Michigan State LB'er on the atmosphere

Don't think my comment deserves a new thread, so this seems like a good place to put it. In the aftermath of the game I saw several Sparty players with their heads up, seeking out some Husker players and giving congratulations. That made a huge impression on me. I can see MSU becoming our Oklahoma...a team we respect but hate to lose to. I can also see Iowa becoming our Colorado....a team we just plain hate. It may not work out that way but I think we needs those kinds of rivalries in the long run to make this conference a little better all around.

If I heard it correctly we will not play Sparty for like 4 or 5 years. WHich is too bad cause I like the game, typically a great matchup.

Don't think my comment deserves a new thread, so this seems like a good place to put it. In the aftermath of the game I saw several Sparty players with their heads up, seeking out some Husker players and giving congratulations. That made a huge impression on me. I can see MSU becoming our Oklahoma...a team we respect but hate to lose to. I can also see Iowa becoming our Colorado....a team we just plain hate. It may not work out that way but I think we needs those kinds of rivalries in the long run to make this conference a little better all around.

If I heard it correctly we will not play Sparty for like 4 or 5 years. WHich is too bad cause I like the game, typically a great matchup.

Agreed. Next meeting (unless there is a B1G Championship Game) is 11/17/2018

That speaks volumes considering some of the other atmospheres they play at in the Big Ten. Michigan, OSU and they say there is nothing like Nebraska... Good job fans, especially considering that noise was for a 3-6 squad trailing by two scores in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter. In the videos it sounded unreal.

This is kind of what I thought, too. From a numbers standpoint, tOSU and Mich. have us beat. But, obviously, numbers don't mean everything. Memorial Stadium at night has routinely been one of the toughest places to play in CFB. Night games at a lot of places are just really special.

I know we take a lot of flak for the 'Greatest Fans in the World' bit, but not many stadiums would have been like that for a 3-6 squad Saturday.

CU fans were bad, but their teams were not all that good. I didn't see them as any more of a rival than Missouri, in fact I disliked Missouri more. Colorado was just our forced rivalry because of the conference split. Although they have sent us into our spiral from that beating in 2001, besides their early 00's teams, Nebraska handled the Buffs pretty well.

I am guessing you weren't around to watch the series from '87-'94? Pretty heated IMO. Plenty of animosity on both sides to go around. That includes our fans with "Sals Dead" signs and chants.

I'd forgotten about that until I read it just now. Pretty classless move on the part of those fans. Sal died from stomach cancer and from what I've heard that's a pretty painful way to go.

Sal Aunese also is the father to Bill McCartney's grandson. The guy knocked up his head coaches daughter.

I lived in Iowa for a while. Had a church youth group I work with. They were just blindly hateful of Nebraska. No real basis I could determine, they just hated the Huskers. I'd let them (some of the young guys) go on and on and on about how the Huskers suck, etc (and we didn't back then)....after a while I'd just say. "Well, when it takes more than....oh.....zero fingers to count your legit national championships, we'll talk," "OH...Nebraska sucks"....LOL

I have a couple of cousins from Iowa and they are insufferable haters of Nebraska.

I have a cousin from just across the river in Iowa, and he defected to Nebraska at an early age.

I grew up in Iowa from the age of 10 on. I lived in SW Iowa. The first thing you have to understand about Iowa is that it is that there are East of Des Moines and West of Des Moines Iowans. People East of that line look down upon Western Iowa as being low life hicks unsophisticated people that go to ISU and are like Nebraskans.

There are lost of Nebraska fans in SW Iowa because it is the forgotten part of Iowa. It is the ugly step child of the rest of Iowa.

My brother in law is from Pocahontas, Iowa he really isn't even a big football fan, but will definitely tell me when Iowa beats Nebraska.

For me.

MSU = Oklahoma

Ohio St = Texas

Iowa = Colorado

Wisconsin = Mizzou

Northwestern = Kstate

Minnesota = Iowa State

Iliinois/Purdue = Kansas

I would flip CU and Mizzou with Iowa and Wisky. The main reason is that both Colorado and Wisky were/are nationally relevant and Iowa and Mizzou just have sh**ty fans and average at best football teams that when they are above average (about once or twice a decade) get vastly overrated by their fanbase. Which makes beating them all the more satisfying.

I chatted up with a few MSU fans around the Haymarket bars after the game Saturday, they were all enjoyable to speak with. I did mentioned to them that the MSU game is one I always look forward to and think it's been my favorite rivalry and wish it would stick. I got the impression they seemed disinterested about a Nebraska rivalry, no biggie or anything either.

I think Dantonio is a good coach, but I'm not a big fan of him.

I chatted up with a few MSU fans around the Haymarket bars after the game Saturday, they were all enjoyable to speak with. I did mentioned to them that the MSU game is one I always look forward to and think it's been my favorite rivalry and wish it would stick. I got the impression they seemed disinterested about a Nebraska rivalry, no biggie or anything either.

I think Dantonio is a good coach, but I'm not a big fan of him.

I get the impression we make them nervous. Even the two losses in 2014 and 2013 were relatively undecided until late.

From an MSU fan:

i sat with some friends from Omaha whose season tickets had been passed down since 1940. Great seats around the 35 yard line, so I was surrounded by "green-seater" types. However, I was blown away by how willing everybody in the section was to stand up (on almost every defensive down) without bitching. Moreover, the noise was deafening, even louder than SS at its peak. Very impressive atmosphere. I can only imagine how difficult it was for Cook and Co. to run the offense. The fans were congratulating me before the game on our wonderful season, and mentioned that they hoped our team could show them a thing or two about winning. The celebration/party on the field and in the stands was also cool. You can tell that everyone has a deep connection to the school, which spans generations. There were no fair-weather followers, from what I could tell. All genuine and knowledgeable.