Overtime: Purdue Post-game Overreaction

Mavric

So Gangwish is a nice guy. That's great and all, but just like Riley, it clearly doesn't translate to wins.

He did the best thing a player can do, showed thankfulness to the fans who have stuck with the program and traveled even though a horrible year. The fans support him he is supporting the fans. Great gesture.

He has gone up in my book.

I certainly didn't expect the dumpster fire we're seeing this season.

I thought Pelini was fired a year late, which probably had the effect of separating his negative behavior with his severance in the eyes of many. I think fewer people would have questioned it if he were fired after the 2013 Iowa shitshow the same year that secret "f#*k-you" tape #1 was released. It was already long obvious he didn't want to be here.

Eichorst should have had a year to find the right replacement. But...

The way to support the program now is to bear with Riley and co. this year and next, and see where we're at. Nebraska absolutely cannot make another coaching change right away, because that will be the end.

I wonder if Riley knew what he was coming into here. Did he expect people to be happy and supportive of him? Because that's not what he walked into. People here are either pissed off about #9wins being fired or so insecure and pessimistic that things probably couldn't have gone anything but badly after the first slightest mis-step.

I wonder if Eichorst ever talked to the players about why Pelini was fired, other than his press conference. I thought his press conference was a poorly worded mix of "not winning the games that matter" with "not a leader of young men." There could have been a lot more buy-in on a lot of peoples' parts if Eichorst had just been direct, thorough and honest from the beginning.

Anyway, we are where we are. Too many people pulling in too many different directions and poor communication all around have led the Huskers to become capable of losing to 1-6 Purdue. I feel bad for the guys on the team who are "all in," and for the coaches.

But none of this is rocket science. Winning is as simple as players deciding that's what they're going to do. At Nebraska, that decision is worth about 9 won games a year. If they decide they want more than 9, that's where they're going to have to dig a little deeper.

So let's think who we could get? You have to be ready (even if you don't pull the trigger). Before today I thought Riley's chance of being gone after year 1 was like 5%. But it took a big jump today. I'd say it's up to 20%. Get blown off the field the last 3 games and it is going to be a 50/50 proposition so you have to be ready. I'll throw these names out there:

Justin Fuente - hot name, likely will be grabbed by one of the open programs.

Scott Frost - his name is always going to be in the discussion. Do I think he is going to win big right away? No, but I just don't think he'd tolerate the crap we have been seeing and I think he'd be seen as a longer term solution, likely doesn't have the crony staff baggage, brings offense and defense back to the style that wins here.

I don't think you could get David Shaw from Stanford (even with big $) but has anyone tried big $ on Dabo Sweeney?

Gus Malzahn - hearing from Auburn fans their season is pretty much done, so what about Malzahn? Most of their fans are saying this is a transition year and they are expected to be good next year. If he fails expectations next year he may be in trouble. I think Malzhan could be pretty good here. He'd be a name to watch if Riley performs poorly again in year 2 and Auburn fans tire of him.

Matt Wells from Utah St.

I think Eichorst did do his job

I think the hiring of Riley was thoroughly vetted.

Neither Riley nor his staff has ever been successful except for a short period in the CFL.

IMO, Riley was not after a winning coach. He wanted a Ward Cleaver type of guy.

IMO, the hiring of Riley was a slap at Pelini

All of this is just my opinion

Please tell me how taking a slap at Pelini is SE's job.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard in my entire life. And I once heard someone say they liked Crystal Pepsi.

Truthfully I don't understand why we fired Bo, without having a guy in our sights, or at least the RIGHT guy in our pocket to take the job.

If you're in an abusive marriage, you get a divorce. Period. Even if you don't have a supermodel lying in wait, even if it costs you the house, you get out of that relationship.

Yeah, cause obviously an abusive marriage is that same thing as a Bo Pelini coached team.

He resented the fanbase, the media, and the athletic department, he didn't want to be here, and it consistently led to the ugliest kinds of blowouts and losses or ugly close wins against inferior competition. What about that sounds at all healthy?

You still don't get it

We obviously have a difference of opinion and it is equally obvious you consider yours as the correct one

I know Eichorst detested Pelini. He did not like his attitude, his demeanor nor his persona.

A slap at Pelini was neither the sole or main criteria in the selection process. Eichorst wanted a coach that was everything Pelini was not... Smooth, approachable, likeable and controllable.. He equally wanted someone that was not what Pelini was, crude, vulgar, defensive and struggling with anger management issues.

The ability to coach, to win was secondary.

This entire staff should be fired. Period. There is no need for debate.

That being said, it's not going to happen on SE's watch. There will be some staff changes, and Riley will be given time to bring in his own guys. People will continue to convince themselves that things will get better. Well, I've got a spoiler for you: they won't.

This entire staff should be fired. Period. There is no need for debate.

That being said, it's not going to happen on SE's watch. There will be some staff changes, and Riley will be given time to bring in his own guys. People will continue to convince themselves that things will get better. Well, I've got a spoiler for you: they won't.

Let's get Mark Richt. Georgia is only 5-3 after getting mud stomped by Florida today. I bet Bulldog fans won't miss him. :devil