russell Wilson. If that seems too ambitious, think more like Joe Ganz, even. A QB who can distribute the ball but who can also make defenses account for his legs.

+1

^ Here is the answer.

My only twist on the formula would be using a quarterback with more dual threat ability than what Stanford's QBs and the QBs of most other current power teams have shown over the past few years.

And by dual threat, I don't really mean Taylor Martinez or Michael Vick. Think more Russell Wilson. If that seems too ambitious, think more like Joe Ganz, even. A QB who can distribute the ball but who can also make defenses account for his legs.

Absolutely. But I wouldn't make it a focal point of the recruiting focus. There is no denying that Wisconsin became nigh unstoppable with a guy like Wilson at the helm. But even a *3 ho-hum QB who doesn't have a ton of elusiveness would be highly effective in such an offense so long as he has solid fundamentals and can be taught to make smart decisions. I'm thinking someone like Zac Taylor.

Build the team around high-quality OL/DL play, add some solid LB/TE play, and the rest is pretty much details. Add in a talented dual-threat QB and/or an exceptional RB and the team becomes a playoff contender instantly.

Also, how come you no give me +1? :(

• Fire 1