Those of you that called out players for not playing hard or believing...

I think its directed at the people who questioned the talent of our players as a way to blame Riley's struggles on Pelini Tonight showed that our players have the talent to beat a top ten team despite bad coaching. The players overcame both tonight bless them. Very proud of these kids.

I forgot about my account and started posting again just today, so I can't respond to the validity of this, BUT if it is true (meaning poster saying that), then that is just silly. Mike made his own bed with trying to force a certain style of play while using players that are not really cut out for that style.

This victory was proof that the players as a group haven't been playing up to their potential, I admit it.

It's hard to play to your potential in a scheme that doesn't fit the talent you have, and the coaches make mind boggling play calls.

We have talent. Last night proved it. It'd be great if we had coaches that knew how to utilize it.

• Fire 2

I basically have the rule that I don't like calling players out individually by name.

However, I have no problem making blanket statements that the team in general played with out heart against Purdue. They came to that game and played like they either thought they didn't have to try or they didn't care.

They played totally different last night. Glad to see it.

• Fire 1

I don't think there's anything to own up to, teachercd. I'm extremely proud of the team, but, don't pretend that one game completely negates the fact that at times this year players 1) didn't believe and 2) weren't playing hard.

Hell, Jordan Stevenson and Matt Finnin left the team. Prior to there departure, that's at least two players who were likely doubting the direction of the program and lacking faith in my opinion. I don't see a way to argue against that. We all had VERY valid reasons for questioning the mindset of this team prior to the MSU game, and their victory does not change the past.

Furthermore, I still personally stand by what even I said about Gerry and some other players in recent weeks. At times, in my opinion, it was pretty clear we had players giving up on plays and not putting in as much effort as they could.

Did they change that Saturday? Yes. Does that magically undo games like Purdue? No.

Where is your evidence of these "facts?

#2 is plausible, although if they were confused or were frustrated it might explain why they weren't playing hard, which would be understandable, but not necessarily justifiable.

#1 sounds like a continuation of the conspiracy theory

Well, the facts for me are in the game film, particularly from Purdue. There were several plays, mainly when Purdue was extending their significant lead, where guys were either slowing down on plays or not putting in a ton of effort. The Gerry play is one in particular. A week or more prior, Jamal Turner slowed down on a route that would've been a touchdown had he kept going (and actually caught it).

Now, two players also left the team in the last week. A lack of faith in the direction of the program, or not believing in their future with the program, are the most likely and reasonable explanations for their departure - especially Stevenson. But, I'd be interested to hear what other explanations people could come up with for this. Though not a "fact," to me, these situations depict players who lacked faith or belief in their roles at Nebraska.

Nebraska beating MSU does not magically undo that.

• Fire 1

Again, players play, coaches coach. Remember this was one game. One game that the whole team played from start to finish this season with a purpose. Rutgers is horrible. Maybe the worse team in the Big 10. We will come out flat. Most teams do come out flat after a hard fought win. Good thing that we are playing who we are this week. Do I think the future is looking better? Absolutely! Is there room for improvement? Yes. Can we beat Rutgers with a sub par game? Yes. Effort will determine the outcome in this game.

I do expect a close game, and a win, but warning everyone, that the hangover effect will be in motion.

Iowa on Turkey Friday, now I expect the same emotions in that game, as we demonstrated against MSU.

Again this is not a negative post. I will question players not giving it there all. Despite who coaches this team. They are here for the most part on a scholarship. They owe it to themselves and the fans to always play 100% all the time. We should never expect less. That is when you know our talent and depth are not up to par. These players know that the ones behind them are not up to the task. This causes players to get lax.

Calling out players- with everyone on TV now, and with media, we don't have to worry about calling too many players out. The media will do that for us. Again, if a player is being lazy, they should be held accountable, by everyone. Its business. College football is all about the money.