Rutgers, What did we learn?

Branno

The TD pass to Westerkamp made me uneasy...very good throw, but was it the right read? Looked like triple coverage?

It was zone coverage, he threw it between the zones. Risky, but it shows confidence in your reciever and solid understanding of the defense.

Tommy's tendency to throw the ball to the other team is going to always limit him and this team.

I wonder what NU's record for interceptions is? He's gotta be coming up on it. :facepalm:
We've had some bad QBs, so my shot-in-the-dark guess is it's a ways off yet.
Ha ha! Just to be clear, I don't think Tommy is a bad QB. He has a great talent set. But he has a tendency to make bad throws when he's under pressure or the play doesn't go as planned.
He's seriously Brett Favre; he's a gun slinger, a gambler, a good blocker, has a cannon, is a competitor, and is tough as hell. One play makes you say wow! The next wtf? And he wears number 4... I really wonder if that's why he wears it? They said Tommy will be on The Journey this week and he met with Favre...

LOL, the Wow to WTF ratio is a little off compared to Favre.

Armstrong is unquestionably the leader of the offense, and perhaps the whole team. This team needs his leadership more than it needs fewer interceptions from him. I don't care how many interceptions he throws, as long as we win. I'll learn to live with it. But I think he'll be even better next year. And if this team can play better next year and get the running game going a little more maybe he won't need to sling it around so much.

The TD pass to Westerkamp made me uneasy...very good throw, but was it the right read? Looked like triple coverage?

It was zone coverage, he threw it between the zones. Risky, but it shows confidence in your reciever and solid understanding of the defense.

Tommy's tendency to throw the ball to the other team is going to always limit him and this team.

I wonder what NU's record for interceptions is? He's gotta be coming up on it. :facepalm:
Ha ha! Just to be clear, I don't think Tommy is a bad QB. He has a great talent set. But he has a tendency to make bad throws when he's under pressure or the play doesn't go as planned.
He's seriously Brett Favre; he's a gun slinger, a gambler, a good blocker, has a cannon, is a competitor, and is tough as hell. One play makes you say wow! The next wtf? And he wears number 4... I really wonder if that's why he wears it? They said Tommy will be on The Journey this week and he met with Favre...

LOL, the Wow to WTF ratio is a little off compared to Favre.
You do remember Brett Favre don't you? The guy with the record for INTs in the NFL. Plenty of wtf there. Brett threw 34 picks in college too. Tommy will likely end up with a similar number of attempts and passing yardage as Favre did at Southern Miss, but with more passing TDs and more INTs.

Maybe not so many wows, but Tommy has some impressive skills, and big cajones.

• Fire 1

We've only had 4 quarterbacks that have started since their freshman year, as far as I am aware, so as was pointed out already, he's already 2nd all-time in school history in interceptions in large part because of how many games he's played.

Joe Ganz probably holds that record. :D

Joe was only the starting quarterback for 16 career games, so no, I doubt it.

Tommy is averaging 1 interception per game over his career as a starter. That's not good, and something that needs to have progress.

I don't have much that I learned, rather more of a realization.

Of the defense that started today, NU only loses Gangwish, Cockrell and Rose for next year (and maybe Collins, fingers crossed here). All good players, but not irreplaceable. The talent is there and will be even better next year, so hopefully the coaching doesn't let them down.

On offense, the oline will look different, but appears more talented for next year. Again, assuming the coaching doesn't let the team down, the oline should be improved. The vast majority of skill players are back for 2016. And this, my friends, has me excited.

I'm sure most of you probably already realized all this, but last week and today are the only games I've sat and watched this year, and it's tough to judge by listening to the call on the radio (harvest doesn't care about Saturdays).

GBR

We've only had 4 quarterbacks that have started since their freshman year, as far as I am aware, so as was pointed out already, he's already 2nd all-time in school history in interceptions in large part because of how many games he's played.

I wonder who pointed that out already? hmm... :rolleyes:

Not a very good opponent but the defense played one of its best games. You can see if the defense puts it all together it will be fun to watch. I still think we need some stud DB's and pass rushers.

Cethan Carter had a great game. When up 21-14 we absolutely had to have that 50/50 TD catch and he grabbed it. Another INT would have been really bad for us there.

Imani Cross had another good game.

Iowa will be a great measuring stick to see how much we have improved this season. I think we will be a dog but I also think if we put one of our better games together we have a shot.

Lots of other teams melted down today. LSU? Stanford? UCLA? Like who can we steal? ;) Those 3 all had no business losing. Baylor too bit the dust but that was a tough opponent in OU.

• Fire 1

Joe Ganz probably holds that record. :D

Joe was only the starting quarterback for 16 career games, so no, I doubt it.

Tommy is averaging 1 interception per game over his career as a starter. That's not good, and something that needs to have progress.

this is also the same reason he may pass up Martinez for either the passing yard/offense record holder. Longevity.