Props to the defense.

soup

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/with-rutgers-checked-off-huskers-ready-to-bring-attitude-vs/article_34c6bb96-8b27-11e5-90cb-77ea550c3cb0.html

Rutgers gained just 259 yards for the game and 3.86 yards per play. Those are the lowest numbers allowed by a Nebraska defense since the 2014 Florida Atlantic game. Against Power Five teams, you'd have to go back to the 2013 Michigan game.

That's hard to believe, but believable at the same time.

• Fire 2

I want to know who the last P5 team besides Michigan was, because that team was still suffering from PTSD when we played them.

Rutgers is not a good team, but that does not diminish how well our defense played today, and depth played a HUGE role in that. Banker was able to get more creative having more bodies to use. Props to everyone.

• Fire 2

The defense played very well tonight. I was honestly shocked. We still tried to give it away on offense with the incessant passing, but the defense continued to keep Rutgers from scoring. I hope this keeps up for Black Friday.

38 rushes vs. 21 passes = incessant passing?

Yes, at times. Or just passing when we shouldn't have. When you're up 21-0 with 4 minutes left in the half and your run game is doing decently, run it on first down. We passed it on 1st down two series in a row IIRC and threw 2 interceptions.

The defense played very well tonight. I was honestly shocked. We still tried to give it away on offense with the incessant passing, but the defense continued to keep Rutgers from scoring. I hope this keeps up for Black Friday.

Yes, at times. Or just passing when we shouldn't have. When you're up 21-0 with 4 minutes left in the half and your run game is doing decently, run it on first down. We passed it on 1st down two series in a row IIRC and threw 2 interceptions.

The picks were just bad throws. The play calling was fine.
  • Fire 2

This argument went back and forth over and over in the game thread. It's not solely on the coaches and it's not solely on the QB. The coaches know what they have with Armstrong. A QB who completes 50% of his passes and too often makes bad decisions. It's up to them to help him with the play calls. Unfortunately I don't remember what type of pass it was but imo it should either be playaction or a run on first down with that lead near the end of the 2nd quarter.

• Fire 1

I would say that good vs bad play calling involves a careful and prudent consideration of the players on the field, including a QB with a propensity to throw INTs at some of the most inopportune times. Frankly, if Tommy throws just one interception yesterday, we win this game 38 - 7 without the cardiac tension the middle of the third quarter again. This game was almost under control by the Huskers but not quite! So, I do think that some of the issue with the interceptions has to do with play calling. If the coach calls a few more runs on 1st down, we likely have another 75 yards rushing per game which equates to 150 yards of passing and consumes another 6 minutes of game time reducing the number of minutes the opponent has the ball and reducing the number of yards given up on D. Our defense has bad statistics in part (not solely) to the offense failing to dominate the time of possession and putting the Defense in bad spots field position wise, etc. Three interceptions set up their offense with the advantage vs our defense. Actually, the defense played even better than the stats may indicate IMO.

• Fire 1

Actual math doesn't fit the pitchforks and torches delusional fan narrative.