Members From Other Fanbases: What's YOUR Take?

NU used to represent what was best in College football. Somewhere along the way, you got lost.

From what I know, it is not money, facilities or interest from the community. Whatever that is, it needs to be fixed.

If fact, I will go with Einstein definition of insanity with regard to your current coach and overall situation.

When you get a flat tire, you take care of it cause continuing to drive on it will not result in a good situation and you will never get where you want to go.

• Fire 2

Badger fan here.

From the outside, I think the torch and pitchfork reaction is understandable, but completely irrational. You have a new coach who is 9 games in to his first year. He's lost something like 4, last second games. The man may very well be a bad coach, but you've not even let him finish a single season before demanding that the entire administration of the university be fired. If that's not delusional craziness, I don't know what is. Again, I get it, losing is painful, but it's only been a handful of weeks!

Has been very surprising to see how vicious many have become as soon as the team loses. You all like to call yourselves the best fans in college football, and for often very good reason. However, to me, if that's to continue, a big part of that should include supporting your program when you're not having a good year.

One might argue that's a better measure of being a good fan.

I think people would feel better if this was an unproven coach with a sh**ty season. But a seasoned coach with many of the losses falling on mistakes that can easily be blamed on him. Doesn't bode well.

• Fire 6

Badger fan here.

From the outside, I think the torch and pitchfork reaction is understandable, but completely irrational. You have a new coach who is 9 games in to his first year. He's lost something like 4, last second games. The man may very well be a bad coach, but you've not even let him finish a single season before demanding that the entire administration of the university be fired. If that's not delusional craziness, I don't know what is. Again, I get it, losing is painful, but it's only been a handful of weeks!

Has been very surprising to see how vicious many have become as soon as the team loses. You all like to call yourselves the best fans in college football, and for often very good reason. However, to me, if that's to continue, a big part of that should include supporting your program when you're not having a good year.

I think the anger is more directed at admin, specifically ADSE more then anything else. No one in the fan base wanted this hire. His name never came up as a remotely desirable candidate. I think everyone tried to convince themselves that it would be OK and that with our resources Riley would show he's not as awful as his 30 year record as a HC suggests.

I think most of the angry people just feel that they were completely sold a bill of goods by this admin. If you were to tell me today that we could get rid of Eichorst or Riley I would say SE in a heartbeat. I'm not really sure this football program can move forward until SE is out anyway.

The sunshine pumper crowd are just being what they consider to be loyal fans. That's fine with me. Loyalty is a good trait

All the divisiveness on this issue really comes down to what you think your role as a fan entails. Some think that means blind loyalty and support regardless of how bad the product on the field is, some think that criticism shows we are passionate and will not tolerate being a laughingstock. A small minority fall in the middle and espouse parts of both.

• Fire 4

IMO, had Riley come in and been honest from the jump, people would be more understanding. He came in talking about the talent. He came in here talking about being hired to win. he talked about using the running game. Using the players he had. He stated that he believes in tailoring the program to what you have on hand as it relates to scheme. He and his staff brought in like 800 years of coaching experience. Unfortunately, 9 games that appears to be nothing but coach speak and a prime example that quantity doesn't equal quality.

Had he come in and said that there will be some growing pains, that there will be some bumps in the road. A new staff getting to know the players and vice versa. That new schemes is not easy, at any level. to implement successfully in year one. That merging different systems is difficult at times. I think we would have been set up for what we have witnessed thus far and the back lash not so extreme.

The rest of the season with MSU and Iowa will be interesting. Riley was hired as he showed the ability to "win big" games. Hopefully this weekend is one of those.

• Fire 6

Badger fan here.

I think the anger is more directed at admin, specifically ADSE more then anything else. No one in the fan base wanted this hire. His name never came up as a remotely desirable candidate. I think everyone tried to convince themselves that it would be OK and that with our resources Riley would show he's not as awful as his 30 year record as a HC suggests.

I think most of the angry people just feel that they were completely sold a bill of goods by this admin. If you were to tell me today that we could get rid of Eichorst or Riley I would say SE in a heartbeat. I'm not really sure this football program can move forward until SE is out anyway.

The sunshine pumper crowd are just being what they consider to be loyal fans. That's fine with me. Loyalty is a good trait

All the divisiveness on this issue really comes down to what you think your role as a fan entails. Some think that means blind loyalty and support regardless of how bad the product on the field is, some think that criticism shows we are passionate and will not tolerate being a laughingstock. A small minority fall in the middle and espouse parts of both.

I know a majority of Husker fans want some kind of connection to the University when it comes to hires. SE was suggested by Alvarez for the position. That is how he got into the picture. I still think we should have gave the job to Paul Meyers.

IMO, had Riley come in and been honest from the jump, people would be more understanding. He came in talking about the talent. He came in here talking about being hired to win. he talked about using the running game. Using the players he had. He stated that he believes in tailoring the program to what you have on hand as it relates to scheme. He and his staff brought in like 800 years of coaching experience. Unfortunately, 9 games that appears to be nothing but coach speak and a prime example that quantity doesn't equal quality.

Had he come in and said that there will be some growing pains, that there will be some bumps in the road. A new staff getting to know the players and vice versa. That new schemes is not easy, at any level. to implement successfully in year one. That merging different systems is difficult at times. I think we would have been set up for what we have witnessed thus far and the back lash not so extreme.

The rest of the season with MSU and Iowa will be interesting. Riley was hired as he showed the ability to "win big" games. Hopefully this weekend is one of those

Sounds like he would have made, a good politician. lol

GBR!!!

As a Husker first and Sun Devil second, I have had a lot of discussion with fellow ASU fans about the state of Husker football. ASU went through a lot of years being a middle of the pack team, and the fan base was pretty disinterested. In a city of over 3 million people, the team was having a tough time pulling in 50,000 to the games. They went through several coaching changes, going from those with less experience (Koetter) to very experienced (Erickson) and got the same results. When they brought Todd Graham here, it was not a very popular decision because of how often he jumped from job to job, and most expected him to do the same here. But one thing that Graham has going for him is a lot of passion. Sometimes that can come across as arrogant, but the guy cares about his team and his players so much. He is very visible in the public and is always "selling" ASU to anyone that will listen. Thanks to his efforts, and him kicking in several hundred grand of his own money, the stadium is going through a long overdue upgrade. He still pisses people off (see the current argument with Scott Frost about stealing signals) but his passion can never be questioned. This year has been disappointing (especially after Herbstreit predicted them to make the playoff), but the support for Graham is unwavering.

This is what I just don't see from MR. So many have mentioned his behavior on the sidelines, that he rarely seems to be actually coaching and trusts in his (what most of us believe to be mediocre) staff to do the coaching. And, another thing that ASU has going for it is an AD who is excellent. He is dialed in to all of the sports here, is seen constantly at a ton of games, and he engages with the student athletes very well. I don't think anyone would ever say that about SE...

Most ASU fans that I've spoken with feel badly about the current Husker situation, and appreciative of what they have instead. They want the Huskers to be better and view NU as one of the teams (like Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, etc.) that make college football better when they are relevant, like them or not. They have shared with me that they are surprised at just how negative the Husker fan base has become so quickly, but that makes sense because ASU fans lived through several years of bad coaching in the past that lasted far too long and were never that fired up about it.

Badger fan here.

Hate to say that a Wisky fan has the best post I've seen in weeks +1 sir!

So local sports radio here in Phoenix was talking about the various jobs that Rich Rod has been linked to and where he might end up. They mentioned that the struggles that UofA is having this season might cause a problem, because usually it takes success at a program to jump to a better program. Then they said this little nugget: "Well, unless you're Mike Riley, where he's turned a once great Husker program into the Oregon State of the Midwest." Ouch.

Talking to KSU, OU and OSU - Stillwater - fans here in Tulsa they are disappointed in our fall from the top. They and I think college football is not the same without NU in the mix nationally. Everyone has a hard time wrapping their brains around a NU team wt a 3-6 record at this stage. They expected it of Univ of Tulsa the past few years but even UT is 4-4 and could finish 7-4 with Baylor's x offensive coordinator has its new year 1 coach. Funny, or not so, so many schools being turned around by coaches who are new and yet NU goes backwards wt an 'experienced' coaching staff. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around it as well.

I'm not going to the Okla Husker Club this weekend - I've missed more this year than previous years. Not because I want to miss but when the team plays this way - I can't stomach the poor performance. - this could become a problem when others find more important things to do as well and the sell out streak ends.

As a Husker first and Sun Devil second, I have had a lot of discussion with fellow ASU fans about the state of Husker football. ASU went through a lot of years being a middle of the pack team, and the fan base was pretty disinterested. In a city of over 3 million people, the team was having a tough time pulling in 50,000 to the games. They went through several coaching changes, going from those with less experience (Koetter) to very experienced (Erickson) and got the same results. When they brought Todd Graham here, it was not a very popular decision because of how often he jumped from job to job, and most expected him to do the same here. But one thing that Graham has going for him is a lot of passion. Sometimes that can come across as arrogant, but the guy cares about his team and his players so much. He is very visible in the public and is always "selling" ASU to anyone that will listen. Thanks to his efforts, and him kicking in several hundred grand of his own money, the stadium is going through a long overdue upgrade. He still pisses people off (see the current argument with Scott Frost about stealing signals) but his passion can never be questioned. This year has been disappointing (especially after Herbstreit predicted them to make the playoff), but the support for Graham is unwavering.

This is what I just don't see from MR. So many have mentioned his behavior on the sidelines, that he rarely seems to be actually coaching and trusts in his (what most of us believe to be mediocre) staff to do the coaching. And, another thing that ASU has going for it is an AD who is excellent. He is dialed in to all of the sports here, is seen constantly at a ton of games, and he engages with the student athletes very well. I don't think anyone would ever say that about SE...

Most ASU fans that I've spoken with feel badly about the current Husker situation, and appreciative of what they have instead. They want the Huskers to be better and view NU as one of the teams (like Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, etc.) that make college football better when they are relevant, like them or not. They have shared with me that they are surprised at just how negative the Husker fan base has become so quickly, but that makes sense because ASU fans lived through several years of bad coaching in the past that lasted far too long and were never that fired up about it.

I think the players at Pitt he dropped like a bad habit probably feel otherwise:

Graham informed the Pitt players of his departure the following day by having a text message forwarded to the team by director of football operations Blair Philbrick.