Time to re-evaluate our Athletic Directors job

Why do people think an AD needs to be fired if one of his hires doesn't pan out? Does your company fire it's HR manager every time one of his/her hires doesn't work out? Of course not.

The whinging on this board is reaching epic proportions.

We just lost to Purdont dude. We have hit bottom once again.

If your company HR hires a ceo that destroys your company, you bet your áss the HR gets his papers
I don't think certain people have ever worked a management level job. Otherwise, they couldn't possibly harbor these thoughts.

Way to succinctly put that garbage line to rest.

Actually, I have worked in management. I have also owned my own business. I also know to NOT let the inmates run the asylum. And you guys are the inmates right now.

What was your market cap?

It's time to let the adults run things. And adults would scrap this admin immediately.

Actually, adults would sit down and talk about all the pros and cons in a logical and rational manner. And there are not to many adults on this board.

Why do people think an AD needs to be fired if one of his hires doesn't pan out? Does your company fire it's HR manager every time one of his/her hires doesn't work out? Of course not.

The difference is in magnitude and weight. You're suggesting an HR manager making "one of his/her hires", and it turning out poorly, is the equivalent of an athletic director hiring the head football coach at one of the most storied, respected, and well-funded football programs in the country, and that hire not turning out.

Very different circumstances. You could make a list of the most important jobs in this state and NU's head football coach would be Top 5. That's not a place you can make a hire and casually not let it "work out."

The AD's number one job at the University of Nebraska is the sustained success of the football program, and that means having the right head coach in place. The baseball, basketball

and volleyball programs are nice, but they're not what makes the department tick.

1. Hr managers dont hire people. They are facilitators. Departmental managers make hiring decisons. 2. Comparing a run of the mill hiring decision to the nebraska head football coach is disingenuous at best. Thats comparing apples to elephants. Just a dumb comment.

Actually, a lot of HR managers DO hire people. And you folks have no idea what I am talking about. I'm not talking about hiring Jane Does off the street for menial tasks.

I've watched the process to find/hire new store managers for Wal-Mart. District HR managers and (and another district manager, I forget the exact title atm) make the decisions on who is going to be the next store manager. This is a huge decision that can affect many things in how the store is run including the profitability of that store. When a store manager doesn't work out, the people who hired him/her don't get fired, they simply do another search and hire someone else they feel will get the job done.

This explains a lot. f'ing Walmart. I've worked with Walmart as an independent contractor. The management of that company baffles me. I got so pissed i had to quit. They prey on the low income. What they do should be against the law. If Walmarts,costcos,etc were disintegrated it would help the economy and the lower income so much! But of course they smooth the government officials with a lot of cash. But i digress.

We just lost to Purdont dude. We have hit bottom once again.

If your company HR hires a ceo that destroys your company, you bet your áss the HR gets his papers
I don't think certain people have ever worked a management level job. Otherwise, they couldn't possibly harbor these thoughts.

Way to succinctly put that garbage line to rest.

Actually, I have worked in management. I have also owned my own business. I also know to NOT let the inmates run the asylum. And you guys are the inmates right now.
What was your market cap?

It's time to let the adults run things. And adults would scrap this admin immediately.

Actually, adults would sit down and talk about all the pros and cons in a logical and rational manner. And there are not to many adults on this board.

Wish they'd done that when they were "christaizing" on firing Bo and hiring a .500 staff to replace him.

Eichorst shot his load. All credibility is gone. He must be replaced. Now.

The difference is in magnitude and weight. You're suggesting an HR manager making "one of his/her hires", and it turning out poorly, is the equivalent of an athletic director hiring the head football coach at one of the most storied, respected, and well-funded football programs in the country, and that hire not turning out.

Very different circumstances. You could make a list of the most important jobs in this state and NU's head football coach would be Top 5. That's not a place you can make a hire and casually not let it "work out."

The AD's number one job at the University of Nebraska is the sustained success of the football program, and that means having the right head coach in place. The baseball, basketball

and volleyball programs are nice, but they're not what makes the department tick.

1. Hr managers dont hire people. They are facilitators. Departmental managers make hiring decisons. 2. Comparing a run of the mill hiring decision to the nebraska head football coach is disingenuous at best. Thats comparing apples to elephants. Just a dumb comment.

Actually, a lot of HR managers DO hire people. And you folks have no idea what I am talking about. I'm not talking about hiring Jane Does off the street for menial tasks.

I've watched the process to find/hire new store managers for Wal-Mart. District HR managers and (and another district manager, I forget the exact title atm) make the decisions on who is going to be the next store manager. This is a huge decision that can affect many things in how the store is run including the profitability of that store. When a store manager doesn't work out, the people who hired him/her don't get fired, they simply do another search and hire someone else they feel will get the job done.

Frankly, you're wrong about most hr managers.

And if Walmart let's their poor upper management continue doing a poor job, I'll be divesting my position.

Actually, no I'm not. Every company I've worked for the HR managers make hiring decisions every day.
For c level executive leadership? Are you insane.

The entire analogy is silly. Pederhorst isn't an HR manager.

Who is Pederhorst? Calling people names does not give you any credibility.

Same same but different, as they say.

Does anyone disagree with Bo assessment of SE now?

After his ridiculous post-2013 season statement I figured this guy was either clueless or full of crap. Given the manner in which he was hired(Perlman handpicking and overpaying a guy with TO frozen-out) and what happened the year after I'm led to think he's just a full-of-crap Perlman puppet.

Bo is obviously a hot-headed loudmouth but it doesn't mean he didn't have Eichorst pegged.

Does anyone disagree with Bo assessment of SE now?

After his ridiculous post-2013 season statement I figured this guy was either clueless or full of crap. Given the manner in which he was hired(Perlman handpicking and overpaying a guy with TO frozen-out) and what happened the year after I'm led to think he's just a full-of-crap Perlman puppet.

Bo is obviously a hot-headed loudmouth but it doesn't mean he didn't have Eichorst pegged.

Speaking of Eichorst being full of crap, how about his philosophy that he doesn't get involved during the season the last couple years. Now this year he's constantly on the sidelines, and he's even done an interview. Heck, when asked in his press conference, Riley said he talks to Eichorst and the administration constantly after Pelini said he's basically never had a conversation with the guy. What a hypocrite

• Fire 2

Is there any just cause to actually fire our athletic director other than 60% of a bad season of football?

Your are kidding right? Our athletics have taken a dive into the abyss since this clown came on board.What was the last championship, in any Husker sport, that we won ever since this arrogant clown came to UNL? Even our beloved women's volleyball team has failed to win the big one but at least they are respected nationally. Our football team is a joke right now. we are the punching bag of the BIG. Riley might be a nice guy and he honestly does seem like a decent man but he is not a football coach. At least not at Nebraska. Eichorst hired him and his coaching staff without even considering anyone else. That is pure arrogance and the only consequence when AD arrogance brings disaster is to give him his pink slip and tell him, I hope you learned something chump!

Wish they fired ours earlier instead of having to go through the last few years of poor management, best thing that happened, it would likely be a good thing for Nebraska as well.

Is there any just cause to actually fire our athletic director other than 60% of a bad season of football?

Your are kidding right? Our athletics have taken a dive into the abyss since this clown came on board.What was the last championship, in any Husker sport, that we won ever since this arrogant clown came to UNL? Even our beloved women's volleyball team has failed to win the big one but at least they are respected nationally. Our football team is a joke right now. we are the punching bag of the BIG. Riley might be a nice guy and he honestly does seem like a decent man but he is not a football coach. At least not at Nebraska. Eichorst hired him and his coaching staff without even considering anyone else. That is pure arrogance and the only consequence when AD arrogance brings disaster is to give him his pink slip and tell him, I hope you learned something chump!

Volleyball is just as good as it has been.

Men's basketball is just as good as it has been, with the exception of Miles' magic year, and has way more excitement than it's had since the 90's.

Women's basketball is the best it ever has been.

Football is in rough shape, but the 2 years previous were just as good as they have been.

Baseball is on the upswing and as good as it's been over the last decade.

Softball is as good as it's ever been.

I don't know enough about soccer, rifle, swimming, track & field, bowling, and whatever else, but they don't seem to have fallen off a cliff or anything of the sort.

So tell me how we've taken a dive. I haven't seen it.

Frankly, you're wrong about most hr managers.

And if Walmart let's their poor upper management continue doing a poor job, I'll be divesting my position.

Actually, no I'm not. Every company I've worked for the HR managers make hiring decisions every day.

For c level executive leadership? Are you insane.

The entire analogy is silly. Pederhorst isn't an HR manager.

I work for a top 25 company and our HR does the hiring, even for the top brass. They select who they want and then it goes in front of a board that consist of other HR reps and managers and is voted on. The hiring process is the same for everyone. The only downfall, it takes about 3 months for the process to go from start to finish.

Shti mav. I remember that post. Really makes you think.

If the proper feelers were being put out. and riley was the best most experienced we could get. Well, then, that's a Nebraska problem.

Or just Nebraska reality.

IDK, but there's this...

This morning we spoke with sources who tell us Bret checked with his connections who know the current atmosphere in Nebraska as well as anyone and was advised against taking the position.

http://footballscoop.com/news/nebraskas-short-list-played/

It's a culture thing, and IMO, it starts with Harvey.

Volleyball is just as good as it has been.

Men's basketball is just as good as it has been, with the exception of Miles' magic year, and has way more excitement than it's had since the 90's.

Women's basketball is the best it ever has been.

Football is in rough shape, but the 2 years previous were just as good as they have been.

Baseball is on the upswing and as good as it's been over the last decade.

Softball is as good as it's ever been.

I don't know enough about soccer, rifle, swimming, track & field, bowling, and whatever else, but they don't seem to have fallen off a cliff or anything of the sort.

So tell me how we've taken a dive. I haven't seen it.

Eichorst had a hand in the leadership choices in how many of those sports? Guess which one one is failing....

This could be the worst husker season, uh, ever? THAT'S epic. Epically bad.

And how does that adversely affect your personal life?

Years of shoddy recruiting have lead us to this point in time. We have some talent on this team and it's almost all on the first team. Look what happens when a starter goes down. Fyfe came in today and threw for almost 400 yards but he also threw 4 interceptions and had several other passes almost picked off. There is a pretty big gap between most of our starters and their backups. There are lots of reasons why the Huskers are 3-6 so far this season, part of that is on the coaches, even Riley agrees with that.

This program needs to be rebuilt, years of neglect and abuse have caught up.

We were one of only three teams to win at least 9 games every year from '08-'14. Things were never as bleak as you paint them except for the 5 seasons under the replacements for our fired 9 win coaches.