What Did We Learn: Iowa Edition

What did Tommy have to get on the ACT or SAT to get into Nebraska? Honest question.

Greatest fans in college football my ass. You guys sicken me.

I'm definitely not the greatest fan. I cheer for Nebraska through thick and thin, but I have had enough with a player who isn't smart enough to understand that throwing off his back foot makes him a less efficient QB. I hope the best for Tommy as he bleeds Husker Red, but time for the coaching staff to move on.
Throwing off his back foot doesn't make him stupid. Much like being able to type doesn't make you intelligent.
I never said "stupid." I said not smart enough to be a good quarterback.

I found waldo. Tommy will probably start next year, but he needs to find a rhythm and get out of this funk he is in. I think if he doesn't Patrick Obrien will be waiting to take his place midseason. Tommy looked alright at the beginning of the season and had mental lapses that led to numerous interceptions. After he came back from that injury he was not the same, he has thrown 9 interceptions since he came back from injury and threw seven before that. Tommy will be Tommy but I wish the kid the best and hope he does great things in the future.

Langsdorf says the play was intended for Reilly on the fade route.

Langsdorf says he didn't want to run because he was afraid it would get stuffed.

Tommy says he threw a bad pass.

Riley says there were other options.

Riley says he will talk to Langsdorf about whether we should have run the ball.

The announcers said we should have kicked a field goal and reduced the game to a one possession game at that point.

Everyone here says we should have run the ball.

Langsdorf says that when they were all coaching at Oregon State they believed in "outsmarting" the opposing team with "outsmarting" play calling which would explain why they keep calling plays like that in situations like that... because they are trying to outsmart the other teams coaches rather than just play smashmouth football.

Langsdorf and Riley agree the play will be looked at because it didn't work.

Hope that clears everything up. LOL

What did Tommy have to get on the ACT or SAT to get into Nebraska? Honest question.

Greatest fans in college football my ass. You guys sicken me.

I'm definitely not the greatest fan. I cheer for Nebraska through thick and thin, but I have had enough with a player who isn't smart enough to understand that throwing off his back foot makes him a less efficient QB. I hope the best for Tommy as he bleeds Husker Red, but time for the coaching staff to move on.
Throwing off his back foot doesn't make him stupid. Much like being able to type doesn't make you intelligent.
I never said "stupid." I said not smart enough to be a good quarterback.

You literally asked for the SAT/ACT scores he needed to go to NU... what does that have to do with football IQ?

I would say the scores have plenty to do with a player's tendency towards intelligence and ability. Smarter football players tend to perform better (ex: Suh) Pretty sure the NFL has a type of "IQ Test" they use on incoming players. Wonderlic test:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_test

So he may be on to something. As in us being the best fans your ass...well you live in Austin so become a Horns fan if you don't like us. I'm sure they can use your support right now.

We would have beat Iowa minus four interceptions.

The defense is much better than when Bo was coach, we were in all of the games this season and not one nationally televised blowout (and humiliating) loss.

WR's were falling down, did they forget how to run?

Does Tommy know how to check down to his receivers or make decisions on the fly? Seems everytime he goes back to pass, he knows exactly where he is going to throw it and chucks it to that receiver whether he is open or not. This is not the kind of QB you want running your offense.

Tommy doesn't fit this offense at all, maybe next season we will have a QB that does.

I've seen some bright spots this season and I am actually somewhat optimistic about what Riley can do here once he gets his kind of players on the field. As with any coaching change, we'll just have to wait and see.
  • Fire 4

Despite issues that will need to be fixed I am very optimistic heading into next year.

Defense improved throughout the year.

With a QB who fits the system we could have a very stout offense.

Tommy made some bad decisions all day and without the 4 picks we win the game. The loss isn't all on him though.

Never got blown out this year which is good.

Looking forward to next year and I do believe this staff will be successful over here.

• Fire 1

What I learned from this game is that Riley can't develop a game plan and the AD got exactly what he wanted in a coach. I have never seen a coach so out of touch with the game. You watch Riley on the side lines and you can't tell if were winning or getting killed. No affect at all.

I feel sorry to the team they are being set up for failure. Yes, you can blame TA for 4 picks and who can count the bad throws, but it is the coaching staff calling the plays. This is the future of Cornhusker football as long as Riley is in charge. Recruiting will be a joke, what kid wants to come and play for a mediocre team?

Thanks go to the AD for bringing us Riley, and he got his wish we aren't like Iowa. They are undefeated.

Despite issues that will need to be fixed I am very optimistic heading into next year.

Defense improved throughout the year.

With a QB who fits the system we could have a very stout offense.

Tommy made some bad decisions all day and without the 4 picks we win the game. The loss isn't all on him though.

Never got blown out this year which is good.

Looking forward to next year and I do believe this staff will be successful over here.

I agree with some of what you said, but I think the Purdue loss counts as a blow out. Just saying

I don't care for this coaching staff by and large, but the 4th and 1 fade was not exactly the primary call, Cethan Carter was standing all alone on the other side of the field, but Tommy threw to the end zone because he. . .yeah I don't know why he did it, honestly. Carter likely walks it in easily if Tommy turns his head slightly to his left.

Yeah, or you run 1 yard for first down and have 4 more plays....there's always that.

The pass play was there. The blown call was third and 1 not just plowing Armstrong straight ahead behind center, where Iowa didn't have anybody lined up. Ran it off-tackle or whatever instead and got stuffed.

I guess I'm too dumb to figure out how to imbed the tweet.

More proof as to why TA needs to concentrate on his classes and have a good life away from football. He is legally retarded at playing the QB position. The really frustrating part is that a lot of the less intelligent posters will blame the coaches when they are trying to win games with a QB that is the equal to having one hand tied behind their back due to his lack of football intelligence. TA has guys wide open and most of the times chooses the wrong guy to throw to. That is on Bo's sorry ass for not recruiting anyone better and no depth. Now we are faced with starting a true freshman next year or face another year of bad QB play that will cost us games. TA just needs to go away and give his scholarship to someone who won't sabatoge the season with his poor decsion making.

Do you realize that calling people retarded does not help make any sort of point, and does you no favors in looking more intelligent than the "less intelligent" posters you are attempting to call out? I think your post is an absolute insult to many very knowledgeable posters on this board. So, if they don't agree with your assessment that our loss or losses are all TA's fault and not on the coaches, they are not as smart as you? You narrow point of view reminds me of the Lieutenant that yells charge at the first sight of the enemy without ever looking at the larger picture. Every leader or coach in this situation, needs to evaluate the strengths and weakness of his team. They must understand his own teams center of gravity and evaluate the opponents center of gravity to better understand how to beat them. To over simplify, you then put your players in the best position you can based on this to win games. Yes, many times things can be attributed to TA and his poor decision making. However, it is on the coaches when they continually call plays that are not suited to a player who struggles throwing and accurate ball, does not account for the weather and does not display the decision making a veteran QB should. There are other questionable coaching nuggets we have all seen throughout the season as well, but this post is already long enough.

Know your enemy and know yourself your victory will be painless.

Know the weather and the field your victory will be complete.

SunTzu

The Art of War

Suffice it to say, Tommy is not a good quarterback. He isn't doing anything, any differently this season, than he did in past seasons. He stepped in for a Martinez, who was every bit as bad. As tempting as it is, to have a quarterback who can run the ball, after all these years, it is painfully apparent, you need a quarterback who can throw first.

Incredibly, in spite of having good depth everywhere else, the previous staff left us with NO one at quarterback. They're obviously, all equally inept.

Although if we were to somehow, find ourselves in a bowl game, I would encourage the staff to give the other guys more game experience. Tommy can take us no further.

• Fire 1

I don't care for this coaching staff by and large, but the 4th and 1 fade was not exactly the primary call, Cethan Carter was standing all alone on the other side of the field, but Tommy threw to the end zone because he. . .yeah I don't know why he did it, honestly. Carter likely walks it in easily if Tommy turns his head slightly to his left.

Yeah, or you run 1 yard for first down and have 4 more plays....there's always that.

The pass play was there. The blown call was third and 1 not just plowing Armstrong straight ahead behind center, where Iowa didn't have anybody lined up. Ran it off-tackle or whatever instead and got stuffed.

https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/670397559517540353

I guess I'm too dumb to figure out how to imbed the tweet.

More proof as to why TA needs to concentrate on his classes and have a good life away from football. He is legally retarded at playing the QB position. The really frustrating part is that a lot of the less intelligent posters will blame the coaches when they are trying to win games with a QB that is the equal to having one hand tied behind their back due to his lack of football intelligence. TA has guys wide open and most of the times chooses the wrong guy to throw to. That is on Bo's sorry ass for not recruiting anyone better and no depth. Now we are faced with starting a true freshman next year or face another year of bad QB play that will cost us games. TA just needs to go away and give his scholarship to someone who won't sabatoge the season with his poor decsion making.

Do you realize that calling people retarded does not help make any sort of point, and does you no favors in looking more intelligent than the "less intelligent" posters you are attempting to call out? I think your post is an absolute insult to many very knowledgeable posters on this board. So, if they don't agree with your assessment that our loss or losses are all TA's fault and not on the coaches, they are not as smart as you? You narrow point of view reminds me of the Lieutenant that yells charge at the first sight of the enemy without ever looking at the larger picture. Every leader or coach in this situation, needs to evaluate the strengths and weakness of his team. They must understand his own teams center of gravity and evaluate the opponents center of gravity to better understand how to beat them. To over simplify, you then put your players in the best position you can based on this to win games. Yes, many times things can be attributed to TA and his poor decision making. However, it is on the coaches when they continually call plays that are not suited to a player who struggles throwing and accurate ball, does not account for the weather and does not display the decision making a veteran QB should. There are other questionable coaching nuggets we have all seen throughout the season as well, but this post is already long enough.

Know your enemy and know yourself – your victory will be painless.

Know the weather and the field – your victory will be complete.

SunTzu

The Art of War

Great post. You show a deeper level of analysis than many people are capable of.

Yes Tommy had an awful, awful game, but he was grossly mismanaged for the 11th and probably last time this season. Literally everyone reading this board knows that Tommy is a poor passer, that his strength is not passing, and yet our coaches called for 45 passing attempts, or 50%+ of the offensive plays on a day that was cold and windy. That is playing to your weaknesses and setting yourself up for failure. It's poor leadership by definition. This kind of inability to adapt to the resources you have is indicative of why these coaches are sub 0.500 over their long careers. We're never going anywhere with this kind of inflexible mentality.