***Official Purdue Game Discussion Thread***

Mavric

Come on man, no one here is against the coaches, you seem to blame them and give the players a pass.

I keep the balance. I'll tell you when it's one or the other or both.

Players have been in position to win this game and have made too many mistakes and not made enough plays to cover them up.

You didn't use this argument the last few years, what gives?

Seven years of watching the players be out of position, running the same "pass first" defensive scheme.

I tend to expect some changes when things are going the exact same way for seven years.

Year one, new staff, they have the right philosphy and players have been in position to make plays. Tackling has improved. We are still just insanely inconsistent. It's easily there for the taking if the players just step up. It's not nearly as often you see the defenders not in position to make the play.

49 points to Purdue and you keep defending the coaches?

Tackling has improved at the LB position, but the secondary has regressed so badly that it's barely noticeable. We have soft practices, we don't run the ball, we have more penalties than any team in recent memory, and our special teams is dreadful, even while paying a guy $500k to specifically coach that unit. We're setting defensive records for futility, and have given multiple opponents their best game of the year on offense.

Nebraska needed some changes, not a bulldoze and rebuild.

Keep fighting Blackshirts! This fan base is behind you and the coaches no matter what! We got your back!

Haha! sh#t........

Come on man. No one here is against the team. You seem to blame them and give the staff a pass.

Come on man, no one here is against the coaches, you seem to blame them and give the staff a pass.

Players have been in position to win this game and have made too many mistakes and not made enough plays to cover them up.

Really...so when has it been on the coaches?

The Illinois game. No doubt about it. The rest of the games have been a little bit of both. This one and last week was mostly all players.

The tone of the game and mindset of the team is set in the off-season and Sunday-Friday in practice. That is on the coaches to build their culture. 10 months is plenty of time to establish a strong culture. Listen to how Harbaugh did it through tough practices, high expectation, and accountability in the same amount of time Riley has been at Nebraska.

The players choose to quit on this team, but the coaches allow them.

As a coach, you have to know this.

This discussion of it's the players fault VS it's the coaches fault needs to stop. They are on the same damn team. You win as a team, you lose as a team.

Thanks_Tom RR has it exactly right. This team, it's mentality, it's mindset, it's identity is built in the offseason and in how they go about practices during the week. That is on the coaches.

Have the coaches made some good play calls or had the players in positions to make plays, but just didn't execute? YES!

This season's outcome, both it's positives & negatives falls on both parties.

You didn't read what I said.

This teams mentality is not owned by Riley or his staff. It's just not.

Maybe in some situations coaches are able to come over and infect the team with their mentality, but this situation was truly unique in my opinion. Bo Pelini was a different kind of coach, he instilled a very negative us against the world mentality, and the players really bought into a negative approach to things.

Again, I don't think Riley has been able to get a hold of this team's mentality yet, and I don't blame him. It's evident when you see some of the actions of our players too, it's really not debatable that there are some lingering attitude issues.

I want to see what MR has to say in the press conference. Will he cry?

no, but he will have two awkward laughing episodes as he rationalizes what went wrong.

"Golly gosh darn guys we just couldn't get a consistent run game going, had a few penalties on special teams. The defense I thought had a good day besides those 7 touchdowns they gave up. I thought Langs called a great game, we went into this game watching Tom Brady on Thursday night and thought, 'Well Brady is white, Fyfe can certainly do the same'. We'll have practice on Monday, and who wants to come can show up. We'll have orange slices."

Keep fighting Blackshirts! This fan base is behind you and the coaches no matter what! We got your back!

Haha! sh#t........

Come on man. No one here is against the team. You seem to blame them and give the staff a pass.

Come on man, no one here is against the coaches, you seem to blame them and give the staff a pass.

The Illinois game. No doubt about it. The rest of the games have been a little bit of both. This one and last week was mostly all players.

The tone of the game and mindset of the team is set in the off-season and Sunday-Friday in practice. That is on the coaches to build their culture. 10 months is plenty of time to establish a strong culture. Listen to how Harbaugh did it through tough practices, high expectation, and accountability in the same amount of time Riley has been at Nebraska.

This discussion of it's the players fault VS it's the coaches fault needs to stop. They are on the same damn team. You win as a team, you lose as a team.

Thanks_Tom RR has it exactly right. This team, it's mentality, it's mindset, it's identity is built in the offseason and in how they go about practices during the week. That is on the coaches.

Have the coaches made some good play calls or had the players in positions to make plays, but just didn't execute? YES!

This season's outcome, both it's positives & negatives falls on both parties.

You didn't read what I said.

This teams mentality is not owned by Riley or his staff. It's just not.

Maybe in some situations coaches are able to come over and infect the team with their mentality, but this situation was truly unique in my opinion. Bo Pelini was a different kind of coach, he instilled a very negative us against the world mentality, and the players really bought into a negative approach to things.

Again, I don't think Riley has been able to get a hold of this team's mentality yet, and I don't blame him. It's evident when you see some of the actions of our players too, it's really not debatable that there are some lingering attitude issues.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this point.

Haha! sh#t........

I really think this was a unique situation Riley walked into. I don't think this was a place anybody was going to walk into and just "change the culture". There's some stuff ingrained pretty deeply here. Combine that with the gut wrenching losses to start the season, and I think it went the wrong way quickly.

You might be right. I can understand their situation, but I just can not give the coaches a pass.

I'm not totally giving them a pass, I'm just willing to give them a little time to get it fixed. You don't hire coaches and fire them 10-11 months later. Not in my opinion anyway.

Riley defenders? What now?

I'm sure whatever it is, it will involve putting one's head in the sand while singing kumbaya and imagining how this s***show staff would get us to 15-0 next season if we "just give them time".

What? This is difficult to watch no matter what, man. Ease up a bit with the smack talk on fellow Husker fans.