College Football Playoffs Legit or a scam?

Nebhawk

Looking at the newest rankings and looking at message boards on various sites has me confused.

Consider the fact that Iowa's biggest games this season will be the narrow win vs Wisky and when they come to Memorial stadium in two weeks. They are #5.

Consider Notre Dame, an Independent, ranked where they are, and the schedule they have left. Remember the Big 12 was left out last year because of a lack of Conference title game. Is the committee setting up Notre Dame with the same arguement this season. Is the playoff committee going to make a point to not let Notre Dame in when its all said an done this season?

I think this is how its going to play out on most ends. Clemson will get in. Alabama/Florida winner will get in for the SEC. If Ohio St and Iowa go into the BIg 10 Champ game both Undefeated, the winner will go.

That leaves Notre Dame and the BIg 12 champ. If a Big 12 team remains undefeated, they will get in this year. IF the BIg 12 champ is OU with only 1 loss, they will get in based on strength of schedule.

What is the thoughts on this Playoff system for this year?

Not saying that it is a scam, but pointing out that last year the Big 12 was left out for not having a Champ game. And if thats the case, Notre Dame shouldn't be considered this year because they don't even have a conference to play in, and have one loss.

If Notre Dame wins out, they probably deserve to be in it, with their only loss coming to the top ranked team, and victories over Stanford, USC, and Pitt. They don't have any HUGE games outside of Clemson, but they have an entire season schedule of decent opponents.

Baylor, on the other hand, as one Big XII example, played SMU, Lamar, and Rice, but if they finish out with wins over OU, OSU, and TCU, they'll probably get in over Notre Dame. The point is, they haven't played those games yet, so thus far their body of work is pretty mediocre.

The Big XII conference schedule is extremely backloaded. The playoff rankings right now, reflect what has happened until right now, and are completely pointless. The only reason they exist is to sate the appetites of fans - the playoff committee knows that what they put out right now doesn't matter one bit.

The current system is worlds better than the BCS ever was. Granted the computer system takes the emotion out of it and the committee adds the eye test to the equation.

As far as certain teams being at a disadvantage (ND and Big 12) that is kind of on them. ND decided their independence was more important than positioning themselves for the future. And the Big 12 left TCU and Baylor in the cold last year by not crowing one true champ as their motto claims. After being left out, they did't do much about it in the offseason.

Not saying that it is a scam, but pointing out that last year the Big 12 was left out for not having a Champ game. And if thats the case, Notre Dame shouldn't be considered this year because they don't even have a conference to play in, and have one loss.

Well, you certainly implied it could be.

The Big 12 was left out last year because their best team lost a game, and didn't have enough of a resume, including a championship game, to overcome that. There's no vote point total or anything, but I suspect Baylor was awfully close to Ohio St. Show a better defense through the season and maybe they get in. No championship game was a factor but not the only reason.

Can't tell about this year yet, but watching it unfold last year, I was convinced that a panel of college football experts were watching the teams and games very carefully, and making sound qualitative judgements about the best and most deserving teams for the first college football playoffs.

I thought they got it as right as a 4 team playoff would allow.

Enough that I don't think we need a larger format.

Can't tell about this year yet, but watching it unfold last year, I was convinced that a panel of college football experts were watching the teams and games very carefully, and making sound qualitative judgements about the best and most deserving teams for the first college football playoffs.

I thought they got it as right as a 4 team playoff would allow.

Enough that I don't think we need a larger format.

but we know, it won't be that way year in and year out.