Bowl Eligible at 5-7

I don't post here a lot, but I do read many of the posts during football season. I haven't seen this discussed yet, or if I did, I may have missed it. If we can still pull out a win against Rutgers, which I think we can based on last night's play, we'd be 5-6. Then assuming a loss to Iowa, we'd be 5-7. There's a real possibility that there won't be 80 teams with at least a .500 record this year to fill the 40 bowl games, so there likely will be be a few teams (handful) that would be bowl eligible at 5-7 to choose from to fill remaining spots. 5-7 teams that get picked for bowl games come from the Top 5 ranked teams by APR, or Academic Progress Rate. Nebraska right now has the highest ranked APR. So, if we get the win against Rutgers, we'd be at the top of the list for bowls to choose from to fill the last remaining spots for bowl games. While it may not be a prestigious bowl, it would still be a bowl game nonetheless, maybe slight salvation for the kids and staff.

This article details this scenario for Indiana's chances of making a bowl game, but the same principles apply to Nebraska.

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2015/11/3/9663910/indiana-and-other-college-football-teams-could-make-a-bowl-game-at-5

I think we got a real chance to win our last two. The positive vibes of this win should carry over and boost us to the win in NY. Then we come home and play Iowa. A last game for the team without a bowl and it will surely be known if there are enough 6 win teams to fill all the slots. i think we would accept a bowl bid unless our last two games go badly for some reason or some other controversy arises between now and then. I think the players will actually benefit by a bowl game and would probably win it. I would really like to see them fight hard, win the last two reg season games and the bowl game and finish with a surprising 7-6 record. Who would have thunk it a couple days ago. But it seems as likely as not to me right now.

i think that kind of finish will save our recruiting chances somewhat. We needed a couple of those close losses to be wins but they aren't there. Hopefully high school players and coaches will realize how close this team came to being pretty good record wise and that if they join us, their talent and skills will once again put Nebraska back in the national title picture. It can happen. We need two great classes with the right guys in the right positions and we can win the Big Ten. We showed, with a few breaks, a tremendous effort and a little devine intervention, anything is possible. Huskers can once again RULE!

• Fire 1

If we win out I think we will go 'bowling' because the folks that finance these bowls know that Nebraska fans travel well-it's money in the bank. But-we CANNOT dismiss Rutgers. I'm afraid that if we go down there with a 'big head' after winning against Mich. St. that we will fall flat on our faces. I hope the coaches/players prepare for that Rutgers game just as much as they did against Mich. St. While Coach Riley is considered 'The Spoiler' in winning against ranked teams, he also loses against teams that he should've been an easy win. I hope they just take one game at a time and that we win them all! GBR!

The record used to have to be 6 wins against Division 1 teams. That has changed, now it depends on how many bowls your conference has contracts with. I think the Big 10 has 12 bowl spots. Crazy I know but that is what I have read. Hopefully we show up well against Rutgers and get a heck of a game with Iowa!!! GO BIG RED

Got a source for that? Because I count 10. 11 if we get two teams in the top bowls. http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/college-football-bowl-schedule.php