Seriously, what happens if Ryker lights it up?

Doesn't change the fact that if it is a backup, this place will light up with derp.

One man's derp is another man's conjecture. Different names for the same thing, I guess. It's hard NOT to conjecture / derp as to what possibly could have made this a .500 season at this point.

Most everybody goes back and tries to figure out how "the one that got away" might have been brought to the net. Human nature, and not entirely a bad thing. Contemplating changing something that isn't working is how most improvements and advances happen in this world. Now, doing the same thing over and over again when it isn't working...

what if a BYU fan said before their season opening game against Nebraska that Mangum would come in, who hasnt played football in 2 years, and had only practiced for about 2 weeks was going to come in and light up the Nebraska defense and throw a game winning hail mary?

I'd say based on what we know now, insert any high school or college football quarterback in America against the Nebraska defense, and he or she would light up the Nebraska defense and IF needed, throw a game winning hail mary pass. Hell I think about 50% of the poster on this board could probably manage a TD drive or two against the defense.

I hope Tommy plays this weekend and I hope he is healthy both for his sake and for the team. Never wish ill will or injury on anyone.

With that having been said what do you think Happens if Ryker comes in and lights it up next week? I'm talking 300+ yards 3TDs and 0INTs. Purdue is terrible. I'm not saying that it is going to happen, but what happens when Tommy comes back presumably the next week against Michigan State? Is this Tommy's job no matter what?

We kind of fit in that category (Bolded) right now as well. I never know what team will show up for the Huskers, so I quit getting my hopes up over the years about "lighting up" anyone. I think Purdue is a better team than their record reflects.

Armstrong would be all conference in a better system with better coaches. Dude is a baller.

The only system I could see him excelling in is a system that either very rarely requires him to pass or a system where he is a wildcat QB.

So, something like Tebow's system at Florida.

Armstrong is a much better passer than many of our most successful QBs, for the record.

Doesn't change the fact that if it is a backup, this place will light up with derp.

One man's derp is another man's conjecture. Different names for the same thing, I guess. It's hard NOT to conjecture / derp as to what possibly could have made this a .500 season at this point.

Most everybody goes back and tries to figure out how "the one that got away" might have been brought to the net. Human nature, and not entirely a bad thing. Contemplating changing something that isn't working is how most improvements and advances happen in this world. Now, doing the same thing over and over again when it isn't working...

Here is the thing. People are trying to rationalize why we are 3-5. It falls squarely on the whole transition and lack of depth.

We can sit here and think "gosh, if only this guy would have been our starter at _________ we would have won X anount of games". There is absolutely 0 reason anybody currently on the roster should have started ahead of a 2ish year starter at QB.

I mean, we have seen Fyfe play prior to this year. He never exactly inspired awe, so why would that change now?

Here is the thing. People are trying to rationalize why we are 3-5. It falls squarely on the whole transition and lack of depth.

I call BS on this "lack of depth" excuse.

First off, one can only put eleven men on the field at once. So if they are getting beat, putting the second or third string in probably won't provide the turnaround that's needed...and if it does, maybe one needs to re-evaluate who needs to be backup and who needs to play.

Second, we have an OL coach who refuses to play anyone who is not first string...EVER. The offensive and defensive lines are where depth would help the most, and we automatically forfeit on that one.

Third, players should see an improvement over at the skill level at which they started during the season and their careers. Not too long ago, when Nebraska needed more depth at defensive back, they took a wide receiver named Stanley Jean-Baptiste and made him into a defensive back, one good enough to get a shot at the NFL. So there is always that approach.

• Fire 1

You seriously doubt we lack depth? Watch any two games this season. Notice the differences between personnel. Thats hardly them trying to figure out what works, a lot of it is from the guy ahead of them being hurt from the previous week.

We are razor thin at LB. The answer is probably not going to be convert a guy from offense to try and catch lightning in a bottle.

RF could do well against Purdue. Purdue is pathetic, and RF can throw the screens, and other short routes that TA struggles with. He may also make better decisions and do a better job at checking down. He doesn't have the arm strength of TA, and that may also help, since TA often heaves the ball deep when a higher percentage route is open. If TA is injured he needs to get healthy. His biggest asset is his running ability.

I call BS on this "lack of depth" excuse.

First off, one can only put eleven men on the field at once. So if they are getting beat, putting the second or third string in probably won't provide the turnaround that's needed...and if it does, maybe one needs to re-evaluate who needs to be backup and who needs to play.

Second, we have an OL coach who refuses to play anyone who is not first string...EVER. The offensive and defensive lines are where depth would help the most, and we automatically forfeit on that one.

Third, players should see an improvement over at the skill level at which they started during the season and their careers. Not too long ago, when Nebraska needed more depth at defensive back, they took a wide receiver named Stanley Jean-Baptiste and made him into a defensive back, one good enough to get a shot at the NFL. So there is always that approach.

No substitutes on the OL, and we wonder why we can't get a first down in the 4th quarter.