Time to re-evaluate our Athletic Directors job

I really have hope the university is smart enough to hire an actual chancellor that understands football and who can hire an actual good AD that can hire an actual good coach. (Disclaimer: i was 50/50 on Solich firing, i didnt like Cally hire, lost trust in Pedeybear early when he started to sh#t on traditions and former players, felt it was time for Bo to go, did not like Eichorst hire, decided to give Riley a wait and see, and have disliked the weasel Perlman since early Cally era.)

You don't like to many people do you?
Exactly what has there been to like in past 18 years? Take off the red rum colored glasses.

Win or lose, I enjoy watching the Huskers play.

I don't really care who the AD is, or who the Chancellor is. When Frank took over I thought, "man it's been a good run". Then Frank surprised me and did pretty well his first few years but by the time he was fired I knew it was time for him to go. I was excited for the future when Callahan was hired and I was genuinely sad to see him go. I knew he needed to go but I still liked the man, still do. He left with class and didn't make a fuss and has never bad mouthed Nebraska. I wasn't thrilled with the Bo Pelini hire but hey, Osborne knows far better than me, right? I was really glad to see him go. I had no idea who Mike Riley was and I had to google him but I was excited for the future again. Unlike many others though, I figured it might be a rough road in the beginning. I wish it wasn't like it is but I am realistic enough to know that all the whinging in the world isn't going to change anything.

If Riley doesn't turn this thing around, we'll fire him and try again with someone else. Sooner or later we'll find our next Tom Osborne. Until then I enjoy the ride as best I can.

Why do people think an AD needs to be fired if one of his hires doesn't pan out? Does your company fire it's HR manager every time one of his/her hires doesn't work out? Of course not.

The whinging on this board is reaching epic proportions.

This could be the worst husker season, uh, ever? THAT'S epic. Epically bad.

And how does that adversely affect your personal life?

Years of shoddy recruiting have lead us to this point in time. We have some talent on this team and it's almost all on the first team. Look what happens when a starter goes down. Fyfe came in today and threw for almost 400 yards but he also threw 4 interceptions and had several other passes almost picked off. There is a pretty big gap between most of our starters and their backups. There are lots of reasons why the Huskers are 3-6 so far this season, part of that is on the coaches, even Riley agrees with that.

This program needs to be rebuilt, years of neglect and abuse have caught up.

We played Purdue. A team that is 1-6. A team that is dead last in rushing defense. A team that scored 22 points in October before today. Uncle Rico could have been playing QB today, and there is still no excuse for losing.

I really have hope the university is smart enough to hire an actual chancellor that understands football and who can hire an actual good AD that can hire an actual good coach. (Disclaimer: i was 50/50 on Solich firing, i didnt like Cally hire, lost trust in Pedeybear early when he started to sh#t on traditions and former players, felt it was time for Bo to go, did not like Eichorst hire, decided to give Riley a wait and see, and have disliked the weasel Perlman since early Cally era.)

I never like Harvey when he took the job.........................................

Why do people think an AD needs to be fired if one of his hires doesn't pan out? Does your company fire it's HR manager every time one of his/her hires doesn't work out? Of course not.

If that hire happens to destroy the marquee representation of the brand and by far its biggest money-maker, you bet it does.

The football program hasn't been destroyed. And the AD won't let that happen either.

This is a good point that I don't really understand either. Especially in sports. Sometimes you make bad decisions and it's indicative of you being bad at your job, but sometimes you make good decisions that don't work out, because there are SO many uncontrollable elements that go into sports. Bo Pelini was a good decision to hire by Osborne. That didn't work out. Does that make that a bad hire? Not at all.

The weirdest thing is how the collective online sentiment keeps doing complete 180's, and then every step along the way it's like, "Okay NOW we know what we're talking about."

"I'm really impressed with Eichorst's press conference. Seems like a man that knows exactly what he's doing and exactly what he wants. Poised, cool, calm and collected, and he made the right decision."

"LOL WHAT THE f#*k WHO THE HELL DID WE JUST HIRE?! THIS IS A JOKE!" - We know what we're talking about

"Okay I'm starting to think that maybe this isn't such a bad hire after all. I overreacted before but now I'm level-headed."

"I am SO excited about Riley's potential to be a great coach. Hired a great experienced staff, always did more with less and with no resources, this guy is a stud, I know this for sure despite the lack of concrete evidence either way."

"Riley is straight up garbage. How can any of you think a career .500 coach would be any better than .500? I can't believe we settled for this. Saw this coming a mile away."

If it's a critical position in the company and my HR manager half-a$$es the hire you are damn right I fire the HR manager.

Even if Riley utterly fails, that does not mean it was a mistake to fire Bo Pelini.

Pelini needed firing, and proved it in his post-firing address to the team where he described his bunker mentality. Bo even used the word 'bunker' for crying out loud! Bo couldn't have proven Eichorst more correct if he'd tried.

Riley failing is a separate issue from firing Pelini. Pelini had to go. If Riley fails, that's a new problem to fix.

• Fire 2

If it's a critical position in the company and my HR manager half-a$$es the hire you are damn right I fire the HR manager.

Usually it's not HR that hires high-profile position candidates, but there's usually a company that does the search as a contractor (read: head-hunting firm).

And you'd never go back to that search firm again...

Even if Riley utterly fails, that does not mean it was a mistake to fire Bo Pelini.

Pelini needed firing, and proved it in his post-firing address to the team where he described his bunker mentality. Bo even used the word 'bunker' for crying out loud! Bo couldn't have proven Eichorst more correct if he'd tried.

Riley failing is a separate issue from firing Pelini. Pelini had to go. If Riley fails, that's a new problem to fix.

:clap

:clap

Exactly!

Look, this hire was horrible in every sense of the word.